Mitchell commits!!

I think you can sell to a potential PG that we can play Mitchell with another PG because Mitchell can shoot the 3 so well. I think that the disservice we did to Cooper and Battle was play them so many minutes. Spread the time around a little more among a better guard crew. They have fresher legs, shoot better and play D better.

Amen! Hope the coach recruits enough depth that he can abandon that 36 minute per game starter mentality. Really he must try to do that. He's failed twice with the strategy of playing his starters too many minutes. I realize he had little in reserve but he has to change that.

my updated depth chart.....
1-Mitchell
2-Christie, Carrington
3-JOJ, Betts
4-Garcia, Ihnen
5-Payne, Fox

give me another guard that can push both mitchell/Christie and the idea of playing 3 guards(like bens first year)
a 3rd guard for depth
a solid back up center
a big wing(3) type. especially if we cant get another high end guard to push the agenda
1-Mitchell/another portal PG
2-Christie, Carrington
3-JOJ/Betts
4-Garcia, Ihnen
5-Payne, Fox

Or this:

Mitchell
additional portal PG/combo G
Christie/Carrington
Garcia
Payne

Would love to see some sets with 3 G's. Depends on matchups of course. What will other teams be playing at the 3, etc...

I will be happy IF we get AT LEAST ONE MORE G and then maybe some sort of big to back up the 4 and 5. If the other 1 or 2 spots aren't HR's I can live with that. In the end we will only play 9-10 guys anyway.

1-Mitchell/another portal PG
2-Christie, Carrington
3-JOJ/Betts
4-Garcia, Ihnen
5-Payne, Fox

Or this:

Mitchell
additional portal PG/combo G
Christie/Carrington
Garcia
Payne

Would love to see some sets with 3 G's. Depends on matchups of course. What will other teams be playing at the 3, etc...

I will be happy IF we get AT LEAST ONE MORE G and then maybe some sort of big to back up the 4 and 5. If the other 1 or 2 spots aren't HR's I can live with that. In the end we will only play 9-10 guys anyway.
I like where you are going here!

Mitchell/Transfer who can shoot
Christie/carrington/transfer SG
JoJ/Betts/transfer
Garcia/Ihnen
Payne/transfer/Fox

I really think we need a 4/5 who can back up Payne and Garcia in case Fox and Ihnen have any limitations.

His assist average would have been off the charts if he was surrounded by guys who could shoot.

Perhaps it would have but that's exactly the reason he needed to be a better scorer than he was. A poster said during one of the games that we would have been better off with a more shooting oriented point guard than a pass-centric one. I agree with that. We just didn't have guards who could shoot 3s and shorter 2s with any level of volume and they also weren't good free throw shooters (except for Carrington but he had only 39 attempts on the year).

Cooper shot a good percentage on 3s but he only took 3 attempts per game, his shooting percentage on 2s was bad, and he was a poor free throw shooter so attacking the basket wasn't even a particularly effective strategy for him. Henley also shot a good percentage on 3s but only took 1.2 attempts per game and his percentage on 2s was terrible.

Battle took seven 3 point shots per game but his average was 6th on the team.

JoJ/Betts/transfer
Garcia/Ihnen
Payne/transfer/Fox

I really think we need a 4/5 who can back up Payne and Garcia in case Fox and Ihnen have any limitations.
I still want a speedster that can bring the pace up at times and play alongside Mitchell as needed. If he is a good shooter- all the better!

JoJ/Betts/transfer
Garcia/Ihnen
Payne/transfer/Fox

I concur but something just bugs me about that 3 spot. Nothing against JOJ and/or Betts. I think they are both good BB players. I am maybe just hoping we try something new with a 3 G set. Who knows. Depends on chemistry and matchups. Hoping Ben gets it right. Good to have choices/options.

I concur but something just bugs me about that 3 spot. Nothing against JOJ and/or Betts. I think they are both good BB players. I am maybe just hoping we try something new with a 3 G set. Who knows. Depends on chemistry and matchups. Hoping Ben gets it right. Good to have choices/options.
What bugs you is that neither should be playing the 3. It'll likely need to be a combo of them, but I really hope we add a number of additional wings so that we can let those guys develop (mostly) at their natural positions.

