Maryland’s QB Tagovailoa says he was offered $1.5MM to transfer to SEC Team

The bottom line with this is if that if he is going to make this allegation then he should be forced to back ti up with names. Who offered it, what team were they affiliated with.....
So you're in favor of restricting his free speech because you'd like the outcome of him having to provide more details.

You might not like the "allegation" but in this country he has every right to state what he did.

Not trying to sound harsh, but what you suggest is a slippery slope. ;)

So you're in favor of restricting his free speech because you'd like the outcome of him having to provide more details.

You might not like the "allegation" but in this country he has every right to state what he did.

I mean I guess technically this is illegal in terms of them offering a pay for play deal, but let’s be honest, that’s exactly what’s happening everywhere all the time now. It’s only the dollar amount that has people up in arms and I’m1000% guessing the deal was contingent on “performance” metrics that they could argue increase his visibility and value to their brand

I mean I guess technically this is illegal in terms of them offering a pay for play deal, but let’s be honest, that’s exactly what’s happening everywhere all the time now. It’s only the dollar amount that has people up in arms and I’m1000% guessing the deal was contingent on “performance” metrics that they could argue increase his visibility and value to their brand
Oh, I agree that it's obviously pay for play. I'm just saying he has every right to not mention who it was, that's all. The poster I replied to said the kid should be forced to reveal who it was, which I disagree with.

Forced was probably too harsh a term but him saying it happened but not being willing to say what team/group made the offer is why this crap is allowed to go on unchecked.

If he was offered money to go play for another team that is 1000% against the rules and the team or group that did it needs to be called out publicly.

We all know it is going on and it will just keep on happening until players/teams take a stand and say enough is enough. If a player is in the portal they are fair game but if they are not in the portal no one should be reaching out to them and trying to entice them to leave their current team by offering a big payday if they do.

Not if your brother already has multi-millions and is sharing it with his family.
You think his brother will set him up for life?

Ask Aaron Rodgers family...

Forced was probably too harsh a term but him saying it happened but not being willing to say what team/group made the offer is why this crap is allowed to go on unchecked.

If he was offered money to go play for another team that is 1000% against the rules and the team or group that did it needs to be called out publicly.

We all know it is going on and it will just keep on happening until players/teams take a stand and say enough is enough. If a player is in the portal they are fair game but if they are not in the portal no one should be reaching out to them and trying to entice them to leave their current team by offering a big payday if they do.
Players and teams won't take a stand against this. They're the ones who benefit (and also suffer.)

The NCAA can't do much - it's going to likely take an act of congress to change it, and even then, it could still be found unconstitutional.

Players and teams won't take a stand against this. They're the ones who benefit (and also suffer.)

The NCAA can't do much - it's going to likely take an act of congress to change it, and even then, it could still be found unconstitutional.
I think the teams consistently getting poached will fight back eventually. Tualia could be open about it as well since he is at the end of his eligibility and wants to stay put.

but as long as players and teams are willing to stay silent the poaching will only get worse and worse.

You think his brother will set him up for life?

Ask Aaron Rodgers family...
I just think it's different when your brother has made 30 mil plus will likely make much more. If you had any trepidation about transferring hurting your draft stock (and future earnings), the fact that your family is wealthy makes the decision that much easier. He will make his money. It's just going to wait a year.

Is he projected as an NFL guy?

I don’t follow this stuff, just didn’t strike me as an NFL passer.

I think the teams consistently getting poached will fight back eventually. Tualia could be open about it as well since he is at the end of his eligibility and wants to stay put.

but as long as players and teams are willing to stay silent the poaching will only get worse and worse.
Would be pretty fun for him to try one of the sec schools but I imagine this was all a phone call with no way to prove it so there’s no way he would really be able to do anything as they’d just deny it

Yes, middle rounds at minimum.

Really? I checked out some draft boards just now and don’t see him but the reliability of those is probably exactly what I paid to read them.

Don’t we think if he was actually going to make $1.5 million he would be at the school?
No. Because SEC players have been grumbling that their schools have all become notorious welchers in the NIL-era.

He was almost certainly offered 1.5MM. He just knew he would never actually see it.

Agreed, throw out your integrity. Sell yourself out and go for the money. Stay on the sleezy side.
What would be sleazy about leaving?

I don't know anything that keeps Tagovailoa at his school any longer than 5 minutes from now than the school is committed to him for the same amount of time ... everyone is there for their mutual benefit.

I don't like how the system works now, but there's nothing about deciding to go to a different school that is necessarily sleazy.

The bottom line with this is if that if he is going to make this allegation then he should be forced to back ti up with names. Who offered it, what team were they affiliated with.....if there is any chance of stopping potential poaching like this there has to be more behind it than and unnamed SEC school.
I get where you are coming from, but I feel like it's asking a lot of the young man. The burden shouldn't be on players to sort this out, and he probably doesn't want to create a media circus while he's trying to prep for his season and get a degree. Just my own two cents, worth no more or less.

I'm not sure the teams, Maryland in this case, have any clue who offered him the money. How do you suggest they fight back when they don't know who to fight?

As for Taulia, what good would it be for him to open up about it? If the party on the other end denies it, Taulia can end up looking silly, like people could accuse him of just trying to drum up attention, or to try and increase his worth, etc. I see nothing good for him to name the party.

Also, if you were a player, would you want this to stop? I wouldn't. I'd love it if every once in a while someone tried to offer me lots of money, even if I chose not to accept it.

