Minnesota Golden Gophers in the NFL - 2023 Season

Bateman and Faalele getting decent run for Baltimore tonight.
Big Dan fun to watch in the first half…every play I saw him in his guy didn’t have a chance to do anything. Haven’t seen him in the 2nd half outside of special teams.

Ko Kieft just caught his first pass of the year for a TD.
I'm old and have enjoyed watching a lot of Gophers have successful pro careers, but I may get the greatest enjoyment watching Kieft do well. I can remember the debate leading up to the 2022 draft when a lot of detractors said "No chance he gets drafted and he might get a free agent look." Some of us thought the fact that although he may be a one-tool guy, that tool is so impressive that someone will take a chance on him. Bucs did and although his stats are never going to be eye-popping, he can be a contributor.

Probably will have a career of decent length as long as he can stand up to the battering and everyone knows Kieft brings the lumber. That has to take a toll, but he's usually on the dishing end of the equation.

I'm old and have enjoyed watching a lot of Gophers have successful pro careers, but I may get the greatest enjoyment watching Kieft do well. I can remember the debate leading up to the 2022 draft when a lot of detractors said "No chance he gets drafted and he might get a free agent look." Some of us thought the fact that although he may be a one-tool guy, that tool is so impressive that someone will take a chance on him. Bucs did and although his stats are never going to be eye-popping, he can be a contributor.

Probably will have a career of decent length as long as he can stand up to the battering and everyone knows Kieft brings the lumber. That has to take a toll, but he's usually on the dishing end of the equation.
Whole video is worth watching for fun but skip to the 1:30 mark for the bit about Ko's TD....good stuff :)

During the Eagles/Seahawks game they showed a graphic that Boye Mafe is leading the Seahawks with 7 sacks on the season. There was another stat he was leading in as well but can't remeber what it was. Had a nice pass breakup and seems to be having a really solid year.

Man--it's so much fun to watch an NFL game and say to my brother-in-law

"Hey, that was so and so, Minnesota Gopher, that made that play!"

It wasn't so long ago, that there were hardly any Gophers in the League. Keep 'em coming Peej!
Still a ways to go but definitely feels like more former Gophers are making an impact in the league these days. Hopefully we can continue putting guys into the league and they keep going out there making plays.

Watched the game last night and Howden looked pretty good. Stafford was lighting it up, but I didn't see Howden exposed. He plays right up at the line in a few of the Saints' defensive sets and he's not afraid to jump into the scrum. He made a couple of nice plays near the line and tripped up a receiver that someone else lost in coverage that could have resulted in a big gain.

Always liked Howden. Really grew as a player in his four years with the Gophers.

Logged in on Christmas Day for the sole purpose of stating that AWJr for All-Pro is far understating his impact. He’s the DPOY even if he went to wisconsin.

Bucs are my local team and I see him play a lot. He’s everywhere that matters, for all the big plays. Yesterday he had a sack, INT, and fumble recovery in the same game, the 2nd such defender in the NFL this year

He’s recording safeties, sacks, knocking balls out the end zone for touchbacks. Every game it’s something, or a few things. The Bucs win 2-3 less games this year without him.

DPOY seems to be a pass rushers award in recent years, but what more does AWJr need to do? Most impactful defensive player I have seen in a long time.

Logged in on Christmas Day for the sole purpose of stating that AWJr for All-Pro is far understating his impact. He’s the DPOY even if he went to wisconsin.

Bucs are my local team and I see him play a lot. He’s everywhere that matters, for all the big plays. Yesterday he had a sack, INT, and fumble recovery in the same game, the 2nd such defender in the NFL this year

He’s recording safeties, sacks, knocking balls out the end zone for touchbacks. Every game it’s something, or a few things. The Bucs win 2-3 less games this year without him.

DPOY seems to be a pass rushers award in recent years, but what more does AWJr need to do? Most impactful defensive player I have seen in a long time.
Wish he was a Viking so I could watch him more.

NFL Safety Rankings 2023: Antoine Winfield Jr, Jessie Bates III, and Jevon Holland Battle for Top Marks

Who’s the Best Safety in the NFL?​

Antoine Winfield Jr. is the best safety in the NFL.

The 2022 NFL season was the one that elevated Antoine Winfield Jr. into stardom. The Tampa Bay Buccaneers decided it was best for their football team if the 5’9″ safety played a bulk of his snaps as a slot defender, often putting him in disadvantageous situations in man coverage against the other team’s best player.

And he excelled in that role. He’d spent most of his time as a Minnesota Golden Gopher and then Tampa Bay playing as a free safety on the back end. But his willingness and ability to make an impact against the run from the slot always made it a tantalizing role for him.

He’s slid back into a more traditional free safety role in 2023, but he’s still managed the second-most pressures of any safety and the most sacks. In 14 weeks of play, he’s rushed the passer 38 times, posting 15 pressures on those 38 attempts.

He’s still the same elite playmaker he was in college.

Top Bottom