Many are predicting we could see 3,000-4,000 transfers this year. That's 1 out of every 3 players on your roster!

You sure about this. Minnesota has benefitted more than anyone else with players getting extra covid years.
Am I sure in two years there won’t be anymore players with 6-7 years of eligibility due to Covid? Yes.

Yes no other generation ever thought that before!

(I mean sure that is demonstrably false but hey old guys blaming the youth is beyond cliche)

Really? You don't think that with the social media and media of today that it doesn't affect kids differently than 30 years ago?

I am not saying it's right or wrong. I am simply stating that society ( social media and what it does) has changed immensely in the last 30 years. And with it, the mentality of people that it influences and are influenced by it is crazy.

You read about how great you are in high school. Your friends post things about you all over online. You read all of the online quotes and press. Then, when you don't get to play as much as you think you deserve, you go online and look at what other people are saying and add your own comments. Then, it's everyone else's fault but yours, so you are transferring to get your fair shot.

That is the reality of the world we live in today.

Remember: an undergraduate player is only allowed one transfer prior to having earned a college degree. Once the special “covid” free extra year has disappeared, there will be very few 6 or potentially even seven year college players.

Welcome to the era where college athletes are placed on a bit more of equal opportunity with the 3 to 10 million dollar head coaches, assistant coaches and the sec & bt network type colleges & universities earning ALL that money from their conference negotiated tv contracts.

Remember: the players ARE the game that is sold to cable, streaming and tv networks. In essence, the coaches, universities, media outlets that monetize the advertising money, the gambling industry and the gambling hungry fans who demand that every game must be televised so that every form of gambling is available in every home, bar and location all the time.

Perhaps a few benefits like a one time undergraduate free transfer portal and a NIL system made available to the REAL driving force of college: the players will become a very healthy and good thing in the next decade. This is evolving. It will most likely settle into a decent system.

We fans can just get used to the fact that that college athletes have rights and a right to share in the wealth that being the most visible force in an industry that is highly valued by fans, universities, advertisers, high profile coaches, multi-media providers, gambling outlets, gamblers and sports agents coaches, and, Gopherhole folks even you and I, gives these college football players and stars and recruits and depth position players in the year 2022 and beyond.

This is America and the American dream in action! The players are the game. This is how it is.

God help me, but I do love college football!!!
I get the argument and agree that what's fair for the coaches should also be fair for the players in terms coming and going.

But as far a "the players are the game", I disagree with the sentiment. For many, if not most fans, were it not for the alma mater/local element, they'd rather spend their time an money watching the best players compete in the NFL as opposed to still developing kids from some other state.

How much interest and money do you see in semi-pro football? So it's a two way street as far as not having a game without the players, but also having no fan interest or promotion without the universities and and the alumni who care most about the places and the colors on the front of the uniforms.

This is going to end up like Club Volleyball or AAU, coaches scrambling to keep players and a third of roster turnover every year. This will mitigate the importance of HS recruiting and poaching will be an all time high. The staff's that know how to adapt to play this new recruiting game will be the one's that thrive.

Go Gophers!!
If 1 and 3 players transfer on every team. My passion for the Gophers and college football will be over.

I get the argument and agree that what's fair for the coaches should also be fair for the players in terms coming and going.

But as far a "the players are the game", I disagree with the sentiment. For many, if not most fans, were it not for the alma mater/local element, they'd rather spend their time an money watching the best players compete in the NFL as opposed to still developing kids from some other state.

How much interest and money do you see in semi-pro football? So it's a two way street as far as not having a game without the players, but also having no fan interest or promotion without the universities and and the alumni who care most about the places and the colors on the front of the uniforms.

With the college players gaining more local public exposure through nil events, the college players will be more readily recognizable around the university campus, the city is located in, and will allow the recruits, quarterbacks, running backs, receivers, star defenders, linemen,
hoops players, volleyball players, women’s hoops players, softball players, baseball players and men and women hockey players much more exposure to the local and state fans.

So many of these “kids” have remarkable personalities and communications skills that need to be utilized and developed while they are in college.

Why should the head coach and Athletic Director be constantly over exposed and paraded around as the “ face” and “personality” of the University of Minnesota sports teams. Utilize. these talented, energetic, very bright young people be the faces of the various teams they are important members of. let them sharpen and hone their talents and skills to help sell their love for their U of M and their presence in the twin cities?

