Maryland’s QB Tagovailoa says he was offered $1.5MM to transfer to SEC Team

Hugh Frese is a leading suspect. I nominate Auburn.

Isn't it against the rules to tamper with active players on another team?

Funny, too, because the offer was perceived as having come from the football program. But third-party NIL arrangements aren’t funded or administered by the team or school, and there can be no pay-for-play understanding, right? Just amazing how quickly the NIL construct was corrupte and how un-policed the related player tampering is. 🤔

B, and S , and good for him. Buy some chips.

Alabama?

They have the cash, an undecided QB position after Bryce Young left, and he's family

Thing is, if it was Alabama I think he would have said Yes

Maybe Kentucky or Florida or someone like that who just said goodbye to a blue chip in the draft.

No one would have faulted him if he’d took it.. And if true he’s unwise for not taking it.
Agreed, throw out your integrity. Sell yourself out and go for the money. Stay on the sleezy side.

OK, he's a good QB - but is he a program-changing QB?

If he is allegedly worth $1.5-million, then what is a really good QB worth?

beating a dead horse - there has to be national NIL legislation - and there has to be an enforcement mechanism with real teeth. make the school and the coach liable for any wrongdoing on the part of a booster or collective. If School X - or a group associated with School X - gets caught making improper offers, then School X gets a post-season ban, loses scholarships, and the Head Coach is suspended for a year with no pay. if you want a real hammer - withhold TV money for a year. that might put the fear of God into some of these programs.

That's life changing money.
Not if your brother already has multi-millions and is sharing it with his family.

Could also be worried that changing systems would hurt his production, lowering his draft stock and future earnings.

The bottom line with this is if that if he is going to make this allegation then he should be forced to back ti up with names. Who offered it, what team were they affiliated with.....if there is any chance of stopping potential poaching like this there has to be more behind it than and unnamed SEC school.

Agreed, throw out your integrity. Sell yourself out and go for the money. Stay on the sleezy side.
I'm all about integrity but if someone offered me $1.5M at that age, I don't care what color the jersey is, I'm taking it. That's "retire at 50" money.

I despise NIL as much as anyone but this isn't a player problem...it's a system problem.

Not if your brother already has multi-millions and is sharing it with his family.

Could also be worried that changing systems would hurt his production, lowering his draft stock and future earnings.
Leeching off your family doesn't exactly establish self-worth. I agree with your other points, though.

I am confused. When everyone discussed this a couple of years ago the proponents said this was to compensate players for promotional opportunities, use of their image, or marketing deals. A group of boosters offering a player 1.5 million to simply to transfer sounds like something else altogether?

I believe him. I think he is a really strong QB and considerably better than a lot of SEC QBs.
I'm with you. Not sure why so many people would doubt his story. If the rumors are true. Bucky got well over 6 figures to leave MN for Oregon. You don't think that an all-conference QB who's started multiple years in the B1G and whose brother is an NFL starter is worth considerably more?

I am confused. When everyone discussed this a couple of years ago the proponents said this was to compensate players for promotional opportunities, use of their image, or marketing deals. A group of boosters offering a player 1.5 million to simply to transfer sounds like something else altogether?
All they have to say is "show up once to a public appearance" and it qualifies. There are few rules and less enforcement. The court ruling basically rendered the NCAA toothless on this, at least for now.

Top Bottom