Media Prediction Thread: Minnesota at North Carolina

neutral site
He said "on the road". To me any game away
It was discussed earlier how it was considered a neutral site game, not a true road game. I don't agree with it either, but technically correct is the best kind of correct ;)
Sorry mine posted late. It was stated "on the road ". To me any game away from home is on the road. Maybe I'm mincing words but .... t.s.🥴

College Football News has North Carolina defeating Minnesota, 26-23
Minnesota will once again be Minnesota by grinding the game down to a crawl. North Carolina would love to make this a bit of a track meet, but it’s up to the Gopher defense to slow down the O that’s been among the best in the nation so far on third downs.

Minnesota will accomplish its mission, but Maye will come through with a few good scoring drives to overcome a sputtering first half.

Does Lindenberg play the same linebacker spot as Maverick? Or would they both be the starters?
They do, but it's not uncommon to slide one of them over to get both on the field.

Minnesota will once again be Minnesota by grinding the game down to a crawl. North Carolina would love to make this a bit of a track meet, but it’s up to the Gopher defense to slow down the O that’s been among the best in the nation so far on third downs.

Minnesota will accomplish its mission, but Maye will come through with a few good scoring drives to overcome a sputtering first half.
This is okay! Our Gophers are more than capable of "Shocking the world".

Greder chimes in:

Prediction: A tough one to gauge. But the Gophers should be able to throw against the Tar Heels defense and star safety Tyler Nubin can intercept Maye in a big moment to give Minnesota its first road win over a top 25 team since Nebraska in 2014. Gophers, 28-27

Go Gophers!!

They do, but it's not uncommon to slide one of them over to get both on the field.
Just seems like Maverick has earned a starting job with the way he has been playing. Devon Williams had a nice interception as well. Linebacker was a concern of my preseason, but appears we have some elite players at LB.

At USA Today, sports writers are split, three picking Minnesota, three taking North Carolina.

Last Word On Sports has North Carolina winning 27-17
The Tarheels average 35.5 points per game, and the Gophers have allowed eight points per game, so something has to give. North Carolina should be able to move the ball, but the Gophers should prevent a high-scoring game. Rossi’s defense will hold the Tarheels to their lowest point total on the season.

North Carolina has allowed 25.5 points per game this season but has successfully gotten to the quarterback. The Gophers will lean on Taylor and Tyler to establish the run game and limit pressure and mistakes by Kaliakmanis. The Gophers’ passing attack has been inconsistent, and it won’t improve against North Carolina in a tough road game.

Saturday Blitz has North Carolina winning 24-17
In the first two games of the season, North Carolina has beaten an SEC team and an in-state G-5 opponent. The Golden Gophers beat Nebraska to open 1-0 in Big Ten play and beat a G-5 team last week. This looks to be a very solid matchup.

Look for the Gophers’ offensive line to try and “impose their will” over the Tar heels as they will line up and run, then run some more. UNC’s defensive front overwhelmed South Carolina in the week one victory. It will be interesting to see if the Tar Heels can do that against Minnesota making the Golden Gophers one-dimensional offensively.

Bleacher Report has North Carolina beating Minnesota 27-17
Through two games, it appears Minnesota will be laboring to put up points regularly in 2023. However, the Golden Gophers have also surrendered just 16 points to Nebraska and Eastern Michigan.

That's not incredible competition, but it's enough to suggest that Drake Maye-led North Carolina won't be able to run away.

Pro Football Focus is predicting a 28-17 North Carolina win
Ultimately, North Carolina may rely heavily on a rushing attack that has had a different 100-yard rusher in each of the first two games. The Golden Gophers have struggled mightily in run defense, with the second-highest average depth of tackle against the run in the Power Five (5.77 yards).

Minnesota struggles to get anything going offensively while Maye and the dominant Tar Heels run game find enough success to come out with a victory.

Just seems like Maverick has earned a starting job with the way he has been playing. Devon Williams had a nice interception as well. Linebacker was a concern of my preseason, but appears we have some elite players at LB.
Adding to what you said, I think that both are athletic enough to move outside if necessary. Coach Sori-Marin was a great linebacker that thought very fast, but wasn't always fleet of foot. Don't know that he would have excelled on the outside. I feel that Lindenberg and Baranowski could both play well outside. Especially boundary side. This flexibility will IMHO only help the defense and confuse (EDIT)their offense.

Last edited:

At USA Today, sports writers are split, three picking Minnesota, three taking North Carolina.

Last Word On Sports has North Carolina winning 27-17
The Tarheels average 35.5 points per game, and the Gophers have allowed eight points per game, so something has to give. North Carolina should be able to move the ball, but the Gophers should prevent a high-scoring game. Rossi’s defense will hold the Tarheels to their lowest point total on the season.