It is an important part of their development as students at the U of M.

I sometimes don’t think seeing a multimillionaire head coach being the only really visible person on the football team is the ONLY way to go. The players who make or don’t make the plays that win or lose the games equal a very large percentage of the reasons I have spent about 65 years of my life listening to, attending in person and watching Gopher football.

I’m not saying you are wrong. And, perhaps I am the only person who does see the players as such an important part of U of M football.
But watching the college students who play the games is what has always been my chief reason for supporting this team.

Last edited:

If you're playing D1 College FB, especially at a P5 conference, by definition you were a star in HS.

to go from being the "it" guy in HS to 3rd string or playing special teams is a big adjustment.

some players handle it better than others.

Anyone in favor of what this transfer nonsense has done to college football is a moron. Thanks for doing your part to destroy a great sport.
The presidents have absolutely messed this up by allowing this. The supposed primary purpose is to get these kids an education and a degree. So many of these transfers will never achieve that. They need to go back to 1 year sit out on a transfer.

Last edited:

the roster churn is going to hit mid-level programs the hardest.

the helmet schools might lose a few good players, but mostly will lose guys who are buried on the depth chart and are moving "down" in search of playing time.

and the lower-level programs will lose kids who think they have a shot to move up and showcase themselves for a shot at the pros.

but a program in the middle will lose kids in both directions.

throw NIL into the mix and it's going to make roster management very difficult.
The portal tends to match players to their proper level. It will also correct recruiting errors.

The problem is society today. If you don't get what you want and "think" you deserve, you blame someone or something, then go somewhere else.

Some of these kids are so brainwashed and alpha it is terrible. Tons of Uncle Rico's are being created every year.
Elite talents want to play on high profile championship teams to maximize draft potential. But the vast majority of college athletes want to play and compete on game day. The portal is a great vehicle for guys to find playing time by moving down or sideways to teams needing their skills.

The free transfer is great for players and, thus, for the game.

Wonder the % of players entering the portal are

Disgruntled
Looking for NIL $
Coach leaving the program
Playing time
Scholastic
Recruited by another school
You don't want disgruntled players taking up scholarships.

Guys not getting playing time are unlikely to find NIL money.

Playing time is a legitimate reason.

If other schools are interested it's an opportunity.

It already has begun the shift to being minor league football. It's just going to keep heading that way. The charm is quickly eroding.
What is charming about having players hang around five years and not play much or ever? More interesting to exchange them for new guys with potential to contribute.

With the college players gaining more local public exposure through nil events, the college players will be more readily recognizable around the university campus, the city is located in, and will allow the recruits, quarterbacks, running backs, receivers, star defenders, linemen,
hoops players, volleyball players, women’s hoops players, softball players, baseball players and men and women hockey players much more exposure to the local and state fans.

So many of these “kids” have remarkable personalities and communications skills that need to be utilized and developed while they are in college.

Why should the head coach and Athletic Director be constantly over exposed and paraded around as the “ face” and “personality” of the University of Minnesota sports teams. Utilize. these talented, energetic, very bright young people be the faces of the various teams they are important members of. let them sharpen and hone their talents and skills to help sell their love for their U of M and their presence in the twin cities?

It is an important part of their development as students at the U of M.

I sometimes don’t think seeing a multimillionaire head coach being the only really visible person on the football team is the ONLY way to go. The players who make or don’t make the plays that win or lose the games equal a very large percentage of the reasons I have spent about 65 years of my life listening to, attending in person and watching Gopher football.

I’m not saying you are wrong. And, perhaps I am the only person who does see the players as such an important part of U of M football.
But watching the college students who play the games is what has always been my chief reason for supporting this team.
This strikes me as highly aspirational.

How do all the non-athletes in college utilize their personalities and communications skill? The head coach has years, often decades of putting in time at lower positions to get to that point and have (hopefully) proven they can handle the enormous responsibilities involved in overseeing all aspects of a program.

And exposure goes both ways. Do you also want your student athletes getting so much of the criticism that a head coach as face of the program takes when things are going poorly? Also how much attention and money do you really believe there is to go around? The baseball and softball players will never get the spotlight that the head football coach and star football players get for obvious reasons that relate to the value the paying audience puts on the entertainment value they get out of watching. If I'm not a hockey fan, why would I have any greater interest in promoting hockey players over the president of the French Club, or the Forensics Team?

