Marcus tweet: Alabama radio reported Fulmer to Gophers

Not my first choice, certainly, but as someone else pointed out: it's not Marc Trestman.

I would hope hiring Fulmer means a lot of other people said no, but this guy ticks a lot of the boxes Maturi has mentioned:

- National Championship.
- Winning Record.
- I guess, "Tubby-like" hire, in many ways.

To the discerning Gophers fan it makes almost no sense; but to Joel Maturi it makes almost too much sense - so it will probably happen.

I'm not going to get too worked up by the spoutings of a sports radio jock. Particularly one from Alabama. Remember that Alabama & Tennessee have a football rivalry that puts the Minnesota-(insert inbred neighbor state here) rivalries to shame. It could be that Finebaum is just trying to stir up the pot, or as an excuse to badmouth Fulmer when he doesn't get the job. This has about as much validity as the BS tweets from Joe Schmit or BariA-hole. Show me a link to a story on ESPN or CNNsi, and then I'll start getting worried.

Considering all the ratting out that $EC coaches do on one another, Phil isn't terribly well liked across state lines. Wasn't their a warrant out for his arrest so he'd testify in some sports agent trial a while back. Had something to do with skank at either Alabama or Auburn, I forget which.

What makes you think our (Ch. 5) report lacks validity? On very good authority, the search firm is digging around on Edsall.

Maybe the reporter misunderstood when he saw the Fulmer Cup had selected Minnesota as its team.

What makes you think our (Ch. 5) report lacks validity? On very good authority, the search firm is digging around on Edsall.

No offense or anything, but Schmit isn't exactly a go to source for Gopher news. All we ever hear is 'reliable sources' and then nothing.

If it had validity, it would be an actual story on the newscast or at least the website, instead of a 142 character max tweet.

I agree with FBT (and I posted this in another thread last night; Beat ya, MV!) that Edsall could very well be leaking the rumor himself in order to leverage a pay raise. It would be a curious strategy, though, considering that several "valid" websites (footballrumormill, for example) claim that Edsall is on the hot seat. Oldest trick in the book, though. Mason pulled it a couple of times himself, back in the last century when he was a hot commodity

Someone else had an interesting theory on a different thread. Maturi is floating different names to people on his staff, and then following the Twitter feed. Good way to figure out the leaker. I don't know if Joel is that Machiavellian, though.

True or false, the publicity surrounding this job can't hurt. The more names publicly mentioned as being under consideration will give a potential coach food for thought if he's serious about the job. If 'so-n-so' is interested in the job, then maybe I should be too, etc.

Because the search firm digs around on just about ALL coaches and the ones that leak (if they currently have a BCS job) are the ones that want more money or a contract extension. The ones that have serious interest...mum is the word.

The leak won't come from the U or the search firm. It will come from the agent or someone close to the coach. If it does come from the U of the firm, its intentionally false.

A true report for a real souce can still be completely bogus.

please let Fulmer rumor have more "weight" to it than edsall rumor.

phil_fulmer.jpg

Fulmer = Big Time

Got my vote. He wasn't on my list.

That would be an A list hire.

Because he doesn't like it.

I just can't believe we'd hire someone this quickly. That would tell me that they did about as thorough an interview process as John McCain did in 2008.

That's funny, I don't care who you are. And sadly true most likely.

Because the search firm digs around on just about ALL coaches and the ones that leak (if they currently have a BCS job) are the ones that want more money or a contract extension. The ones that have serious interest...mum is the word.

Like Tim Brewster and Tubby Smith

Like Fulmer, great coach, great recruiter and big time name recognition.

Please Joel, Not Fulmer

As I stated yesterday on another thread, the view from down here in Vol land is that Phil Fulmer is done. Burned out. No longer capable of fielding a competitive team. If you are thinking that he could still recruit SEC country, forget it. Take a look at his last few classes. High ratings, no performance. The Phil Fulmer of 2010 is nothing like the pictures that people keep posting which were all taken sometime in the 90's. You would not be getting that Phil Fulmer. You might as well go get Lou Holz or Howard Schnellenberger - both of them have won national championships too and they both have better, more lively personalities.

I've not done a comprehensive study of the situation, but it seems that once Urban Meyer and Bobby Petrino and Les Miles arrived and Saban and the old ball coach came back to the SEC, Phil Fulmer became irrelevant. The administration at UT would not have pushed out the guy they had spent so much to build up if they thought there was any future. They knew he was done.

As I stated yesterday on another thread, the view from down here in Vol land is that Phil Fulmer is done. Burned out. No longer capable of fielding a competitive team. If you are thinking that he could still recruit SEC country, forget it. Take a look at his last few classes. High ratings, no performance. The Phil Fulmer of 2010 is nothing like the pictures that people keep posting which were all taken sometime in the 90's. You would not be getting that Phil Fulmer. You might as well go get Lou Holz or Howard Schnellenberger - both of them have won national championships too and they both have better, more lively personalities.

