Midseason termination is not a bad thing

Ewert86PC

Metrodome Era Survivor
Reaction score
I am not against a midseason termination of CBJ because he is expecting this, this lackadaisical, bumbling, laissez-faire, bumbling attitude to be acceptable for the remainder of this year and his contract.

He is not exhibiting any sense of urgency to make this team improve in the near-term or even in the next week. This mysterious cerebral coach affect he wants to project works against him, especially when he gets outcoached on a regular basis.

This attitude is seeping over onto the team and does the players a huge disservice.

If CBJ isn't showing a sense of urgency in the next week to ten days look for The Barn to be half-filled by Gopher fans for the remainder of the season. This will be a pleasant experience when Iowa and Wisconsin come to play and their fans are able to buy tickets for less than face value. :eyeroll:

I am not against a midseason termination of CBJ because he is expecting this, this lackadaisical, bumbling, laissez-faire, bumbling attitude to be acceptable for the remainder of this year and his contract.

He is not exhibiting any sense of urgency to make this team improve in the near-term or even in the next week. This mysterious cerebral coach affect he wants to project works against him, especially when he gets outcoached on a regular basis.

This attitude is seeping over onto the team and does the players a huge disservice.

If CBJ isn't showing a sense of urgency in the next week to ten days look for The Barn to be half-filled by Gopher fans for the remainder of the season. This will be a pleasant experience when Iowa and Wisconsin come to play and their fans are able to buy tickets for less than face value. :eyeroll:
Half-filled?

That might be generous. (not busting your chops!)

The only benefit to a midseason firing would be to audition a different coach on the staff to be the potential replacement. If you don't feel that guy is on the staff then you gain nothing really by firing the coach before the end of the season.

Is there a way to settle on the buyout and start the transition now. This coach coaches like he has already quit.

Can we all agree Coyle seems to have a hard time selling anything ??
How is he going to convince administration we need pay a $6 million buyout for a men's basketball coach with a last place football team.
Oh by the way I just fired the women's basketball coach I hired a couple of years ago too. But that didn't cost us as much so I think it'll be okay.
Yes, but Mark some people want to fire the football coach if he doesn't win next year....that'll be expensive too.
Let's give Ben one more year. Okay.

The only benefit to a midseason firing would be to audition a different coach on the staff to be the potential replacement. If you don't feel that guy is on the staff then you gain nothing really by firing the coach before the end of the season.
I disagree. It gets the toxic air out of the building and lets everyone know change is coming. It was good Monson was dismissed midseason and they played better and harder for Coach Mo than they would have for him. I'm not sure there's a good interim on the staff but we can see what Thorsen is I guess.

How is he going to convince administration we need pay a $6 million buyout for a men's basketball coach with a last place football team.
Oh by the way I just fired the women's basketball coach I hired a couple of years ago too. But that didn't cost us as much so I think it'll be okay.
Yes, but Mark some people want to fire the football coach if he doesn't win next year....that'll be expensive too.
How's he going to sell 1,000 season tickets next year if he runs Ben back?

If we don't beat Nebraska (or my some miracle OSU) I'm not opposed to a change. If they can't win a home game against Nebraska, they're not winning more than 3 or 4 B1G games. I don't expect it to happen though.

How's he going to sell 1,000 season tickets next year if he runs Ben back?
Well, hard to believe but 900 people bought season tickets this year. 700 people bought season tickets last year. So, I can’t explain that but I do think if you have prime seats-you don’t want to lose priority knowing he is going to get fired in a season or two.

When we hire Jay Wright they know they’ll be kicking themselves.

Buying out Ben is much more than the ticket revenue lost. Guessing a sizable number of accounts are businesses.

How about he just says "Okay, we tried it your way and it cost us over $6 million. Now just let me do my job."

Nope, cant agree to that. There are some here on GH that think Marky is wonderful.

If we don't beat Nebraska (or my some miracle OSU) I'm not opposed to a change. If they can't win a home game against Nebraska, they're not winning more than 3 or 4 B1G games. I don't expect it to happen though.
Psst, Nebraska is squarely in the upper half of the B1G this year. They did a nice job of finding some portal pieces to go with Tominaga, including a possible all-conference player in Mast. It's a home game, so there's that, but losing to them would not be the disgrace it would have been in prior years.

The issue with the Gophers not challenging themselves in the noncon (also a failing of CBJ) is that they haven't learned enough on where they need to get better when real teams start coming around. OSU is a good example of a team that figured some things out against good competition. MSU goes through this seemingly every year. Things that work against UNO or Ark PB won't against Nebraska. You'll never know what those things are without facing stiffer tests.

Psst, Nebraska is squarely in the upper half of the B1G this year. They did a nice job of finding some portal pieces to go with Tominaga, including a possible all-conference player in Mast. It's a home game, so there's that, but losing to them would not be the disgrace it would have been in prior years.

The issue with the Gophers not challenging themselves in the noncon (also a failing of CBJ) is that they haven't learned enough on where they need to get better when real teams start coming around. OSU is a good example of a team that figured some things out against good competition. MSU goes through this seemingly every year. Things that work against UNO or Ark PB won't against Nebraska. You'll never know what those things are without facing stiffer tests.
Nebraska is one of the few P5 schools with a worst rated nonconference schedule than Minnesota which says a lot. Lots for them to prove still.

Nope, cant agree to that. There are some here on GH that think Marky is wonderful.
He is alright. Can you imagine the Lori Lightfoot wanna we that we would hire to replace him? I mean Nils second language wasn’t even English. Now that was a major mistake.

Nebraska is one of the few P5 schools with a worst rated nonconference schedule than Minnesota which says a lot. Lots for them to prove still.
That's not true. Theirs isn't great (they do have Creighton coming up, btw), but nobody was worse than Minnesota. They were dead last.

Ben isn't getting another year and they likely won't have to pay him 6 million. Also the football team didn't finish last.

Ben isn't getting fired midseason either, unless they start 0-10 in the B1G.

Unfortunately, I could see a hypothetical conversation going that way.

I honestly don't know what is so hard about this. Look at how the Illinois coach turned that place around.
THEY PLAY IN YOUR FACE LOCKDOWN DEFENSE. This is the only way to win with lesser talent. Get up in their face, tell 10-11 guys they are getting run and guard the heck out of people. We will be out-talented in almost every game we play this year. This is the only way, flat out. So easy to see it's mind boggling no one has tried it here since Clem.

I guess the ranking depends which rating source you consult. I don't think it matters much anyway because I doubt there is much of a qualitative difference between the 333rd ranked schedule and the 353rd ranked schedule.

I agree with you to an extent. I'm not sure where they will finish but I expect them to finish at least a couple of places above the 11th place they finished last season. I watched them against Duquesne (a pretty decent team) and I was fairly impressed. They did find some good portal pieces. Even an unheralded player like Josiah Allick (transfer from New Mexico) adds a lot of value. I was wishing we had a strong, athletic, blue-collar type player like him on our team.

Should have kept Little Ricky!! Bottom line is Ben is not that good. Perception is reality. Ben looks like he is going through the motions. He has a hard time making adjustments.....or he is stubborn beyond belief.

The worst golfer to play with in a scramble is the guy who says he is a 1 handicap and is really a 10.

Ben seems like a nice guy, but comes off a arrogant beyond with his arms crossed and not making in game adjustments.

TIME TO GO!!

Top Bottom