I don't think anyone's saying they want or need to see any more of Mark Coyle than neccessary. But the head coaches are on another level than the players for good reason.

How do all the non-athletes in college utilize their personalities and communications skill? The head coach has years, often decades of putting in time at lower positions to get to that point and have (hopefully) proven they can handle the enormous responsibilities involved in overseeing all aspects of a program.

And exposure goes both ways. Do you also want your student athletes getting so much of the criticism that a head coach as face of the program takes when things are going poorly? Also how much attention and money do you really believe there is to go around? The baseball and softball players will never get the spotlight that the head football coach and star football players get for obvious reasons that relate to the value the paying audience puts on the entertainment value they get out of watching. If I'm not a hockey fan, why would I have any greater interest in promoting hockey players over the president of the French Club, or the Forensics Team?

I don't think anyone's saying they want or need to see any more of Mark Coyle than neccessary. But the head coaches are on another level than the players for good reason.

I don’t think that there will be any nil agreements with players to coach or run press conferences.

However, many coaches may rise or fall depending on how much nil activity is made available to key players in the major revenue sports to keep key players at the U of M, or if that is not possible, to attract key players to transfer to the U of M to replace those who find better nil deals at other university programs.

Nil is here to stay. Coaches come and go based upon how well they are doing within the conference and especially how they do against border rivals.

Unless a coach can provide some highly aspirational and beneficial features in the nil program for key players and recruits to keep and attract better players than at least half of the Big Ten conference teams and especially the border rivals of Iowa and Wisconsin, that coach had best find a way utilizing all his vastly superior experience to combat the aspirational and beneficial student athletes nil programs at Iowa and Wisconsin and Nebraska and Illinois , et al. In the end it is with the best players help to improve the record of the head coaches that head coaches keep their incredible jobs and salaries. The players are the heart and soul of nfl teams, Sec teams, Big Ten teams. Coaches get all the money whether they are being extended for winning or bought out for losing. I maintain, the players are the game.

Aspirational, beneficial and well supported nil programs for U of M student athletes who are the face, heart and soul and will build the future of college athletics at the U.

Last edited:

Non-athletes in college often times get a great deal of experience developing communications skills, service abilities and make connections with others by working part-time jobs. College athletes really have no ability to enter part-time job markets because of the demands put on them and their time by coaches, conditioners, tutors and year-round classes.

They don’t have a chance to make work place connections or showcase their communications skills, customer service abilities that non-athlete students have during their college experience. This nil possibility allows college athletes to provide other types of services to non-team related organizations, make their personalities and communications skills apparent to important people totally outside the collection of people who follow the sport they play for their coaches and for the benefit of the finances of the U of M in the case of revenue sport athletes.

Last edited:

Am I sure in two years there won’t be anymore players with 6-7 years of eligibility due to Covid? Yes.
There won't be many 6-7 year eligibility players in two years, but there could still be a few malingerers. Players who entered in the 2020 season get 4 years + 1 Covid year = 5 years. If red-shirted, they get a 6th year. That would take such a player out to the 2025 season. A medical waiver could extend that too the 2026 season, which is the absolute "wall" for 6-7 year players.

But now that the scholarship limit has been ratcheted back down to a hard 85 count, 6-7 year eligibility will be very rare in two years except for an exceptional player who for some reason has elected not to turn pro. Limited roster spots are too valuable to "waste" on a 6-7 player (reducing high-value HS recruit and transfer portal opportunities).

So, could there be 6-7 year eligibility players on the field three (or four) seasons from now? Theoretically, yes. Will there be? Probably only a very few, as the opportunity to improve one's roster through the transfer portal and HS recruiting, versus the 85 scholarship limit, will ease out most such players--at least for teams looking to build for the future.

We're not far away from the first FBS school that doesn't recruit high school players.

Like Mankato St hockey?
Is that what they do? I hadn't followed it. But I do think some school in the near future will mostly or entirely forgo high school recruiting in favor of using NIL and year-round tampering to build their roster from somewhat older players. The very top programs will still mostly use high school because otherwise it's picking from guys the best teams or NFL didn't want. Wild times a-coming.

