Marcus tweet: Alabama radio reported Fulmer to Gophers

You bring up a very good point. Its completely unfair to stereotype all Tennesseans as racist. But you left out jug-blowing & 6-toed.

All kidding aside, I once drove from Decatur, AL up to the Jack Daniels distillery when I had a weekend to kill on a business trip. It was about this time of year, and the colors were spectacular. Didn't see anyone up on the roof playing the banjo, though.

Yep, Lynchburg. ****gasp**** That name sort of belies my point! :) But I've been there and did the Jack Daniels tour too.

And spectacular is right. The Great Smoky Mountains are absolutely spectacular, not only redolent in beauty but also in history. I used to take a metal detector up around Chickamauga and Shiloh (and yes, I realize I'm a total dork), and found tons of Civil War era shell-casings as well as a boot-knife, a bayonet blade, and an entire canteen amongst tons of other items. Great stuff....

Where the hell do we as Gopher fans have the right to act so damn haughty? The guy won a National Title and we're thumbing our nose at him?

He might not be my first choice, but he's 10 steps up from Brewster and probably won't be using this as a stepping stone job. I'm fine with this hire if it is true.

The appeal of Fulmer would largely depend on a few variables.

First, I would hope that the search firm and the U were able to find out if Fulmer's infamously poorly behaved teams (off the field) were merely a product of something to do with the Tenn football team or if it had something to do his inability to control his program. The Fulmer Cup is named after him for a reason, he had 20 players arrested in a little over a season. Could you imagine what our local press would say about a program like that? Remember the hints that Brew ran a dirty program because of our few transgressions? If the U fielded a team anywhere near as criminal as a lot of Fulmer's at Tenn, it would simpyl not work here.

Second, we'd have to know about the staff that Fulmer could create. I doubt it's possible but John Chavis (current LSU D coordinator) worked for Fulmer for 16 years as a defensive coach, and he would obviously be an enormous addition to the staff. IT could only be even more possible if Les Miles gets fired this season.

If we were told that Fulmer was coming to MN along with John Chavis, I would be for that.

I think all these posts about how backward Tennessee is are funny. Have you all forgotten that Minnesota elected a professional wrestler as governor?

The appeal of Fulmer would largely depend on a few variables.

First, I would hope that the search firm and the U were able to find out if Fulmer's infamously poorly behaved teams (off the field) were merely a product of something to do with the Tenn football team or if it had something to do his inability to control his program. The Fulmer Cup is named after him for a reason, he had 20 players arrested in a little over a season. Could you imagine what our local press would say about a program like that? Remember the hints that Brew ran a dirty program because of our few transgressions? If the U fielded a team anywhere near as criminal as a lot of Fulmer's at Tenn, it would simpyl not work here.

Second, we'd have to know about the staff that Fulmer could create. I doubt it's possible but John Chavis (current LSU D coordinator) worked for Fulmer for 16 years as a defensive coach, and he would obviously be an enormous addition to the staff. IT could only be even more possible if Les Miles gets fired this season.

If we were told that Fulmer was coming to MN along with John Chavis, I would be for that.

UT is a completely different atmosphere in terms of what is acceptably clean program. Their use of "hostesses" is a good example

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/09/sports/ncaafootball/09tennessee.html

If Fulmer were to come to MN, I don't think that would automatically mean that his questionable disciplinary and recruiting practices would as well. The administration should play a big part in setting the tone for those types of decisions and at UT, winning is the only thing that matters. Look at Bruce Pearl.

Hostesses

I am so looking forward to the day Minnesota has hostesses for its recruits -- as long as their fathers are there too.

Sigh.
There's too much smoke to this to discount Fulmer as being considered, maybe even already offered.
He does have a substantial track record of winning and should know how to set up the program for success. I have to question the fire in the belly aspect though.
That said, he's a better choice than trestman or linehan. He'd elevate recruiting nationally even further than we saw under Brewster.
Most of his staff is still coaching, I have to think he'd try to get the band back together in some respect. Trooper Taylor would be an interesting choice for O-coordinator, he's a legit nationally top recruiter, has been a part of Okie Lite's O and now is at Auburn, along with his years at Tenn. Those are some high powered offenses he's been around.
Very high energy guy, he might help augment any fire in the belly problems fulmer might deal with.
Fulmer's old dline coaches are both still coaching at clemson and arkansas, his other offensive staff is mostly intact at Duke with Cutcliffe, obviously his D-coordinator is at LSU.

Yep, Lynchburg. ****gasp**** That name sort of belies my point! :) But I've been there and did the Jack Daniels tour too.

And spectacular is right. The Great Smoky Mountains are absolutely spectacular, not only redolent in beauty but also in history. I used to take a metal detector up around Chickamauga and Shiloh (and yes, I realize I'm a total dork), and found tons of Civil War era shell-casings as well as a boot-knife, a bayonet blade, and an entire canteen amongst tons of other items. Great stuff....

I'm a Civil War dork, too, but I haven't made it to any of the battlefields in TN. High on my list though (my wife & daughter love it when I make them trudge thru Gettysburg or Antietam). I thought it was illegal to use a metal detector in the national parks, though. I suppose there's plenty of stuff to find in the fields around the parks.

Top Bottom