Minnesota Head Basketball Coach Want List

I've seen him out coached too many times. I'd be looking at Eden Prairie's head coach if we're gonna go that route.
Getting ahead of the game, but the EP coach and Damian Johnson of NSP are uncommon coaching prospects that I'd like to see on a Gopher staff someday. Clem got it right when he hired Dave Thorson, who has had distinguished careers at both the HS and college levels. A dream scenario is that an alum like Johnson proves worthy of the head job at some point in the future.

Khalid El-Amin - Is an assistant coach at burnsville.

I like the idea of Damian Johnson honestly.

love the idea of adding Johnson as an assistant coach.

And bobby Jackson is another guy im calling to gauge his interest in coming to his alma mater to be an assistant coach as well. I see he is an assistant coach for player development with the kings

Some of you need to get your name on record. I assume that a new winning coach will have everyone claiming they supported his hire. A coach that does worse than Pitino, Lord help us, and I assume everyone will be pointing fingers.

I can still remember the day that I was sitting at the Big Ten Tournament (I think in Indy) and reading GH on my phone. It was slow to download back then. I remember leaning over to my father in law and mentioning that someone said Tubby Smith was coming to MN long before it was announced. I still wish I knew who that was because that dude had some serious inside info.

I thought we were saved and the Haskins scandal/Monson years were finally over. Little did I know. Before you get too excited about the next John Wooden you better do a gut check. The next year or two is going to be pretty bumpy...

Deciding to fire a coach is a decision that is independent of hiring his replacement.

For example, it was the right decision to fire Brewster, even if the person we hired went 2-10 for 5 straight seasons.

Yeah, neither are coming here. I don't get peoples obsession with Musselman though. Because his dad coached here? Eric has no ties here.

Musselman has yet to prove anything at the P5 level, and has only 1 prior stop as a head coach in college basketball. Arkansas has now lost 5 straight and is 4-9 in the SEC.

Craig Smith also has yet to coach at this level, but has immediately turned around multiple programs. In his first year he took a Utah State team that was previously .500 and shared a regular season title with Musselman's Nevada team in the Mountain West. Utah State also won the conference tournament.

Smith has proven he's as good, if not a better candidate than Musselman.

you are correct about Musselman, but he is not coaching his players. He had Nevada playing at a very high level last year. not saying he is a homerun but would be one of the few I would like to see here if there is a coaching change

not sure there is one that is attainable
Beilein or Musselman, but those aren't attainable
If those aren’t attainable, and a move has to be made (it does), then why not go for the best mid-major/G5 head coach you can get?

What good does it do to move laterally or down grade.

There is a chance at that. It's the same reason why you always hit a 13 against a face card. There is a chance you can bust, but it's still the right move.

Trust me, if disaster strikes and our program gets worse because of the new hire. I'm sure the next hire will be able to get us back up to 12th in the Big 10.

Hiring an unproven Mid Major coach is not the same as hiring FLeck...no even close.
Almost all G5/mid-major coaches are unproven at the P5/high-major level. Fleck included. Not sure why you think otherwise. He was no more of a guaranteed thing than Kill was, coming from N Illinois.

Almost all G5/mid-major coaches are unproven at the P5/high-major level. Fleck included. Not sure why you think otherwise. He was no more of a guaranteed thing than Kill was, coming from N Illinois.

Kill and Fleck both had Fantastic program turn arounds in the 2 schools prior to coming here.

all I'm saying is don't reach... Fleck and Kill were not reaches.

so you fire someone before you have his replacement??

Not sure any college does that unless the coach was fired illegal behavior

Yeah, all the time.

Almost every college does that for all of their hires. I think it's pretty rare that they have the replacement in hand before making the move. That's a luxury, not the norm.

Yeah, all the time.

Almost every college does that for all of their hires. I think it's pretty rare that they have the replacement in hand before making the move. That's a luxury, not the norm.

we will agree to disagree on this one

Kill and Fleck both had Fantastic program turn arounds in the 2 schools prior to coming here.

all I'm saying is don't reach... Fleck and Kill were not reaches.
I don’t see why maintaining a high level of success in the two seasons you’re at a program should be dismissed, simply because it’s not a turn around.

I disagree that Craig Smith is more of a reach than Fleck. But my opinion is fairly worthless and each is entitled to their own.

Yeah, all the time.

Coyle definitely knew he had Fleck in hand before firing Claeys. I'd be willing to bet he'll know who he's hiring before making a move on Pitino

Coyle definitely knew he had Fleck in hand before firing Claeys. I'd be willing to bet he'll know who he's hiring before making a move on Pitino

Yeah, I think it happens.

I don't think Maturi knew he was hiring Kill when he fired Brewster.
LSU certainly didn't know they were hiring Orgeron after they fired Les Miles.

I don’t see why maintaining a high level of success in the two seasons you’re at a program should be dismissed, simply because it’s not a turn around.

I disagree that Craig Smith is more of a reach than Fleck. But my opinion is fairly worthless and each is entitled to their own.
No your opinion is worth a lot. Here. The off topic- there it is worthless. :):)

What about Chris Jans? His teams play defense at about a high of a level as you can ask, from Iowa too!

What about Chris Jans? His teams play defense at about a high of a level as you can ask, from Iowa too!

Like a typical Iowan, he got drunk and made a fool of himself on video (slapped a girl's bum at the bar). It's why he got canned from Bowling Green.

He seems like a really good coach though

What good does it do to move laterally or down grade.

By that logic no coach should be fired ever because you never know if a move will be "lateral" or "better". (or worse for that matter)

If you are afraid to make a mistake, you arent the one who should be making the decisions.

If you have a coach that no one else would want in your conference, then why keep him? What has Pitino done to earn another year? Wont we have the same dilemma next year if the team goes nowhere?

We have seen his peak...the next coach might suck but by the same thinking he might not. At this point it is way more logical to take a shot at something better than to stick with the "under-recruit and pray for no injuries and issues" philosophy Pitino has. That may work at a small school but not the Big Ten.

Like a typical Iowan, he got drunk and made a fool of himself on video (slapped a girl's bum at the bar). It's why he got canned from Bowling Green.

He seems like a really good coach though
Exactly, a dam good coach, but yeah that whole incident makes certain folks/AD's leery of course, an idea.

Top Bottom