Minnesota Kids

Add another kid gophers said walk on, but he said nope, NDSU to beat you in 2011, thats 4!! 5 counting Marcus Wiliams of hopkins for next year.

* Carlton Littlejohn's coach Tony Patterson at Mpls. North says in an email -- "The Gophers showed interest in him early then they backed off later in the recruiting process. They talked about him walking on but he wasn't interested in that. He's been clocked in the 40 at high 4.5 and low 4.6 range."

"we don't want either, they are not good. If you are not satisfied with mediocrity why would you want Minnesota kids? "

Tell me bankonit, what is it you have against Minnesota kids?

SouthMetro

We all like MN kids. I hope that every MN kid that is at lower tier schools succeeds wildly beyond expectations and they all get in the NFL, but it has been a long time since we won around here, and even longer since we won with MN kids. Warmath said all the time, and still says to this day that he wasn't a great coach but got great athletes to come to MN. Bobby Bell wasn't from New Ulm.

Neither was Carl Eller. However, Dick Enga and Julian hook were.

The talent level in Minnesota (and Wisconsin) is great for d3 and d2 schools. If you want to be successful in the Big10 you will need to recruit out of state. If Brewster didn't think they were up to par to be offered a scholarship I will take his evaluation of talent over anyone on this board.

I have finally figured out the Gopherhole site.If you are a anti-Brewster Gopher fan you are not welcome. GO GOPHERS 14-24.

I have finally figured out the Gopherhole site.If you are a anti-Brewster Gopher fan you are not welcome. GO GOPHERS 14-24.

If you are a fan you should not be anti coach. It does nothing to help the program to say the coach is terrible or needs to be fired and publicly criticize the coach. You can have reservations of whether the coach is the right guy or not but you should hope he succeeds and not hope for his demise like some on here do. After a coach is gone criticize away. The media is bad enough but when "fans" of the program spew negativity I question their "fandom" to quote another poster.

It's not about liking the coach it's about having intelligent perspective. Most haters are just louder. Rarely do they make good points. Usually over the top comments that leave no room for discussion.

Brewster does expect that and that is the goal. Being Iowa or Wisconsin is shooting very low. After 2011 we will be in position to be competing for Conference titles and January bowl games

You are so right. It would be terrible for Minnesota to finish #7 in the final BCS standings like Iowa or #16 like Wisconsin. God forbid.

For the record, USC finished #22 and Oklahoma didn't crack the top 25. An anomaly yes, but the point is that it would be unconscionable for MN to shoot so low as #7 or 16 in the country. :pig:

There is always points inbetween. Clearly wiscy and Iowa are between us and the top.

I would much rather shot for the Penn States, Ohio States and Michigans

your argument would make sense if getting to the Iowa level was a detour. It's not, it's on the journey. It certainly is a good bench mark to say we are on the right path. For that reason I look forward to passing through.

Somewhat agree but Iowa and Wisconsin are a detour because they will never be consistently at the top of the conference. They will remain also rans, we can not model ourselves like them. They are on the journey line but far from what we want to be.

So you're saying if our program improves to the level of winsconsins or Iowas it will take longer to get to the level of OSU because of that?

Somewhat agree but Iowa and Wisconsin are a detour because they will never be consistently at the top of the conference. They will remain also rans, we can not model ourselves like them. They are on the journey line but far from what we want to be.

Provided we go to the Rose Bowl sometime in my life, I couldn't care less whose system we model ourselves after.

This might sound pathetic, but a CapitalOne or Outback Bowl would have me absolutely giddy.

Who can blame anyone for taking a division one scholarship over walking on anywhere? Unless it's a kids lifelong dream to play for school "x", I think the vast majority of kids would take the scholarship over the walk-on offer. It's not a slight to the school that offered the walk-on, nor does it mean the school that offered the scholarship won some big coup.

I think people are making way too big of a deal out of this stuff.

So you're saying if our program improves to the level of winsconsins or Iowas it will take longer to get to the level of OSU because of that?

If we become Wisconsin or Iowa we will never compete with OSU or Penn State on a regular basis, their programs have flat lined where they are, 2nd tier big ten teams. Are you talking about win lose records or success over time? If you are talking about wins and losses then yes we can be at Iowas or Wisconsins level. If you are talking about their programs "prestige" then no we will never be great if we become like them. Nationally no one cares about them or are scared of them.

umm, who says you have to stop when you get to their level? Is it a one or the other choice? Can't we get to that level, revel in the achievment AND keep on improving beyond that?

The point is, Brewster can only recruit beyond our level of play so far. We're a mid tier 60is team recruiting at a top thirty team level, pretty good. But not good enough to consistently beat the big boys. When we are a top thirty team he'll recruit as a top twenty, then you'll see a higher level of play. He will have to achieve on field performance similar to Wisconsin or Iowa to recruit at the level of OSU, Michigan, or PSU. Based on our recruiting level, we're not going to leap to the top without some great luck. But I have extreme faith that if we get to that next level Brewster will not plateau like Wisconsin, he will recruit to the next level and in time we'll be at the top.

Now if he could just hold on to his coordinators.

I agree with Brewster we will be better than Iowa or Wisconsin because of recruiting.

If we become Wisconsin or Iowa we will never compete with OSU or Penn State on a regular basis, their programs have flat lined where they are, 2nd tier big ten teams.

WTF are you talking about? You're clueless. Iowa has finished in the TOP TEN in the nation four times in the last eight years, including this year (#7 nationally; ahead of PSU again). Twice they've flirted with playing in the BCS National Title game this decade. Call me crazy, but I'd take that for the Gophers right now. No need to wait until 2011. We aren't even CLOSE to that yet.

