Minnesota Head Basketball Coach Want List

By that logic no coach should be fired ever because you never know if a move will be "lateral" or "better". (or worse for that matter)

If you are afraid to make a mistake, you arent the one who should be making the decisions.

If you have a coach that no one else would want in your conference, then why keep him? What has Pitino done to earn another year? Wont we have the same dilemma next year if the team goes nowhere?

We have seen his peak...the next coach might suck but by the same thinking he might not. At this point it is way more logical to take a shot at something better than to stick with the "under-recruit and pray for no injuries and issues" philosophy Pitino has. That may work at a small school but not the Big Ten.

It gives you the vibe that he has probably been in some long horrible relationships because "meh, the next one could be worse".

Bobby Jackson? Assistant Coach for the Sacramento Kings. Would this resonate with Minnesota Basketball?
They wouldn't let Tubby hire Jimmy Williams 23 years after the Dutcher issues. There's no way Bobby Jackson will be allowed on anyone's staff. Coyle's been good so far, but he can't pull that off.

Last edited:

I for one was thrilled. It turned out terribly for us. We became the school even Tubby Smith couldn't win at. We are a coach killer job until someone nails it here. Whoever we get, I want someone who is a lot luckier than the last three. :) Monson might have gotten over the hump if not for the Illinois game and Rickert leaving too soon. Tubby might have gotten it done if Royce....and Pitino might have if not for Lynch, Curry, Coffey gone early, no Carr last year. None of them caught a break to get momentum.
Last night wasn't bad enough, you had to bring up the Illinois game? That was certainly Monson's turning point. Tubby's was when Royce went "shopping" at MOA.

Since we are throwing out names:
Craig Smith - Utah St
John Becker - Vermont
Steve Forbes - E Tennessee St
Gregg Marshall - Wichita St
Chris Jans - New Mexico St
Gregg Marshall intrigues and concerns me. He could have had his pick of jobs 5 years ago. But now they've faded and their conference is blah. We could probably get him. But he makes big $$ there and is a bit of a jerk it seems.

UVA interviewed Tubby but never offered. They did have a ton of fans who wanted him but Littlepage talked to the right people and Bennett blew them away.
I heard they basically had a deal and it got hung up over lowering the academic requirements and then fell apart. If I was Littlepage I'd tell that story too though.

"...the promise that things can get better"LOL

Don't fool yourself. They new guy could have us in the Final Four in 3 years or could set the basketball program back 20 years.

All that being said... The time is now. Now is the time.
Back 20 years? How much further back can we go really?

As long as Mike Rhoades is part of the consideration process. VCU Insider, Pav, arranging fisticuffs at Buster's in downtown Richmond??? Sign me up.
I say we bring Rhoades and Shaka to the Vu and let them duke it out for the job with VCU Insider as ref.

Take a look at the football program young truth seeker. There... you will have your answer.
Even Brew didn't set it back 20 years. And what are the odds we make another hire that bad with this AD? The MN football job is much tougher than the basketball job. A competent D-1 coach can win here.

Deciding to fire a coach is a decision that is independent of hiring his replacement.

For example, it was the right decision to fire Brewster, even if the person we hired went 2-10 for 5 straight seasons.
No, afraid I will need to disagree there. You fire a coach for "cause" immediately and without concern for replacement. For all other circumstances you consider the cost and choose the wisest course of action or you end up in a worse position than you started.

In business, "cause" would be direct insubordination like an employee telling you to XXXX off in the board room or him harassing a female employee. In those cases you just call security.

Still... The time is now

Even Brew didn't set it back 20 years. And what are the odds we make another hire that bad with this AD? The MN football job is much tougher than the basketball job. A competent D-1 coach can win here.

I Agree, the time is now.

Its not a cop out but the only opinion that will matter is what Mark Coyle thinks this year. If he stays with Pitino - I made my case. I will look forward to next year and support the team for the entire year.

"...the promise that things can get better"LOL

Don't fool yourself. They new guy could have us in the Final Four in 3 years or could set the basketball program back 20 years.

All that being said... The time is now. Now is the time.

Flat out you can't set it back any farther than it is right now. What is the difference if you finish 12th or 14th in the conference? Also, don't look now, but this team is likely finishing the year under .500 overall. Meet the bottom of the barrel.

Kill and Fleck both had Fantastic program turn arounds in the 2 schools prior to coming here.

all I'm saying is don't reach... Fleck and Kill were not reaches.

No they weren't and both did pretty well here. Kill had the program moving the right direction, heck they played in a Jan 1 game under him as well.

