Minnesota @ Northwestern 2021 - Media Predictions

Odd Shark has Minnesota winning 31-21
Minnesota will win, cover the spread, and the total will go over.
52 is a lot of points for this one.

On the thick sod with an unproven Northwestern offense and Minnesota's tendency toward ball control and running out clock with any lead over 10 points I like the Under 43.5 in this game.

I was a bit surprised with the score prediction, too. I could see maybe 27-10 or 31-13 being more likely. Maybe Wildcats are expected to do a bit better at home?

I know the series has been really back and forth so maybe that's why some may predict a closer game this week. Results since 2000:
  • 2000 - Northwestern won 41-35
  • 2001 - Northwestern won 23-17
  • 2002 - Minnesota won 45-42
  • 2003 - Minnesota won 42-17
  • 2004 - Minnesota won 43-17
  • 2007 - Northwestern won 49-48
  • 2008 - Northwestern won 24-17
  • 2009 - Minnesota won 35-24
  • 2010 - Northwestern won 29-28
  • 2011 - Northwestern won 28-13
  • 2012 - Northwestern won 21-13
  • 2013 - Minnesota won 20-17
  • 2014 - Minnesota won 24-17
  • 2015 - Northwestern won 27-0
  • 2016 - Minnesota won 29-12
  • 2017 - Northwestern won 39-0
  • 2018 - Northwestern won 24-14
  • 2019 - Minnesota won 38-22
Out of 18 games, 11 have been within 10 points and 8 of them have been within a touchdown.

The Sports Bank has Minnesota winning 27-17
These two sides are not far apart in terms of talent, and roster strength, but this is just a really poor matchup for the hosts. Run defense is NU’s bugaboo and rushing offense is MN’s calling card; which makes this one rather straight forward in the sizing up.

The Sports Bank has Minnesota winning 27-17
These two sides are not far apart in terms of talent, and roster strength, but this is just a really poor matchup for the hosts. Run defense is NU’s bugaboo and rushing offense is MN’s calling card; which makes this one rather straight forward in the sizing up.
This year, Minnesota has much more talent then NU. The only thing that will beat Minnesota on Saturday, is Minnesota.

College Football News has Minnesota winning 27-16
How much do you believe in trends?

Northwestern has been able to adapt and adjust, going L-W-L-W all the way through its slate so far – and it’s coming off the loss to Michigan. However, there’s a reason for that.

Indiana State, Ohio, Rutgers.

Northwestern was able to step up and win three of the winnable games, and Minnesota isn’t making things easy on anyone right now.

Third down conversions aren’t going to be Northwestern’s friend, especially against a Minnesota ground game that will get past 200 yards.

Bleacher Report has Minnesota winning 24-14.

Writers at Wolverines Wire are predicting a Minnesota victory
Trent Knoop, Minnesota 31-14: After the embarrassing loss to Bowling Green four weeks ago, the Gophers are on an offensive tear. It doesn’t seem to matter who plays running back for Minnesota, they do well. Freshman Ky Thomas was the latest to do so last week, and there is no reason to think he couldn’t do it again this week against a really bad run defense that Northwestern has. The Wildcats will be pressed to score this week, and I don’t think they will be able to stop the Gophers from going back to Minnesota with a win.

Isaiah Hole, Minnesota 31-17: After losing to Bowling Green, Minnesota certainly has found its footing — despite the cavalcade of running back injuries. The defense is sound and the offense does just enough to escape with the win. Northwestern is improving, but it won’t be enough given what the Gophers have been able to do of late.

Trent Knoop, Minnesota 31-14: After the embarrassing loss to Bowling Green four weeks ago, the Gophers are on an offensive tear. It doesn’t seem to matter who plays running back for Minnesota, they do well. Freshman Ky Thomas was the latest to do so last week, and there is no reason to think he couldn’t do it again this week against a really bad run defense that Northwestern has. The Wildcats will be pressed to score this week, and I don’t think they will be able to stop the Gophers from going back to Minnesota with a win.

Isaiah Hole, Minnesota 31-17: After losing to Bowling Green, Minnesota certainly has found its footing — despite the cavalcade of running back injuries. The defense is sound and the offense does just enough to escape with the win. Northwestern is improving, but it won’t be enough given what the Gophers have been able to do of late.
I agree with these guys.

2 more for the Bowling Green reference tally. However you can already see a different tone being taken in regards to that game.

References to the Bowling Green Massacre will dog the Gophers all year. The loss was so shocking, so inexplicable and so avoidable—and so seemingly indicative of a mental weak spot somewhere in the Gopher coaching ecology—that it simply cannot yet be forgotten by independent observers. The way to put Bowling Green further in the rear view mirror is to keep piling up respectable wins against B1G foes.

Up to 16 now by my count.

booza-holiday.gif

If you mean winning the west every other year going back to a couple years ago, then probably.

They're either the king of the west or the jester... up down up down

I feel like this is a season where every Gopher game one can predict a 31-17 Gopher win.

We'll score about 30-31.
We'll allow about 17.

It’s possible we repeat the 2015 NW game when Jerry Kill finally pulled the starting qb and put in a back up. I am convinced that game broke him.

I was a bit surprised with the score prediction, too. I could see maybe 27-10 or 31-13 being more likely. Maybe Wildcats are expected to do a bit better at home?

I know the series has been really back and forth so maybe that's why some may predict a closer game this week. Results since 2000:
  • 2000 - Northwestern won 41-35
  • 2001 - Northwestern won 23-17
  • 2002 - Minnesota won 45-42
  • 2003 - Minnesota won 42-17
  • 2004 - Minnesota won 43-17
  • 2007 - Northwestern won 49-48
  • 2008 - Northwestern won 24-17
  • 2009 - Minnesota won 35-24
  • 2010 - Northwestern won 29-28
  • 2011 - Northwestern won 28-13
  • 2012 - Northwestern won 21-13
  • 2013 - Minnesota won 20-17
  • 2014 - Minnesota won 24-17
  • 2015 - Northwestern won 27-0
  • 2016 - Minnesota won 29-12
  • 2017 - Northwestern won 39-0
  • 2018 - Northwestern won 24-14
  • 2019 - Minnesota won 38-22
Out of 18 games, 11 have been within 10 points and 8 of them have been within a touchdown.

I must be overlooking something, but every time I see one of these "history of the two teams" things I scratch my head. With the exception of the most recent games, there really is no current relevance that I can see.

References to the Bowling Green Massacre will dog the Gophers all year. The loss was so shocking, so inexplicable and so avoidable—and so seemingly indicative of a mental weak spot somewhere in the Gopher coaching ecology—that it simply cannot yet be forgotten by independent observers.

The further we get from the BGSU game, the more comfortable I am with the memory (that's usually the case with bad incidents I guess). In some ways, I think it has a positive effect of giving the team just enough insecurity so that they take nothing for granted and don't let up.

I remember after the eventual 1990 national basketball champs UNLV won a two-point squeaker over Ball State in the NCAA tournament round of 16, some of their players wore Ball State caps for the rest of the tournament as both a tribute and a reminder. UNLV mostly rolled over the rest of their opponents in that year's tournament. Of course, UNLV's MAC opponent was very good that year while ours this season was not but I still think the memory can have a positive lasting effect.

I must be overlooking something, but every time I see one of these "history of the two teams" things I scratch my head. With the exception of the most recent games, there really is no current relevance that I can see.
I always find it funny when they try to act like past matchups from decades ago have some bearing on the current matchup. That said, I think in this case it is more an acknowledgement that the teams don't typically seem to be that far apart talent wise which leads to a lot of close games.

Top Bottom