Minnesota OC Kirk Ciarrocca: 'We know we have to improve throwing the football'

I wonder if we'll still more true RPO with Kirk back calling the plays. I feel like we didn't do as much of it the past two seasons.
I hope Kirk sticks around and we see how things change / if they do.

Kirk is big on "Players make plays, I call the plays I think they can make" (that's not an exact quote but close).

I wonder if we'll still more true RPO with Kirk back calling the plays. I feel like we didn't do as much of it the past two seasons.

Or maybe we were running it a lot and Morgan was just making a lot of bad decisions.
We didn’t run it as much in 2019 as people think we did.
Announcers don’t know the difference between play action and RPO

KC would go to coaching clinics and say they don’t run it that much.
They do run a lot of check with me, which is different than post snap RPO

We didn’t run it as much in 2019 as people think we did.
Announcers don’t know the difference between play action and RPO

KC would go to coaching clinics and say they don’t run it that much.
Very possible. I felt like Morgan really held the ball in the belly of the RB a lot longer in 2019 than the past two years but maybe I'm wrong.

Very possible. I felt like Morgan really held the ball in the belly of the RB a lot longer in 2019 than the past two years but maybe I'm wrong.
Morgan has seemed confused with whatever the heck we were doing the last two years. Never looked comfortable and decisive like he did most of 2019 and late 2018

Even when he threw some bad interceptions in early 2019, he was throwing the ball on time

Last edited:

Is that accurate -- I think it's on the quarterback to control that. I don't think Russell Wilson is someone who gets a ton batted down (could be wrong)

edit:
Im guessing if Morgan didn’t change anything other than being four inches taller he’d have less passes tipped at the line. There is a reason most QBs are taller. I’m not saying it’s all due to height, but there is zero advantage in being shorter.

Morgan has seemed confused with whatever the heck we were doing the last two years. Never looked comfortable and decisive like he did most of 2019 and late 2018

Even when he threw some bad interceptions in early 2019, he was throwing the ball on time
He certainly seemed more reluctant to throw it down the sidelines against single coverage at times. Which was frustrating as so often you can at least draw an interference call at the college level.

He certainly seemed more reluctant to throw it down the sidelines against single coverage at times. Which was frustrating as so often you can at least draw an interference call at the college level.
Yeah he held the ball too long. Everything was late. To me that’s a sign of lack of confidence or confusion or likely both

The Gophers are playing against good competition and coaches. Don't you think Big 10 teams and coaches have figured Morgan out after playing against him 4 years?

In the end, the head coach of the team still has the final say.

Please note - this is NOT a shot at Fleck. I am just stating the obvious:

Fleck is the head coach. Fleck likes ball-control football with a strong run game. That is not going to change. The Gophers are not going to come out and throw the ball 50 times a game. Doesn't matter who the OC is.

Now - the OC can have an impact on game-planning, schemes and techniques.

I think/hope that, when the Gophers throw the ball this season, they will be more effective and more efficient. I think/hope that we will see a better version of Tanner Morgan.

But, the head coach still calls the shots. If there is a difference, it will be a minor difference - not a major difference in offensive philosophy.
This is true. But we did throw more a few years ago. I'm ready to bring back the slant and slug go

The Gophers are playing against good competition and coaches. Don't you think Big 10 teams and coaches have figured Morgan out after playing against him 4 years?
I mean they figured him out in 2019 but couldn’t stop him. So there is a lot more to it than predictability

What is your point? That doesn’t support the argument you made in the post I responded to. Though that does have a lot to do with it
No argument, someone said he did better in the past, my point is that it did not hurt him having an NFL receiver to work with, it is like a HS QB having a college WR to work with verses some kid that never plays college football.

No argument, someone said he did better in the past, my point is that it did not hurt him having an NFL receiver to work with, it is like a HS QB having a college WR to work with verses some kid that never plays college football.
That wasn’t your point. You literally said don’t you think big ten coaches have figured him out by now. Which is a completely different point

That wasn’t your point. You literally said don’t you think big ten coaches have figured him out by now. Which is a completely different point
I did not read what I said, I meant that they have figured out the offenses strengths and weaknesses.

It’s semantics and might explain the disparity in how often people think we ran RPO, but I think many fans would still consider a pre-snap “check with me” that determines hand off vs quick slant an RPO.

It’s semantics and might explain the disparity in how often people think we ran RPO, but I think many fans would still consider a pre-snap “check with me” that determines hand off vs quick slant an RPO.
Well many fans would be wrong If they thought that

Spoken like a smug asshole.
Knowing the difference between an RPO and a called run/called pass does not make one smug or an asshole

Knowing the difference does prevent someone from calling something an RPO that isn’t an RPO which is probably the most commonly misidentified thing in college football right now by both announcers and fans

Sorry you were offended. It seems like you know the difference so good job.

Check with me could also be more about the coordinator signalling what he's seeing in the pre-snap defensive alignment and what he thinks they're going to run (coverage, blitz, etc.)

Knowing the difference does prevent someone from calling something an RPO that isn’t an RPO which is probably the most commonly misidentified thing in college football right now by both announcers and fans
Right.

I think some folks think any kind of shotgun with "fake hand off action" means RPO.

Knowing the difference between an RPO and a called run/called pass does not make one smug or an asshole
True story. Your constant concern with telling people how wrong they are (and with no additional context in most cases) earns you the label. And in most cases, you fully understand where their confusion lies.

True story. Your constant concern with telling people how wrong they are (and with no additional context in most cases) earns you the label. And in most cases, you fully understand where their confusion lies.
If You have a problem with me telling people they are wrong when they are wrong you can feel free to mute me.

Just because someone wants something to be RPO doesn’t make it RPO. I think it’s good for the fan base when people point out football things that some fans wrongly think.

On the "tipped passes at the line of scrimmage" deal -

I think one reason why guys like Russell Wilson seem to avoid tipped passes is that they utilize more roll-outs, or at least use their feet to move side-to-side in the pocket.

Morgan tends to use more of a straight drop-back. Whether that's a 'scheme' thing, I don't know.
but it does make it easier for the rushers to know where he is, giving them a better chance of tipping a ball.

On the "tipped passes at the line of scrimmage" deal -

I think one reason why guys like Russell Wilson seem to avoid tipped passes is that they utilize more roll-outs, or at least use their feet to move side-to-side in the pocket.

Morgan tends to use more of a straight drop-back. Whether that's a 'scheme' thing, I don't know.
but it does make it easier for the rushers to know where he is, giving them a better chance of tipping a ball.
I think it’s also a factor of holding the ball too long so they are closer to him

If You have a problem with me telling people they are wrong when they are wrong you can feel free to mute me.

Just because someone wants something to be RPO doesn’t make it RPO. I think it’s good for the fan base when people point out football things that some fans wrongly think.
We ran a ton more RPO in ‘19. Morgan had a career year then and the receiver tandem was arguably the best in history here. Morgan has regressed and it’s possible the receiver position is potentially our biggest weakness in ‘22; probably was in ‘21. BSF should catch 40-50 balls this year and the RBs should combine for 30 catches need to spread the ball around more and be less predictable. Wildcard is Morgan and whether he can play much better than he has the past two years.

Top Bottom