And, I might add, the "heartbeat" of all of those really good Iowa teams are kids who are from Iowa. They form the passionate nucleas that allows everyone on the team to outperform their skill level. They play for a higher purpose. That's part of the equation that many people forget. Some kid from Dallas who is in it for himself may not play as well as a less talented kid who really is playing out his dream of playing for his homestate team in front of his hometown fans. If Iowa can find enough kids from Iowa to form a passionate team then certainly Minnesota can scrape together some kids from Minnesota who can understand the higher calling of playing for the Gophers. Many of Iowa's homegrown kids don't even play much, but they understand what it means and that translates to other players. Right now, I see a handful too many "me" kind of players on our roster. We need more "we" kind of players (Minnesota kids can help with that).

Big Ten records since 2002:

1. 54-10 Ohio State (6 Big Ten titles, 7 BCS bowl games)
2. 42-22 Iowa (2 Big Ten titles, 2 BCS bowl games)
3. 41-23 Michigan (2 Big Ten titles, 3 BCS bowl games)
4. 37-27 Wisconsin (0 Big Ten titles, 0 BCS bowl games)
5. 36-28 Penn State (2 Big Ten titles, 2 BCS bowl games)
6. 31-33 Purdue
7. 30-34 Northwestern
8. 27-37 Michigan State
9. 24-40 Minnesota
10. 17-47 Illinois
11. 12-52 Indiana

WTF are you talking about? You're clueless. Iowa has finished in the TOP TEN in the nation four times this decade, including this year (#7 nationally; ahead of PSU again). Twice they've flirted with playing in the BCS National Title game this decade. Call me crazy, but I'd take that for the Gophers right now. No need to wait until 2011. We aren't even CLOSE to that yet.

Yep, what he said.

at this point in our program I would rather lose a game and get a big time recruit than win a game and lose a 4 star recruit to someone else. Because the wins will come down the road, we need to build up to them.

This attitude is going to get Ron Zook fired for the 2nd time and it may eventually get Brewster fired here. One thing both guys need to realize is that the only victories that really count are the ones waged on the field. The recruiting victories are fine, but if you can't translate them into real wins, then you will be out of work.

I'm sorry, but I'm 5 pages in and still can't wrap my head around some nonsense from page 1.

bankonit, can you please explain how we shouldn't settle for MN kids unless we want mediocrity yet you "+1'd" Schnood's comment that MN is a walk-on gold mine? B/c taking kids as walk on's means WE WANT THEM IN THE PROGRAM. Just not on scholly. Your two stances seem to be in opposition to each other. Unless you believe that we want kids to walk on who are worthless and we are then searching for mediocrity. Or something... That comment earned you a dunce cap. Your subsequent work didn't improve things. I don't expect a clear explanation on that one but had to ask anyway.

add John Crockett from Totino Grace to NDSU's list.

Totino-Grace senior John Crockett was tough to tackle and hard to catch. He was the best offensive player in the North Suburban Conference. Crockett, at 6-foot-1, 180 pounds is a tough runner with exceptional speed. He has 1494 yards on 149 carries this fall. John has 28-rushing touchdowns this fall and over 2100 all purpose yards.

I'm sorry, but I'm 5 pages in and still can't wrap my head around some nonsense from page 1.

bankonit, can you please explain how we shouldn't settle for MN kids unless we want mediocrity yet you "+1'd" Schnood's comment that MN is a walk-on gold mine? B/c taking kids as walk on's means WE WANT THEM IN THE PROGRAM. Just not on scholly. Your two stances seem to be in opposition to each other. Unless you believe that we want kids to walk on who are worthless and we are then searching for mediocrity. Or something... That comment earned you a dunce cap. Your subsequent work didn't improve things. I don't expect a clear explanation on that one but had to ask anyway.

Minnesota is a "walk on goldmine" meaning 99% of Minnesota kids are not talented enough to be Division 1 athletes. So recruit the 1% and let some other Minnesota kids be on the team to feel good but don't expect much from them. Walk ons are little more than tackling dummies like "Rudy"

Minnesota is a "walk on goldmine" meaning 99% of Minnesota kids are not talented enough to be Division 1 athletes. So recruit the 1% and let some other Minnesota kids be on the team to feel good but don't expect much from them. Walk ons are little more than tackling dummies like "Rudy"

bankonit is right. Minnesota gives a chance for a walk-on to succeed. The UM has a track record of that. It also has a track record of a program that struggles to reach mediocrity. Seems as if there is a direct correlation there.

i posted about John Crockett RB Totino.

Can anyone tell me some info on this kid? looks like mich, mich st were all over him until grades came out. thanks!
his hilight video was S I C K!

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/288051/group/Sports/

Billy Turner 66 300 Mounds View to be starting for NDSU

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/287477/

Grant Olson 6 0 217 Wayzata to backup LB's and special teams for NDSU.

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/287640/

Marcus Williams Hopkins 5 11 186 Corner, freshman playing nickel for NDSU.

Brewster didnt offer these or Mr Football WR Zach Vraa Rosemount., just posting the articles.

John Crockett RB totino who got visits to Michigan, Michigan St, Wisconsin is on NDSU's team and was held back as redshirt by NCAA clearinghouse.

NDSU Verbal Commits:

Alex Meier, 6-2, 200, Anoka, MN, S
Joey Sonnenfeld, 6-4, 200, Osseo, MN, ATH

any info on these 2 kids?? ^^

NDSU offers:
Reggie Gandy, 5-8, 180, Minneapolis MN, RB
Wyatt Peiffer, 6-4, 230, Chaska, MN, DE
Frank Veldman, 6-4, 190, Apple Valley (Eastview), WR
Jamal Samaha, 6’4 255, Zimmerman, MN, DL

if anyone has info, please elaborate, cool.

Top Bottom