This is the type of hire I would like. Someone who's had success already somewhere and interviews like a guy you have some confidence he can get it done. I'd prefer someone younger than a Jerry Kill though, or at least healthier.

Flat out you can't set it back any farther than it is right now. What is the difference if you finish 12th or 14th in the conference? Also, don't look now, but this team is likely finishing the year under .500 overall. Meet the bottom of the barrel.
You really so unimaginative as to not know how you can go back further than now?

How about a combo Norwood Teague type personality with a Clem Haskins style scandel. Dramatic mid season firing with 2 years of sanctions. Sound fun yet?

I believe that Pitino was not the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th or even 5th choice. All were rejected and Pitino seemed like an easy choice for someone running out of options. If Coyle cannot do better then roll the dice on next year. I like Pitino and would support him next year if it came to it.

Still... it is time.

No they weren't and both did pretty well here. Kill had the program moving the right direction, heck they played in a Jan 1 game under him as well.

This is the type of hire I would like. Someone who's had success already somewhere and interviews like a guy you have some confidence he can get it done. I'd prefer someone younger than a Jerry Kill though, or at least healthier.
They most certainly did.. look it up

There are multiple fans of Jacobson on here. What is the sales pitch for him? And what makes you think he would leave UNI now, after 14 seasons?

This year they look great (though no Wichita or Creighton anymore), and they were awesome in 2009-10. Otherwise, has ranged all over the spectrum.

I heard they basically had a deal and it got hung up over lowering the academic requirements and then fell apart. If I was Littlepage I'd tell that story too though.
Craig does need to tell a story. Professionally we were close on this one. They had Bennett first from day one, tons of bidders. He changed his mind and was going to stay at WSU until his wife talked him out of it, she is from the south. UVA did it the right way and talked to the right basketball people and that feedback was a consensus. He had those recommendations and a resume of playing, coaching internationally, coaching in the big 10,coaching in the Pac, recruiting everywhere, building bridges with people and that academic piece of his own to match those grueling Academics at UVA. Before Coyle we ran a clown fiesta in the way we hired coaches. We actually hired Norwood Teague who rode coat tails he had nothing to do with.

Niko Medved or Ben Jacobson. Both are younger, have been successful head coaches, have assistant coaches with Minnesota ties, have connections to Minnesota themselves and have recruited well here.

Niko Medved or Ben Jacobson. Both are younger, have been successful head coaches, have assistant coaches with Minnesota ties, have connections to Minnesota themselves and have recruited well here.
Great points but what about recruiting all over and internationally.

Yeah, I think it happens.

I don't think Maturi knew he was hiring Kill when he fired Brewster.
LSU certainly didn't know they were hiring Orgeron after they fired Les Miles.

IIRC Kill admitted he wasn't Maturi's firs choice and made the comparison that he wasn't his wife's first choice either.

Coach O was an interim hire after Miles was fired. USC should have retained him after he went 6-1 as their interim in 2013. They hired Sarkisian instead.

Hire Dave Smart. He wins and wins and wins. Produced a ton of pros, sells recruits on going to a difficult place and his highly regarded in the profession. Young enough for be here for a while.

I brought him up last year on here. I really believe he could win a lot of games here. Currently POBO but coached through the 18-19 season.

Hire Dave Smart. He wins and wins and wins. Produced a ton of pros, sells recruits on going to a difficult place and highly regarded in the profession. Young enough to be here for a while.

I brought him up last year on here. I really believe he could win a lot of games here. Currently POBO but coached through the 18-19 season.

This wouldn’t sit well with fans but winning games fixes that. Have to wonder if you could get him. Guessing others have tried in the past

By that logic no coach should be fired ever because you never know if a move will be "lateral" or "better". (or worse for that matter)

If you are afraid to make a mistake, you arent the one who should be making the decisions.

If you have a coach that no one else would want in your conference, then why keep him? What has Pitino done to earn another year? Wont we have the same dilemma next year if the team goes nowhere?

We have seen his peak...the next coach might suck but by the same thinking he might not. At this point it is way more logical to take a shot at something better than to stick with the "under-recruit and pray for no injuries and issues" philosophy Pitino has. That may work at a small school but not the Big Ten.
+1. How can a new coach be much worse? Our conference record has been terrible the last 7 years.

This wouldn’t sit well with fans but winning games fixes that. Have to wonder if you could get him. Guessing others have tried in the past
Who is dave smart and why wouldnt it sit well given you say he is a proven winner?

Top Bottom