North Carolina has allowed 25.5 points per game this season but has successfully gotten to the quarterback. The Gophers will lean on Taylor and Tyler to establish the run game and limit pressure and mistakes by Kaliakmanis. The Gophers’ passing attack has been inconsistent, and it won’t improve against North Carolina in a tough road game.

Saturday Blitz has North Carolina winning 24-17
In the first two games of the season, North Carolina has beaten an SEC team and an in-state G-5 opponent. The Golden Gophers beat Nebraska to open 1-0 in Big Ten play and beat a G-5 team last week. This looks to be a very solid matchup.

Look for the Gophers’ offensive line to try and “impose their will” over the Tar heels as they will line up and run, then run some more. UNC’s defensive front overwhelmed South Carolina in the week one victory. It will be interesting to see if the Tar Heels can do that against Minnesota making the Golden Gophers one-dimensional offensively.

Bleacher Report has North Carolina beating Minnesota 27-17
Through two games, it appears Minnesota will be laboring to put up points regularly in 2023. However, the Golden Gophers have also surrendered just 16 points to Nebraska and Eastern Michigan.

That's not incredible competition, but it's enough to suggest that Drake Maye-led North Carolina won't be able to run away.

Pro Football Focus is predicting a 28-17 North Carolina win
Ultimately, North Carolina may rely heavily on a rushing attack that has had a different 100-yard rusher in each of the first two games. The Golden Gophers have struggled mightily in run defense, with the second-highest average depth of tackle against the run in the Power Five (5.77 yards).

Minnesota struggles to get anything going offensively while Maye and the dominant Tar Heels run game find enough success to come out with a victory.
1694711855258.png

They have never played together. Mav is a RS Freshman. He had a few plays last season on special teams. Lindenberg and Mav have never been on the field together for a defensive play. But you may be right for the NC game. I could see situations where they are both on the field. 4-2-5(nickel) defense on obvious passing plays. IDK. We'll see.

The language of fan boards require very specific translation skills.

“Wow, the media doesn’t think much of the Gophers. That could be added motivation”

Translation:

“You are stupid. Team is in deep trouble if they NEED motivation from the media.”

It's sort of like if Minnesota had gone to double OT with Eastern Michigan last weekend. If Minnesota were top 25 and went to double OT with EMU, we're not sniffing the polls again until there's at least 3 more consecutive wins.

You know this isn’t true. Teams in the top 25 that win rarely move down unless a team below them has a much more impressive win. If the gophers were ranked 20 and barely beat EMU they’d be ranked 18-22 the following week.

The attitude that the gophers are always getting screwed or whatever is so tired and old.

They have never played together. Mav is a RS Freshman. He had a few plays last season on special teams. Lindenberg and Mav have never been on the field together for a defensive play. But you may be right for the NC game. I could see situations where they are both on the field. 4-2-5(nickel) defense on obvious passing plays. IDK. We'll see.
What you said. I didn't state clearly what I meant. Thinking from the perspective that much of defense is knowing your role, if one or both knows what both positions roles are within the defense sliding over is doable. Even if not done in a game yet.

Against Maye we will play mostly with two LBs and a nickel back. Mav, Williams, and Selig will all get time with Cody.

The Star Tribune is predicting a 27-24 Minnesota victory
Offensive efficiency will be key for the Gophers, who've scored three touchdowns and kicked five field goals through two games. Coach P.J. Fleck made it a point for the offensive line and running game to assert their will against Eastern Michigan, and a big reason why is because they'll likely need to control the clock to beat North Carolina.

On defense, the Gophers are pressuring opposing QBs, and that's important to keep Maye in check. Oddsmakers have North Carolina favored by a TD, but look for a tight game. Dragan Kesich's big left leg could come in handy again.

Gopher Illustrated (247 Sports) has North Carolina winning 27-24
If PJ Fleck and Minnesota are going to walk out of Chapel Hill with a win, it comes down to the same formula as with most Gopher victories. Dominate time of possession, win the explosive play margin, and don't miss as many tackles as the other team.

Welcome to the 78% that Fleck is constantly referencing. But it's also seeing the Minnesota offense be much more efficient in the red zone, as leaving possessions with three or zero points isn't going to beat a ranked team on the road.

I believe that Joe Rossi and this Gopher defense slow down Drake Maye enough to give the offense a chance in the fourth quarter. Still, until this offense can show the ability to be explosive and finish drives with touchdowns in the red zone, it's tough to see the Gophers earning a ranked road win.

The Fayetteville Observer is predicting a 28-18 North Carolina victory
The Golden Gophers will try to play keep away, but Minnesota’s offense doesn’t have the firepower to keep up with Drake Maye and the Tar Heels. It’ll be a grind, but UNC will add a fourth-quarter touchdown to get some breathing room.

