Media Prediction Thread: Minnesota at North Carolina

What the pundits should be saying: "The Gophers didn't give up a first down in the second half of Eastern Michigan. Coach Mack Brown said he's never heard of that in modern football. Now Minnesota gets linebacker Cody Lindenberg back this week to wreak more havoc. Minnesota is going to bite QB Drake Maye's head off like an Easter bunny that's empty inside."

1694603710130.png
1694603746523.png

But instead we hear: UNC, UNC, UNC, UNC to win and cover as the Heisman golden guy glitters.

Whatever, play the game.

What the pundits should be saying: "The Gophers didn't give up a first down in the second half of Eastern Michigan. Coach Mack Brown said he's never heard of that in modern football. Now Minnesota gets linebacker Cody Lindenberg back this week to wreak more havoc. Minnesota is going to bite QB Drake Maye's head off like an Easter bunny that's empty inside."

View attachment 26971
View attachment 26972

But instead we hear: UNC, UNC, UNC, UNC to win and cover as the Heisman golden guy glitters.

Whatever, play the game.
Does Lindenberg play the same linebacker spot as Maverick? Or would they both be the starters?

How is Mav doing? Got hurt late last week.
I would assume we find out his true status exactly 2 hours before the game when coaches now have to disclose it. Wouldn't expect to here much of anything before that.

But also haven't watched any of the press conferences from this week yet so maybe it was addressed there.

View attachment 26971
View attachment 26972

Whatever, play the game.
And they'll use Taylor a ton from the start which will keep the ball away from nc

I would assume we find out his true status exactly 2 hours before the game when coaches now have to disclose it. Wouldn't expect to here much of anything before that.

But also haven't watched any of the press conferences from this week yet so maybe it was addressed there.
They said after game that he was fine

The Daily Gopher has a prediction out with North Carolina winning 27-13
The Gophers have never beat a ranked opponent on the road under P.J. Fleck. While I think the Tar Heels have their fair share of flaws and are vulnerable, I am very skeptical of this Minnesota offense. It will be a competitive game but the Gophers’ lack of offensive firepower will allow North Carolina to pull away in the second half.

The Gophers have never beat a ranked opponent on the road under P.J. Fleck. While I think the Tar Heels have their fair share of flaws and are vulnerable, I am very skeptical of this Minnesota offense. It will be a competitive game but the Gophers’ lack of offensive firepower will allow North Carolina to pull away in the second half.

boo.gif

Scores and Stats has North Carolina winning 29-21
The Tar Heels might continue to lean on their rushing attack against Minnesota (2-0) as they endure the absence of wideout Tez Walker, who was ruled ineligible to play by the NCAA. UNC's Board of Trustees met Monday with Tar Heels coach Mack Brown to explore options that could lead to a path for Walker to play again.

Saturday's trip to Chapel Hill will mark the first road game of the season for Minnesota. The Gophers have never faced the Tar Heels in football. Minnesota is 16-7 all-time against teams from the Atlantic Coast Conference.

Cappers Picks has Minnesota edging North Carolina 24-23
I’m expecting the Minnesota rushing attack to exploit the weaknesses in North Carolina’s rush defense.

Defense isn’t just the key to championship success; it also plays a pivotal role in early season football victories. Exhibit A: The Golden Gophers’ defensive prowess. They’ve yielded a mere 16 points this season, following a convincing win over Eastern Michigan last weekend.

Uhhh. Gophers beat 14th ranked Auburn at the 2020 Outback bowl. That doesn't count as "on the road"?

Wow, really lazy writing. UNC soft defense is what the Gophs need to crank up that lack of firepower.

NC barely beats Appalachian State in OT giving up 34 points and all the so called experts pick them over a team that didn’t give up one first down in the second half of its last game?? Taylor and Tyler are going to run wild in this game, defense will hold, advantage Gophers!

Scores and Stats has North Carolina winning 29-21
The Tar Heels might continue to lean on their rushing attack against Minnesota (2-0) as they endure the absence of wideout Tez Walker, who was ruled ineligible to play by the NCAA. UNC's Board of Trustees met Monday with Tar Heels coach Mack Brown to explore options that could lead to a path for Walker to play again.

Saturday's trip to Chapel Hill will mark the first road game of the season for Minnesota. The Gophers have never faced the Tar Heels in football. Minnesota is 16-7 all-time against teams from the Atlantic Coast Conference.

Cappers Picks has Minnesota edging North Carolina 24-23
I’m expecting the Minnesota rushing attack to exploit the weaknesses in North Carolina’s rush defense.

Defense isn’t just the key to championship success; it also plays a pivotal role in early season football victories. Exhibit A: The Golden Gophers’ defensive prowess. They’ve yielded a mere 16 points this season, following a convincing win over Eastern Michigan last weekend.
Board of Trustees met with the football coach about getting the kid eligible. Let that sink in.

Dances With Gophers has a prediction out with Minnesota winning 27-13
The Gophers have never lost to a non-conference opponent on the road under P.J. Fleck. While I think the Gophers have their fair share of flaws and are vulnerable, I am very skeptical of this UNC defense. It will be a competitive game but the Tar Heels’ lack of defensive fortitude will allow Minnesota to curb stomp them via the run game in the second half.

NC barely beats Appalachian State in OT giving up 34 points and all the so called experts pick them over a team that didn’t give up one first down in the second half of its last game?? Taylor and Tyler are going to run wild in this game, defense will hold, advantage Gophers!
if you have high enough recruiting rankings the media won't punish you for winning ugly

Against App State UNC was facing a backup QB making his first start and his main WR was a 2* who had not been a player of note in prior seasons. App State was 6-7 in 2022

It's sort of like if Minnesota had gone to double OT with Eastern Michigan last weekend. If Minnesota were top 25 and went to double OT with EMU, we're not sniffing the polls again until there's at least 3 more consecutive wins.

Top Bottom