I've not done a comprehensive study of the situation, but it seems that once Urban Meyer and Bobby Petrino and Les Miles arrived and Saban and the old ball coach came back to the SEC, Phil Fulmer became irrelevant. The administration at UT would not have pushed out the guy they had spent so much to build up if they thought there was any future. They knew he was done.

Your post could have just as well have been made by a UK fan in March 2007. While I'm sure he indeed was burned out at the end, people do get the fire back after a time away. It happens all the time. You clearly have an up-close view of the situation, but in this case that may be the problem. I think Glen Mason had burned out to a point as well. I still think he would have made a good hire for someone after a year or two away, if he had been so inclined.

It's possible that Fulmer is indeed done. It's also possible he's full of spit and vinegar and wants to show the world he's still got it. If it's the latter, I'll be glad to have him.That's something Maturi and Bruinicks have to determine. That's the part that's a bit scary.

just wait a gosh dern minute pardner

so you're saying photos like this are not current????

peyton-manning-and-phillip-fulmer1.jpg

Fullmer is more hated in Tennessee than Lane Kiffin. That should tell you something.

Fullmer is more hated in Tennessee than Lane Kiffin. That should tell you something.
Other things that are unpopular in Tennessee: Brown v. Board of Education.

What????? I can't believe some of you people are dissing the state of Tennessee. I used to live up in the North Georgia mountains right near the Tennessee- South Carolina lines, and I LOVE the state of Tennessee. It is truly beautiful and lush with about 50 million different shades of green, and the people are great there too. Memphis, Chattanooga, Nashville, Knoxville, all are awesome towns that I thoroughly enjoyed in my time down there.

I realize that people are just joking around, but enough with the stereotyping already. Tennessee is *not* a state full of ignorant and inbred racists, but of course you already know that.

I consider this more of a travel advisory.

The trip I took to Knoxville with some friends for the Tennessee v. Notre Dame game in 2004 was one of the best times I've ever had in my life. We saw Pat Green in concert the Friday before the game, tailgated in a parking ramp, ate amazing chili, drank a lot of sour mash, it was a great trip. Last year while walking in to Kinnick decked out in maroon and gold a wise sage of Hawkeye wisdom stated to me "welcome to the mecca." Word choice aside, Neyland Stadium is much closer to mecca than Kinnick is.

The idea that Fulmer was ousted for lackluster performance one year removed from a 6-2 SEC, 10-4 overall record and is now disliked throughout the Vol nation is the catalyst for my good natured ribbing of our friendly brethren to the South-East.

Could be . . .

Your post could have just as well have been made by a UK fan in March 2007. While I'm sure he indeed was burned out at the end, people do get the fire back after a time away. It happens all the time. You clearly have an up-close view of the situation, but in this case that may be the problem. I think Glen Mason had burned out to a point as well. I still think he would have made a good hire for someone after a year or two away, if he had been so inclined.

It's possible that Fulmer is indeed done. It's also possible he's full of spit and vinegar and wants to show the world he's still got it. If it's the latter, I'll be glad to have him.That's something Maturi and Bruinicks have to determine. That's the part that's a bit scary.

You could be right about his recharging his batteries. But even if he has a renewed energy level I question whether the game hasn't passed him by. I know that there are some older coaches like JoePa still being effective, but even JoePa seems more connected to today's players and the game than Fulmer is. I must confess that I have not been watching him on CBS, but I spent a number of years where if it was the fall, Phillip Fulmer was on every radio and TV station in the state. As time wore on, he seemed to wear down.

Can he still recruit? Can he attract and keep a staff together? Can he charm the boosters without a Peyton Manning around to trot out? All I know is that he couldn't do it here where they loved him and where he was in his native environs and where there were unlimited assets - literally.

I am not a Vols fan so I am neither upset with him for letting the program deteriorate or protective of him because of the positive things that he did for the program. I am just a bemused observer who was surprised to see the Phil Fulmer mystique evaporate so quickly. My opinion is that he would be a bad hire.

As far as Tubby goes, I do not recall any chatter down here about Tubby being burned out, just that he was pissed about having people constantly critical of his recruiting and the suggestion that he was not good enough as a coach.

What????? I can't believe some of you people are dissing the state of Tennessee. I used to live up in the North Georgia mountains right near the Tennessee- South Carolina lines, and I LOVE the state of Tennessee. It is truly beautiful and lush with about 50 million different shades of green, and the people are great there too. Memphis, Chattanooga, Nashville, Knoxville, all are awesome towns that I thoroughly enjoyed in my time down there.

I realize that people are just joking around, but enough with the stereotyping already. Tennessee is *not* a state full of ignorant and inbred racists, but of course you already know that.

You bring up a very good point. Its completely unfair to stereotype all Tennesseans as racist. But you left out jug-blowing & 6-toed.

All kidding aside, I once drove from Decatur, AL up to the Jack Daniels distillery when I had a weekend to kill on a business trip. It was about this time of year, and the colors were spectacular. Didn't see anyone up on the roof playing the banjo, though.

Top Bottom