Minnesota Golden Gophers Tied for Lowest Win Total in Big Ten With 4.5 Wins Predicted for 2024

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Over the weekend FanDuel released their preseason win totals for the Big Ten and the popular sports book is not very high on the Gophers' entering the spring. FanDuel currently has the Golden Gophers' over/under win total at 4.5 wins, tied for the lowest in the Big Ten with the Purdue Boilermakers. The Golden Gophers in 2023 finished the season 6-7 thanks to a Quick Lane Bowl victory over Bowling Green on December 26.

Go Gophers!!

"Every obstacle, or challenge, is a stepping stone on the path to greatness."

Row The Boat!
Ski-U-Mah!
Go Gophers!

True, but if Brosmer is as good as advertised
Well, this is kinda important.

He was good ... in FCS. Will that translate to Big Ten? If you can tell that for sure now, then go make some money.

Let's start with the North Carolina game. It's too early to know, but...

I watched the Gophers-UNC game this last year and thought the Gophers had their chances. I didn't think UNC firmly had it until the 4th, despite the score.

Would a different QB mean the difference?

It's too early to know but... UNC will be an early up.

The passing game was a disaster for the Gophers. Athan Kaliakmanis had one of the worst games of his career, finishing 11-of-29 for 133 passing yards and an interception.

Everyone here saying take it ..... you've actually laid the bet, right?

How much? $10k?

yeah i'd hammer the over on that provided it's roughly even money. RI and Nev are what they are, MD unloads their QB/best player, UNC loses their QB and a bunch of players, Illinois hasn't magically gotten better, Rutgers is Rutgers, Iowa and WI are still even with us as they have been and UCLA loses a bunch of players on D and was mediocre last year. Chop that pot evenly and beat RI and Nev and you're covering the over easily.

Is that actually an actionable bet on FanDuel? Minnesota hasn't had less than 5 wins since 2011. Unrealistic. I think for 4 or less wins to happen, the Fleck staff would need to leave and tons of good players exit the roster between now and September.

Edit add:
It is an actionable bet. Risk $100 to win $65.79, so not the best potential payout.

1707922397272.png

That’s neat.

Plenty of places picked the Gophers to finish near the bottom of the west in 2019. I’ll wait until the games are played to evaluate teams.
Can you name any? I make bets every year and the Gophers win total was like 6.5 or 7 that year, where usually a bottom team will have like 3 wins.

I get the sense that you don't like it, but you can't just change facts to fit the narrative you want (which appears to be that these guys don't know what they're talking about).

Here's each team. I think the over on Minnesota's 4.5 is a strong bet even if the payout is low (meaning the oddsmakers believe there's a high probability that Minnesota gets more wins). I was at first surprised by the low USC number, but they have a brutal schedule next year.

5.5 Illinois
5.5 Indiana
7.5 Iowa
7.5 Maryland
9.5 Michigan
5.5 Michigan State
4.5 Minnesota
7.5 Nebraska
5.5 Northwestern
10.5 Ohio State
10.5 Oregon
9.5 Penn State
4.5 Purdue
5.5 UCLA
7.5 USC
7.5 Washington
6.5 Wisconsin

Can you name any? I make bets every year and the Gophers win total was like 6.5 or 7 that year, where usually a bottom team will have like 3 wins.

I get the sense that you don't like it, but you can't just change facts to fit the narrative you want (which appears to be that these guys don't know what they're talking about).

I just think the national perspective is that the defense fell apart, the offense struggled, and the Coordinator hires were pedestrian.

I think there is enough talent to win as many as 8 games. All depends on how it all comes together.

Is that actually an actionable bet on FanDuel? Minnesota hasn't had less than 5 wins since 2011. Unrealistic. I think for 4 or less wins to happen, the Fleck staff would need to leave and tons of good players exit the roster between now and September.

Edit add:
It is an actionable bet. Risk $100 to win $65.79, so not the best potential payout.

View attachment 30133
Meaning that they think over is the more likely outcome?

If you bet under you win $152 on a $100 bet, if it hits?

If true, then it means — per usual — the narrative was perversely twisted from reality.

They set the OU number based on what they think will draw out the most bets. Not what they actually think the wins will be.

Top Bottom