Minnesota OC Kirk Ciarrocca: 'We know we have to improve throwing the football'

We ran a ton more RPO in ‘19. Morgan had a career year then and the receiver tandem was arguably the best in history here. Morgan has regressed and it’s possible the receiver position is potentially our biggest weakness in ‘22; probably was in ‘21. BSF should catch 40-50 balls this year and the RBs should combine for 30 catches need to spread the ball around more and be less predictable. Wildcard is Morgan and whether he can play much better than he has the past two years.
We ran a little bit more. I don’t know what “a ton more” means.

Morgan has seemed confused with whatever the heck we were doing the last two years. Never looked comfortable and decisive like he did most of 2019 and late 2018

Even when he threw some bad interceptions in early 2019, he was throwing the ball on time
Does Mike Sanford Jr, QB ruiner extraordinaire have a hand in TM’s unraveling?

Does Mike Sanford Jr, QB ruiner extraordinaire have a hand in TM’s unraveling?
I think so. Morgan never was on time, never looked confident in 20 or 21

Whatever sanford was trying to do Morgan wasn’t executing. Which IMO more falls on the coach than the QB when it is a guy who has shown he is capable of doing some positive things at that level. If Morgan had no history of success it would be a harder judgement to make

On the "tipped passes at the line of scrimmage" deal -

I think one reason why guys like Russell Wilson seem to avoid tipped passes is that they utilize more roll-outs, or at least use their feet to move side-to-side in the pocket.

Morgan tends to use more of a straight drop-back. Whether that's a 'scheme' thing, I don't know.
but it does make it easier for the rushers to know where he is, giving them a better chance of tipping a ball.
Russell, like Mahomes, can go down sidearm when needed. But yes, a mobile QB on the move is not going to have a lot of hands up in the passing lane.

We ran a ton more RPO in ‘19. Morgan had a career year then and the receiver tandem was arguably the best in history here. Morgan has regressed and it’s possible the receiver position is potentially our biggest weakness in ‘22; probably was in ‘21. BSF should catch 40-50 balls this year and the RBs should combine for 30 catches need to spread the ball around more and be less predictable. Wildcard is Morgan and whether he can play much better than he has the past two years.
WR is our biggest weakness? CRAB is a very good WR who dealt with injuries all last year. Wright has flashed big time playmaker ability, MBS and Jackson are both solid.

There is plenty of talent in the WR room and hopefully now we have an OC that can figure out how to put them in position to be successful.

What’s a cubit

used in the bible.
  1. an ancient measure of length, approximately equal to the length of a forearm. It was typically about 18 inches or 44 cm, though there was a long cubit of about 21 inches or 52 cm.

used in the bible.
  1. an ancient measure of length, approximately equal to the length of a forearm. It was typically about 18 inches or 44 cm, though there was a long cubit of about 21 inches or 52 cm.
Have you seen the bill Cosby “Noah” bit?

Can you mention Bill Cosby still

Note to KC: Priority No. 1 is beating Iowa. Let's get the Gophers' Offense to neutralize Iowa's Defense.

Let's get Pink Floyd of Rosedale back!

Note to KC: Priority No. 1 is beating Iowa. Let's get the Gophers' Offense to neutralize Iowa's Defense.

Let's get Pink Floyd of Rosedale back!
Iowa's defense is going to be tough next year. Probably top 3 in Big 10.

PJ Fleck is on the right track shoring up the defense the last couple of seasons.

This is just as critical as the offensive line.

I really wish we were moving forward with a new QB. Tanner's cement feet + a new line is a scary situation. I also think if you want to continue to recruit good talent at WR (and there's a million reasons why PJ and Matt Simon want to make the U a destination for wideouts) then you need to start opening it up and pushing teams over the top. Tanner can indeed throw a nice ball when he steps into it.

I also want us to give guys like CRAB and Wright more jump balls. Kirk basically forced teams to try to stop TJ and Bateman.

Do you really think they are going to start throwing the ball with their bread and butter returning at running backs? You will appreciate the senior line from last year that was larger then the Vikings, when you see 4 new starters. You know what you have in Morgan, and he will be sacrificed to the Big 10 defensive lineman next year.

Last edited:

PJ always says he wants to throw, but that we are a run first team. I think he has said in the past his ideal run/throw split is 60/40, don't know how close we were to that in the past two years.

Anyone know where to look that up?

Do you really think they are going to start throwing the ball with their bread and butter returning at running backs? You will appreciate the senior line from last year that was larger then the Vikings, when you see 4 new starters. You know what you have in Morgan, and he will be sacrificed to the Big 10 defensive lineman next year.
I'm not sure why people are so worried about the OL. I mean, I don't expect them to be as dominant as last year, but the sky isn't exactly falling either. Will the unit really be that much worse than in 2019 when two true sophs were playing a ton in Faalele and Dunlap; JMS wasn't getting significant reps until after the PU game when he started rotating in; and Schlueter started at LT after being almost universally panned to that point in his career?

JMS, Filiaga, Carroll, Ruschmeyer, and Boe have played a TON of football. Ersery looked like a special player in his one big moment and has consistently drawn rave reviews during his time here.

PJ always says he wants to throw, but that we are a run first team. I think he has said in the past his ideal run/throw split is 60/40, don't know how close we were to that in the past two years.

Anyone know where to look that up?

2019: Run 63.5% -- Pass 36.5%

2020: Run 73.6% -- Pass 26.4%

2021: run 69.8% -- Pass 30.2%

What about 2017 and 2018, just for comparison across all years Fleck has been here.

What am I, the Stats Genie? You have used 2 of your three wishes........

2017: Run 69.3% -- Pass 30.7%

2018: Run 60.2% -- Pass 39.8%

So 2018 had the lowest run % at just over 60%. 2020 has the highest run % at over 73%.

What am I, the Stats Genie? You have used 2 of your three wishes........

2017: Run 69.3% -- Pass 30.7%

2018: Run 60.2% -- Pass 39.8%

So 2018 had the lowest run % at just over 60%. 2020 has the highest run % at over 73%.
I thought Tommy Lasorda was a genie on the show This Week in Baseball when I was a kid, but couldn't find a picture, so maybe I completely spaced it. But I did find "The Great Karnak"

1650486651181.png

Top Bottom