Tar Hell Blog (North Carolina SB Nation) has North Carolina defeating Minnesota 35-24
Will Lindsey find openings that Minnesota kept closed against weaker opponents? The Gophers have not gone up against a future first-round NFL Draft pick yet this season. Will Carolina dissect the Minnesota secondary, or will they serve a second straight week of Hampton up the gut? In either case, they are head and shoulders the best offense Minnesota has faced so far this season.

Crimson Quarry (Indiana SB Nation) is picking Minnesota in the match
You see a number next to North Carolina’s name, yes?

I don’t believe that’s accurate, you can’t tell me that operation is the 20th best in the country, no shot. The offense hasn’t been inspiring despite good performances and I don’t believe they have what it takes.

They’re riding high and I think Minnesota could be a wake-up call.

Here are the staff picks at The Daily Gopher (Minnesota SB Nation)
Goaupher has North Carolina winning 21-13
I would be happy to be wrong. The only thing I feel relatively sure of is that Minnesota’s defense should be able to keep them in this game. Whether the offense is able to rise to match them is more of a question.

GopherGuy05 is picking North Carolina, 24-10
The defense keeps the UNC offense relatively in check, but the Gophers offense struggles against against a real defense and needs to figure things out.

GopherNation is predicting a 21-17 North Carolina win
Minnesota will struggle to score, but so will North Carolina. It took them two overtimes to take down Appalachian State, but that may be a bit of a wake-up call just ahead of this matchup.

Mowe0018 has Minnesota winning 28-27
PJ Fleck is 5-0 against non-Big Ten Power 5 teams on neutral/away venues at Minnesota. Winning ugly thus far has various shades of 2019. While I don’t predict 11 wins, I do think UNC is getting a tad too much love thus far and Minnesota is better than their final scores indicate.

Street has North Carolina winning 21-14
First to 21 points wins. I expect to hate watch this game.

White Speed Receiver is taking Minnesota 27-24
Have you accepted Joe Rossi as your savior? If not, he may scream at you until you figure your shit out.

WildCatToo has the Gophers winning 24-21
This is a bit of a homer pick on my part, because I’m not entirely sure what to make of the Tar Heels. I think the game might come down to the Gophers being a bit tougher on defense than UNC, and then putting the game away with a late field goal.

ZipsOfAkron is taking Minnesota 17-14
Two things: 1) Minnesota will win this game strictly because it is important to the overall character arc of Gopher fans. Win here and the expectations are sky high, which sets up a delicious letdown. 2) The meat of the Big Ten is better than the meat of the ACC and I think UNC will be surprised by the stoutness of the defense.

You know this isn’t true. Teams in the top 25 that win rarely move down unless a team below them has a much more impressive win. If the gophers were ranked 20 and barely beat EMU they’d be ranked 18-22 the following week.

The attitude that the gophers are always getting screwed or whatever is so tired and old.
If this were mid-October I agree with you. But the Gophers don't have that benefit of the doubt to not have pollsters panic over double OT with EMU 2 weeks in - even though they have won a lot the last few years.

Even UNC dropped 2-3 slots on their struggles with App State. The Gophs would get punished even harder in Week 2 because they don't have the recruiting record for the benefit of the doubt.

Already stretching for offensive accolades if you pull out that they are really good on 3rd downs. I pointed out in another post, you can argue Maye has been outplayed by the opposing QB in both games so far.

Offensive efficiency will be key for the Gophers, who've scored three touchdowns and kicked five field goals through two games. Coach P.J. Fleck made it a point for the offensive line and running game to assert their will against Eastern Michigan, and a big reason why is because they'll likely need to control the clock to beat North Carolina.

On defense, the Gophers are pressuring opposing QBs, and that's important to keep Maye in check. Oddsmakers have North Carolina favored by a TD, but look for a tight game. Dragan Kesich's big left leg could come in handy again.

If PJ Fleck and Minnesota are going to walk out of Chapel Hill with a win, it comes down to the same formula as with most Gopher victories. Dominate time of possession, win the explosive play margin, and don't miss as many tackles as the other team.

Welcome to the 78% that Fleck is constantly referencing. But it's also seeing the Minnesota offense be much more efficient in the red zone, as leaving possessions with three or zero points isn't going to beat a ranked team on the road.

I believe that Joe Rossi and this Gopher defense slow down Drake Maye enough to give the offense a chance in the fourth quarter. Still, until this offense can show the ability to be explosive and finish drives with touchdowns in the red zone, it's tough to see the Gophers earning a ranked road win.

The Golden Gophers will try to play keep away, but Minnesota’s offense doesn’t have the firepower to keep up with Drake Maye and the Tar Heels. It’ll be a grind, but UNC will add a fourth-quarter touchdown to get some breathing room.

