Marcus Fuller blog: If Gophers started a true freshman QB it would be risky

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I feel like all of this "Shortell has a chance to start" talk began when he himself said he wanted to play this year and challenge Gray for the spot. It seems that the media interpreted this as "Shortell has chance to start this fall" and the snowball has gotten bigger from there.

Yeah, basically Shortell talked a big game saying he planned to come in and challenge for the starting spot and immediately the hype began on this kid. He could be great, who knows, but based on the resources we have in front of us, I don't see how there's any way someone could think he has a shot at actually beating Gray out of the starting QB spot.

This thread is kind of like watching a car crash...it's impossible to stop, yet inevitable. Anyone that thinks Shortell will even play one down in 2011 is driving a car into a wall. Good luck...

a young high school kid probably has no reason to think that he can't come in and start as a true freshman. Of course, when he gets here, he will have to deal with the speed of the game, learning the playbook, getting on the same page as the receivers, getting to know his way around campus, starting classes all the while he is sharing the precious few "reps" to go around to all the qb's.

Maybe a true freshman will have it so all together when he arrives...OR...maybe he will quickly realize that it's ok to be a red-shirt, learn all the things that he will have to learn, and have five years to complete four years of elegibility.

I'm sure the coaches will take a good look at him when he arrives. However, being game read reporting from high school is not something that usually happens. Once in a great while...but not very often.

Top Bottom