I mean, this happens in the real world all the time. As an engineer, I'll get contacted by recruiters all the time about them knowing of a job opportunity that I could be a good fit for. I'm not interested in leaving my job, but I definitely appreciate the fact that there are people out there scouting for me constantly.

Yeah, I'm a working employee and not a college student, but an opportunity is an opportunity nonetheless, and you should want as many as possible.

It might be detrimental to the schools, but beneficial to each individual player.

It might take some serious civil lawsuits to tamp this stuff down since the schools are supposed to be following NCAA guidelines as members.

It might take some serious civil lawsuits to tamp this stuff down since the schools are supposed to be following NCAA guidelines as members.
You'd never be able to prove a school was behind it. They'll just throw their hands up and say some collective/boosters did this without their knowledge.

Yes, I know that the boosters aren't going to offer a kid that the coach doesn't want, but good luck finding a transcript of that conversation that you could bring as evidence in court.

Well, let's hope we are not having this conversation about Athan in a year or two, because if he progresses to a level we all think he can then it's a possibility. It's no coincidence that Payton Thorne (MSU) goes into the transfer portal and two days later he's at Auburn. He was absolutely recruited and Athan has a lot more potential than Thorne at least in my opinion. Right now this is basically unrestricted free agency with essentially no rules or at least the enforcement mechanism has no teeth.

It isn't simply a matter of free speech if he is saying rules were violated (I am assuming it is a rule violation to tamper with another teams players that have not entered the transfer portal).

An investigation should be conducted and the culprits would be identified in order to enforce the rules and punish the offenders. And yes, a school can be punished if its boosters are out of control. It is a way to deter boosters from hurting the team they are trying to help. At a very minimum, the offending boosters should be banned from any team games/activities, etc...

As for Taulia, what good would it be for him to open up about it? If the party on the other end denies it, Taulia can end up looking silly, like people could accuse him of just trying to drum up attention, or to try and increase his worth, etc. I see nothing good for him to name the party.
Unless i missed something Tagovailoa is the one who brought it up in the first place unprompted. So really he could already be accused of making it up since he is unwilling to put a name to it.

The whole college football landscape is a mess right now as everyone sorts out the portal, legit NIL, pay for play disguised as NIL, Collectives and also poaching players. Of all these things the only ones that bug me are pay for play deals being called NIL and poaching (or attempted poaching) of players who are not in the portal.

It is probably a losing battle for teams and players to try and fight back against the poachers but if there is any hope of getting it under control people will have to be willing to be vocal about it and call out the people and places that are trying to do it.

As long as players and teams are unwilling to go to battle with those openly breaking the rules there is nothing to stop them from continuing to do it.

It isn't simply a matter of free speech if he is saying rules were violated (I am assuming it is a rule violation to tamper with another teams players that have not entered the transfer portal).

Ummm, but does any of that take away a person's ability to tweet what he did? Even if it involves a rules violation, that doesn't give anyone the right to make Taulia reveal who it was. I know you want it to, but that doesn't make it so. Even if this ended up in court and he was forced to take the witness stand, he could still plead the 5th and claim that it would incriminate himself because it could show he was potentially dealing with other teams while not in the portal. (I'm not at all implying this is the case, I'm just pointing out it would be a valid defense against naming the other party.)

An investigation should be conducted and the culprits would be identified in order to enforce the rules and punish the offenders.

You can start all the investigations you like, but if Taulia wants to remain silent, none of them are going anywhere.

And yes, a school can be punished if its boosters are out of control. It is a way to deter boosters from hurting the team they are trying to help.

Do you have any source to back up this claim? Or is it wishful thinking? How can you punish a school if you can't definitively link them to the action's of the booster? Assumptions, no matter how obvious, don't hold up in court.

At a very minimum, the offending boosters should be banned from any team games/activities, etc...
Who has the authority to ban a private citizen from entering a stadium? The team in question probably, but why would they want to make their boosters mad?

I'm not trying to tear down your post, but it just seems like you don't like the situation and are just hoping for things to be different, somehow.

Unless i missed something Tagovailoa is the one who brought it up in the first place unprompted. So really he could already be accused of making it up since he is unwilling to put a name to it.

True, but there's a difference between saying, "I have a hot girlfriend" and leaving it at that, versus naming the person and then have people find that person, ask them, and have said person say they don't even know you.

It is probably a losing battle for teams and players to try and fight back against the poachers but if there is any hope of getting it under control people will have to be willing to be vocal about it and call out the people and places that are trying to do it.
See post #48 where I question why the players would want this to stop. I can see fans of teams like ours wanting it to stop, but....

Didn't Tennesee lure somebody in with 7 million NIL? 1.5 is chump change for SEC boosters. P5 football with NIL is NFL lite. In the grand scheme of things I believe Athletics should be separate from university operations. The football and basketball money has perverted the integrity of the NCAA ( a long time ago ). I love Gopher sports as much as anyone but I can recognize the strange landscape of American college sports.

Didn't Tennesee lure somebody in with 7 million NIL? 1.5 is chump change for SEC boosters. P5 football with NIL is NFL lite. In the grand scheme of things I believe Athletics should be separate from university operations. The football and basketball money has perverted the integrity of the NCAA ( a long time ago ). I love Gopher sports as much as anyone but I can recognize the strange landscape of American college sports.

Reportedly 8M. From a Knoxville ice cream shop? 🫤 These deals and NILs are opaque, so who knows. Everyone involved from the collective principals, players and their agents have a vested interest in pumping up real or pie in the sky escalator numbers.

I‘m skeptical on the amounts and the proposals. Show me.

Top Bottom