What bugs you is that neither should be playing the 3. It'll likely need to be a combo of them, but I really hope we add a number of additional wings so that we can let those guys develop (mostly) at their natural positions.
We might be able to move Carrington to the 3 at times alongside Mitchell and Christie for a 3 guard look. Carrington rebounds the ball pretty well and can shoot it.

it wouldnt be new....Ben Johnson did this year one will Willis. Loewe, Stephens.
and i really hope we see more of that if we can bring in the right guys

Any thoughts on (not a specific name) what type of player you want for that 3 spot? I'm assuming a good shooter. How about a go to the hole slasher? It can't be a Battle. Has to be either #1 a better shooter and or #2 a better defender.

it wouldnt be new....Ben Johnson did this year one will Willis. Loewe, Stephens.
and i really hope we see more of that if we can bring in the right guys
Maybe a lineup of Mitchell, Carrington and Christie. We'll see who else Ben brings in. I'm excited now that we have our first portal guy.

His stat line is really impressive. I get it's the WCC and not the B1G, but still. Hitting 44% of his 3's on 5.4 attempts a game is really impressive. Add in a career 72% FT shooter, and at least on paper, this looks like a huge get.

View attachment 24860
Based on this site (not sure if it is good or not - https://www.teamrankings.com/ncaa-basketball/stat/possessions-per-game ) Pepperdine had the 2nd highest amount of possessions per game in the NCAA per game, yet per KenPom they were 171st in AdjO...this is not good.

Based on the small highlight video I saw, I like him. But based on the data, I feel his stats are inflated due to the high amount of possessions in the average Pepperdine game. Side-note, Pepperdine was terrible. 2-14 in the WCC, and they had a stretch of losing 11 in a row between Christmas day and February 2nd. (in their only game against St Mary's he was 0-5 with 0 points, 5 ast, and 7 TOs).

When you look at his stats versus the top 3 teams in the WCC (Gonzaga, Saint Mary's & Santa Clara) + the 3 other teams that made the NCAA tournament (Iona, UCLA, & Nevada), they start to look slightly different (again, I think he will be an improvement over what we had):

-MPG 32.37
-PTS 8.75
-REBS 4.25
-AST 4.62
-STL 1.25
-TO 2.87
-AST/TO ratio 1.6
-FG% 29.8%
-3 PT% 32.14

His highest scoring point totals on the season were against San Diego (not SDSU), Alabama State (9th in the SWAC) & San Francisco (finished 5th in the WCC).

If we want to compete in 2023-24 (and when I say compete I mean for 7th in the B10...I'm not delusional), he is a backup on a team that is 7th.

Based on this site (not sure if it is good or not - https://www.teamrankings.com/ncaa-basketball/stat/possessions-per-game ) Pepperdine had the 2nd highest amount of possessions per game in the NCAA per game, yet per KenPom they were 171st in AdjO...this is not good.

Based on the small highlight video I saw, I like him. But based on the data, I feel his stats are inflated due to the high amount of possessions in the average Pepperdine game. Side-note, Pepperdine was terrible. 2-14 in the WCC, and they had a stretch of losing 11 in a row between Christmas day and February 2nd. (in their only game against St Mary's he was 0-5 with 0 points, 5 ast, and 7 TOs).

When you look at his stats versus the top 3 teams in the WCC (Gonzaga, Saint Mary's & Santa Clara) + the 3 other teams that made the NCAA tournament (Iona, UCLA, & Nevada), they state to look slightly different (again, I think he will be an improvement over what we had):

-MPG 32.37
-PTS 8.75
-REBS 4.25
-AST 4.62
-STL 1.25
-TO 2.87
-AST/TO ratio 1.6
-FG% 29.8%
-3 PT% 32.14

His highest scoring point totals on the season were against San Diego (not SDSU), Alabama State (9th in the SWAC) & San Francisco (finished 5th in the WCC).

If we want to compete in 2023-24 (and when I say compete I mean for 7th in the B10...I'm not delusional), he is a backup on a team that is 7th.

He was only a sophomore and if you look at his shooting, the last 10 games were stronger than the overall season.

He was only a sophomore and if you look at his shooting, the last 10 games were stronger than the overall season.
Lots of bad teams in those last 10 games. I just filtered out the better teams he played against. The WCC and his non-conference schedule had lots of bad teams and he padded his stats in those games. He struggled against the better teams he played.

