Mo - Heisman watch?

Reaction score
With the returning O-linemen, Morgan's maturity, improving receivers & defense. Mo's proven ability to rush for over 200 yards and score 4 TDs in multiple games. 2021 will be very exciting as we all know coach Fleck loves to play ball control let's run out the clock with a second half lead.

Doak Walker Award favorite for sure, I would think.
I love Mo, but he'll probably be slotted behind Hall (ISU), Brooks (Oklahoma) and whoever starts for Alabama (because they play for Alabama). Should be right up there in contention though if he can stay healthy, we have team success, and he continues to get the bulk of the work (for his sake, I do hope we can spell him some against the softer teams on our schedule in ways we could not this past year given if he averages 29 carries this coming year he'd end up with 375 carries in 13 games (that would be just a hair less than Derrick Henry got the ball for the Titans over the course of a 16 game season)

If Minnesota wins 10+ games and he does what he did last year he could and would be in the mix.
That is both a team and individual award

If we score when we have the ball and the defense gives up 70 yard TD's every possession like last year he'll have a lot of opportunities to pad the stats. Offense will have the ball A LOT.

He can't have Kent Kitzman carry totals every game out and expect to survive the entire schedule.

Fortunately, PJ and his coaches do a pretty good job of mixing in running backs and those guys behind him have another year under their belt.

The key is the Big Heavies up front!

He can't have Kent Kitzman carry totals every game out and expect to survive the entire schedule.

Fortunately, PJ and his coaches do a pretty good job of mixing in running backs and those guys behind him have another year under their belt.

If the Gophers can field an average BIG 10 defense (instead of one of the BIG 10's worst), the principal factor forcing us to run Mo into the ground with 30+ carries a game (a huge injury/tiredness problem in a 12 game schedule with one bye week) will disappear. If our defense improves to simply average in 2021--it has nowhere to go but up--I think Mo's utilization will probably be more rational and he will be a force throughout the long season.

Doak Walker Award favorite for sure, I would think.

Agree that Doak Walker is probably a more realistic goal in this day and age where the Heisman almost always goes to a QB. But RBs have won it so I guess it is possible with a huge year.

If he averages what he did last year and we win the west, maybe.

Remember when the Gophers had a campaign for Chris Darkins?

So in 7 games in 2020, Mo had 1,160 yards rushing total with 202 attempts and 9 TDs.

That's about 29 carries per game with an average of 5.7 per carry. If we do some napkin math to extrapolate those numbers to 12 games we get 348 attempts with a total of around 1,983 yards on the season, and 15 TDs.

Using 2019 as a comparison, with those number Mo would have had the 5th most rushing yards on the season (just behind Jonathan Taylor), he would have had the most rushing attempts, and he would have been about 12th in total TDs. He's not even in the top 50 for average rush per attempt, but that's a difficult statistic to compare RBs with sometimes.

Unfortunately, while I would love if he was in the running, he would have to probably improve on those statistics immensely to be in the running.

EDIT: This was all wrong, my bad

Last edited:

So in 7 games in 2020, Mo had 1,160 yards rushing total with 202 attempts and 9 TDs.

That's about 29 carries per game with an average of 5.7 per carry. If we do some napkin math to extrapolate those numbers to 12 games we get 348 attempts with a total of around 1,983 yards on the season, and 15 TDs.

Using 2019 as a comparison, with those number Mo would have had the 5th most rushing yards on the season (just behind Jonathan Taylor), he would have had the most rushing attempts, and he would have been about 12th in total TDs. He's not even in the top 50 for average rush per attempt, but that's a difficult statistic to compare RBs with sometimes.

Unfortunately, while I would love if he was in the running, he would have to probably improve on those statistics immensely to be in the running.

Your bolded is incorrect as you listed 2018 stats there (which was 10 games). Probably looked at the wrong line in the middle typing.

His 2020 stats were 7 games, 1,076 yards (153.7 per game) and 15 tds

Mo's 2020 stats over 13 games would be something more like 2000 yards and 28 TDs.

Your bolded is incorrect as you listed 2018 stats there (which was 10 games). Probably looked at the wrong line in the middle typing.

His 2020 stats were 7 games, 1,076 yards (153.7 per game) and 15 tds

Mo's 2020 stats over 13 games would be something more like 2000 yards and 28 TDs.
Ooop, yep. My bad

Let's try this again:

Over 7 games in 2020, Mo's stats were:
ATT: 201, YDS: 1,076, TD: 15, AVG: 5.4

So extrapolated to a 13 game season:
ATT: 373, YDS: 1,998, TD: 28, AVG: 5.4

Now compared to 2019 stats, since that was the last full season for every team, he would place:
ATT: 1st, YDS: 5th (though, there was a tie for 3rd), TD: 1st, AVG: somewhere in 80-85th

Jonathan Taylor was talked about for the 2019 Heisman, but was not a finalist. His rankings were:
ATT: 2nd, YDS: 3rd (tie), TD: 3rd (4 way tie), AVG: 30th

So, if Mo put up numbers identical to or better than 2020 over 13 games, he'd probably be in talks for it. He'd probably want to improve his avg yard per carry, thus improving total yards, the most to cement being in the running. If he was #1 in ATT, YD, and TD I gotta imagine he's a finalist.

Curious how many & which Gopher records will Mo break or set this year?
He needs about 1700 yards to catch Thompson for 1st all time in rushing yards. He does that he'll get the single season record (1629 from Cobb). Needs 10 TDs to take 1st all time in rush TDs. If he gets the 1700 yards, I'd sure have to imagine he's also getting the TDs. The 18 rush TDs is always a tough one because there's a lot of luck involved, but with his pace from the past season, he'd have a shot

No chance Mo is a Heisman candidate. He may have an NFL career, but he is not an elite athlete who is better than all other D1 football players.

With these players getting an extra year (extra year due to this covid year not counting) - do we see this as Mo’s last year?

With these players getting an extra year (extra year due to this covid year not counting) - do we see this as Mo’s last year?
If I'm Mo, i'm thinking of the next draft after this season....

With the returning O-linemen, Morgan's maturity, improving receivers & defense. Mo's proven ability to rush for over 200 yards and score 4 TDs in multiple games. 2021 will be very exciting as we all know coach Fleck loves to play ball control let's run out the clock with a second half lead.

Much of winning the Heisman is the University lobbying the voters with weekly contact and profile representatives pushing voters. Our University was not interested before...Marony so I doubt would happen today.

Kent Kitzman! Man that brings back memories.

Top Bottom