Is that what they do? I hadn't followed it. But I do think some school in the near future will mostly or entirely forgo high school recruiting in favor of using NIL and year-round tampering to build their roster from somewhat older players. The very top programs will still mostly use high school because otherwise it's picking from guys the best teams or NFL didn't want. Wild times a-coming.
Mankato takes almost all guys that have played 2 years of junior hockey. Lots of 20-21 year old freshman. Granted hockey is different with the junior route which doesn't exist in football.

A few years ago there was a game where the Gophers oldest player would have been the youngest (or maybe 2nd youngest) player on Mankato's roster.

Not many people work 80 hour weeks but sure.

Yeah, I don’t believe you about 80 hour work weeks for 30 years. There is work and then there’s “work” sitting in the office or socializing or watching tape pending the coach stopping in.

Sixty hour weeks are more believable and even busier weeks and months during the season and draft are believable with media obligations etc but like I said that’s part and parcel of a professional life. I don’t count commuting, traveling, dinner, or social hours. Some might.

Getting back to NFL versus college I’d guess college coaches are working harder evaluating way more tape, recruiting, phone calls, media, public service appearances, counseling players.

Yeah, I don’t believe you about 80 hour work weeks for 30 years. There is work and then there’s “work” sitting in the office or socializing or watching tape pending the coach stopping in.

Sixty hour weeks are more believable and even busier weeks and months during the season and draft are believable with media obligations etc but like I said that’s part and parcel of a professional life. I don’t count commuting, traveling, dinner, or social hours. Some might.

Getting back to NFL versus college I’d guess college coaches are working harder evaluating way more tape, recruiting, phone calls, media, public service appearances, counseling players.
You don’t have to believe me. I’m sorry that you don’t agree? I don’t really know why you’re upset about it.

You don’t have to believe me. I’m sorry that you don’t agree? I don’t really know why you’re upset about it.
Not upset at all. I was struck by the long hours talk so I responded, on a ten second whim.. World’s smallest violin for professional coaches and players. I just don’t understand talking about it even if true. Maybe my impression of it being a humble brag was way off. Apologies. Didn’t mean to derail the thread.

Not upset at all. I was struck by the long hours talk so I responded, on a ten second whim.. World’s smallest violin for professional coaches and players. I just don’t understand talking about it even if true. Maybe my impression of it being a humble brag was way off. Apologies. Didn’t mean to derail the thread.
I don’t think anyone complained. I shared my perspective of knowing a 30 year nfl coach who rose near the top of the profession.

He also coached a dozen years between service academies, big ten and pac 12 schools. But that was much longer ago and not a fair comparison to the profession now

Good for the players(short term), bad for the fans.

Eventually the empty seats and lack of fan interest will hurt the players too. Or the future generations of players I guess.

Yes no other generation ever thought that before!

(I mean sure that is demonstrably false but hey old guys blaming the youth is beyond cliche)

Younger generations thinking they have nothing to learn from older generations is beyond cliche and rests firmly in stupidity.

Mankato takes almost all guys that have played 2 years of junior hockey. Lots of 20-21 year old freshman. Granted hockey is different with the junior route which doesn't exist in football.

A few years ago there was a game where the Gophers oldest player would have been the youngest (or maybe 2nd youngest) player on Mankato's roster.
That's not uncommon in hockey, and it's been that way for years. UND used to have rosters full of older Canadian guys back in the day as well.

Doug Woog had that archaic philosophy of only recruiting MN high school kids, which is why he never won a natty, and as such, was a failure.

Last edited:

The presidents have absolutely messed this up by allowing this. The supposed primary purpose is to get these kids an education and a degree. So many of these transfers will never achieve that. They need to go back to 1 year sit out on a transfer.
This isn't a matter of "allowing it." The O'Bannon and Alston court rulings didn't give the presidents a choice. The courts found in favor of the players, regardless of what you or anyone else thinks.

It's not much different than when the MLB reserve clause was challenged and shot down in the 1970's, leading to baseball free agency.

Wonder the % of players entering the portal are

Disgruntled
Looking for NIL $
Coach leaving the program
Playing time
Scholastic
Recruited by another school
My nephew wants to transfer to the school his old girlfriend is at.

Top Bottom