Again, I think he could be decent for the gophers as a bench player.

But, he will be coming from a system that is run and gun, to a system that is walk and stop. The adjustment will be massive in regards to pace...then you have the size and physicality learning curve going from the WCC to the Big10.

When you look at his stats versus the top 3 teams in the WCC (Gonzaga, Saint Mary's & Santa Clara) + the 3 other teams that made the NCAA tournament (Iona, UCLA, & Nevada), they start to look slightly different (again, I think he will be an improvement over what we had):

-MPG 32.37
-PTS 8.75
-REBS 4.25
-AST 4.62
-STL 1.25
-TO 2.87
-AST/TO ratio 1.6
-FG% 29.8%
-3 PT% 32.14

Stats are a decent indicator but they are only going to tell part of the story. Have to factor in supporting cast as well.

Looks like a solid pickup and a good start in the transfer season. Still plenty of work to do.

Stats are a decent indicator but they are only going to tell part of the story. Have to factor in supporting cast as well.

Looks like a solid pickup and a good start in the transfer season. Still plenty of work to do.
how is our supporting cast?

The focus should still be on a drive and kick PG.

Lots of bad teams in those last 10 games. I just filtered out the better teams he played against. The WCC and his non-conference schedule had lots of bad teams and he padded his stats in those games. He struggled against the better teams he played.

Again, I think he could be decent for the gophers as a bench player.

But, he will be coming from a system that is run and gun, to a system that is walk and stop. The adjustment will be massive in regards to pace...then you have the size and physicality learning curve going from the WCC to the Big10.
Too many people happy about the transfer in this thread right? Was starting to bug you wasn't it?..... :)

Where is he on the list of most desired point guard transfers? I'm taking this as good news.
I’ve seen a range. I’ve seen as high as 4 then 8 and 9. Comparisons to coop is he was 13 and 17. Of course these are fluid.

I don’t think straight rank means anything. I think tiers are better; then Tailor to fit. Just given the nature of humans and data, we anchor and bias to those numbers.

I found his shot to be very high arcing like Braden Carrington.

Also, something odd was he shot better for 3 then 2.

Maybe that means he needs more control on drives? I would be curious to hear the skeptics?

We might be able to move Carrington to the 3 at times alongside Mitchell and Christie for a 3 guard look. Carrington rebounds the ball pretty well and can shoot it.
And no matter what anyone's opinion is about the signing of Mitchell, his signing just made it much more attractive for other portal prospects to come here. We're not talking national championships here, but the longer it took to have a real point guard, the more guys would avoid this team.

This is VERY positive..

Too many people happy about the transfer in this thread right? Was starting to bug you wasn't it?..... :)
Ok stats on a terrible WCC team. I don't think there is a lot to love.

I like him as a rotation player off the bench. Do I love him as a lead ball heavy guard...no.

I’ve seen a range. I’ve seen as high as 4 then 8 and 9. Comparisons to coop is he was 13 and 17. Of course these are fluid.

I don’t think straight rank means anything. I think tiers are better; then Tailor to fit. Just given the nature of humans and data, we anchor and bias to those numbers.

I found his shot to be very high arcing like Braden Carrington.

Also, something odd was he shot better for 3 then 2.

Maybe that means he needs more control on drives? I would be curious to hear the skeptics?
I think him shooting better on 3s then 2s is a huge red flag. He can't finish at the rim. This will be a big issue in the B10. Cooper was a terrible finisher at the rim and it was a problem...this will prove to be a problem with Mitchel in the B10. Teams will see the film on him and adapt. They will force him off the 3 pt line and he will either take the dreaded long 2, or have to finish above a 6'10" wide body in the paint...as we know Payne will be down in the low block with the defender near by.

EDIT...hopefully CBJ will learn and put Payne on the block and not at the 3 pt line up top....

And no matter what anyone's opinion is about the signing of Mitchell, his signing just made it much more attractive for other portal prospects to come here. We're not talking national championships here, but the longer it took to have a real point guard, the more guys would avoid this team.

This is VERY positive..
couldn't one counter and say it makes it less attractive for other guards (who may want to be primary ball handlers) to come here. And we know our roster needs more than 1 ball handler.

Top Bottom