Tar Hell Blog (North Carolina SB Nation) has North Carolina defeating Minnesota 35-24
Will Lindsey find openings that Minnesota kept closed against weaker opponents? The Gophers have not gone up against a future first-round NFL Draft pick yet this season. Will Carolina dissect the Minnesota secondary, or will they serve a second straight week of Hampton up the gut? In either case, they are head and shoulders the best offense Minnesota has faced so far this season.

I don’t believe that’s accurate, you can’t tell me that operation is the 20th best in the country, no shot. The offense hasn’t been inspiring despite good performances and I don’t believe they have what it takes.

I would be happy to be wrong. The only thing I feel relatively sure of is that Minnesota’s defense should be able to keep them in this game. Whether the offense is able to rise to match them is more of a question.

The defense keeps the UNC offense relatively in check, but the Gophers offense struggles against against a real defense and needs to figure things out.

Minnesota will struggle to score, but so will North Carolina. It took them two overtimes to take down Appalachian State, but that may be a bit of a wake-up call just ahead of this matchup.

PJ Fleck is 5-0 against non-Big Ten Power 5 teams on neutral/away venues at Minnesota. Winning ugly thus far has various shades of 2019. While I don’t predict 11 wins, I do think UNC is getting a tad too much love thus far and Minnesota is better than their final scores indicate.

Have you accepted Joe Rossi as your savior? If not, he may scream at you until you figure your shit out.

This is a bit of a homer pick on my part, because I’m not entirely sure what to make of the Tar Heels. I think the game might come down to the Gophers being a bit tougher on defense than UNC, and then putting the game away with a late field goal.

Two things: 1) Minnesota will win this game strictly because it is important to the overall character arc of Gopher fans. Win here and the expectations are sky high, which sets up a delicious letdown. 2) The meat of the Big Ten is better than the meat of the ACC and I think UNC will be surprised by the stoutness of the defense.
White Speed knows football, as does Blake. The rest are of no note, so their predictions don’t mean much.

Already stretching for offensive accolades if you pull out that they are really good on 3rd downs. I pointed out in another post, you can argue Maye has been outplayed by the opposing QB in both games so far.
Mack Brown’s not wrong. Maye needs Tez.

If this were mid-October I agree with you. But the Gophers don't have that benefit of the doubt to not have pollsters panic over double OT with EMU 2 weeks in - even though they have won a lot the last few years.

Even UNC dropped 2-3 slots on their struggles with App State. The Gophs would get punished even harder in Week 2 because they don't have the recruiting record for the benefit of the doubt.

UNC isn’t some blue blood football team. And they were bumped down by teams with more impressive wins. They didn’t drop out of the top 25. This is a ridiculous take.

Agree......there are some out there always looking for/expecting a slight of some kind.

Friday Forecast: Saturday Football staff picks for Week 3 CFB slate​

Derek Peterson
https://www.facebook.com/dialog/sha...ay-football-staff-picks-for-week-3-cfb-slate/

The Saturday Football crew is back for another week to provide picks against the spread for 10 of the biggest games in college football. Week 3 might be a bit of an appetizer weekend for what should be a stuffed Week 4 slate, but there are still some interesting matchups throughout the sport.

Here’s how things stand through two weeks:
  • Spenser Davis: 13-7
  • Ethan Stone: 12-8
  • Derek Peterson: 10-10
  • Paul Harvey: 8-12
CFB
2023 Week 3
Spenser DavisPaul HarveyDerek PetersonEthan Stone

09/16, 2:30PM
MINN +8

UNC -8

UNC -8
UNC -8

Minnesota at No. 20 North Carolina (-8)​

• SD: North Carolina barely escaped App State last week as the Tar Heels’ defense reverted back to some old, bad habits. Minnesota, meanwhile, had very few issues dispatching of Eastern Michigan and have likely been working on its UNC game plan for quite some time. I’m a little bit worried about Minnesota stopping the run, but I think PJ Fleck will have his team prepared enough to keep this close. PICK: Minnesota
  • PH: PJ Fleck will do his best to shorten this game on the road, but the one area UNC’s defense shines is against the run. Also, if all else fails, go with the team that has Drake Maye. No boat rowing will be found in Week 3. PICK: North Carolina
  • DP: A Minnesota team with a questionable offense has to go on the road to face one of the country’s best quarterbacks? Four Nebraska turnovers on the road yielded just a three-point Gopher win. I’ve not been impressed by Minnesota at all this year. I like North Carolina quite a bit here. PICK: North Carolina
  • ES: Why does anyone schedule App State anymore? North Carolina is fine, and I like a convincing bounce-back game here against the Gophers.
  • PICK: North Carolina
SPENSER is 13-7 and picking Gophers! against the spread. At least we have that going for us.
s84utce5jgo61.jpg

So the line keeps getting bigger. That has nothing to do with the media that’s the money going against MN, right?

Goaupher is a dink and a lousy speller!

Top Bottom