Many are predicting we could see 3,000-4,000 transfers this year. That's 1 out of every 3 players on your roster!

BleedGopher

Reaction score
This is going to end up like Club Volleyball or AAU, coaches scrambling to keep players and a third of roster turnover every year. This will mitigate the importance of HS recruiting and poaching will be an all time high. The staff's that know how to adapt to play this new recruiting game will be the one's that thrive.

Go Gophers!!

I think I read something like only 41% of players who entered the portal found a new school

I suppose that theoretically makes more space for incoming recruits. COVID 5th-year seniors aside, I wonder if rosters are getting younger?

Gross. Not good for a developmental program, or the players imo.
It really puts a premium on getting guys who can play as freshman (redshirt and otherwise) and sophomores who can contribute early in their careers.

Probably a mixed bag in terms of direction. Some highly-ranked guys at helmet schools not getting playing time may move down. Some guys at FCS and lower-tier programs moving up after getting a couple of years experience.

Some coaches are cut out for college football, but it seems it's way more work than being an NFL coach. Now throw in recruiting and evaluating talent on other school's rosters into the mix?...yikes. No wonder PJ got a facelift.

the roster churn is going to hit mid-level programs the hardest.

the helmet schools might lose a few good players, but mostly will lose guys who are buried on the depth chart and are moving "down" in search of playing time.

and the lower-level programs will lose kids who think they have a shot to move up and showcase themselves for a shot at the pros.

but a program in the middle will lose kids in both directions.

throw NIL into the mix and it's going to make roster management very difficult.

This is going to end up like Club Volleyball or AAU, coaches scrambling to keep players and a third of roster turnover every year. This will mitigate the importance of HS recruiting and poaching will be an all time high. The staff's that know how to adapt to play this new recruiting game will be the one's that thrive.

Go Gophers!!
I’ll believe it when I see it

Some coaches are cut out for college football, but it seems it's way more work than being an NFL coach. Now throw in recruiting and evaluating talent on other school's rosters into the mix?...yikes. No wonder PJ got a facelift.
I hear what you are saying but I bet NFL head coaches put in as many or more hours than college coaches?
August to January they are grinding ..20 games to 12 regular season. Playoffs 1-4 games. Preparing for the draft, analyzing offense/defense for all those games at years end. Evaluating your roster...who do we wanna keep? Free agency. Then the actual draft and trying to sign undrafted free agents. Then rookie camp. Then OTA's for a month. Maybe some of June and some of July off.

I hear what you are saying but I bet NFL head coaches put in as many or more hours than college coaches?
August to January they are grinding ..20 games to 12 regular season. Playoffs 1-4 games. Preparing for the draft, analyzing offense/defense for all those games at years end. Evaluating your roster...who do we wanna keep? Free agency. Then the actual draft and trying to sign undrafted free agents. Then rookie camp. Then OTA's for a month. Maybe some of June and some of July off.
My perspective on this comes from my uncle who spent ~30 years in the NFL and a handful as an offensive coordinator.

There isn’t an off-season. I visited him in July and he was at the facility 60+ hours that week with no players there. It’s a battle to be the guy who “works” the most. You hear stories of some guy working 80, so you have to work more to keep pace and show your worth. He had no kids and his wife worked a similarly and at times more ridiculous schedule so it worked for them. But it certainly wasn’t easy or glamorous at times.

He’d usually take 2 weeks off post-draft and mini camp stuff before the prep for the season began. It was a wild career.

The problem is society today. If you don't get what you want and "think" you deserve, you blame someone or something, then go somewhere else.

Some of these kids are so brainwashed and alpha it is terrible. Tons of Uncle Rico's are being created every year.

The problem is society today. If you don't get what you want and "think" you deserve, you blame someone or something, then go somewhere else.

Some of these kids are so brainwashed and alpha it is terrible. Tons of Uncle Rico's are being created every year.
I also think it's a problem with our system. We have this quasi-professional system and so much money is generated by NCAA that this stuff seeps in because we can't just pass rules like a professional league. So the song and dance we've created is somehow worse.

If it was true amateur athletics, the system would better. If it were true professional athletics, the system would be better. But here we are. . .

Anyone in favor of what this transfer nonsense has done to college football is a moron. Thanks for doing your part to destroy a great sport.

They will figure out a way to ruin college football I’m confident in that.

I think the current portal numbers are an overreaction to the freedom being allowed. Kids have always transferred. It’s heightened now because it’s so public. These kids will see teammates fail to land somewhere and think twice about following in those footsteps the next year or whenever they consider it.

well, the "transfer nonsense" came out of a fairly valid argument by the players.

Coaches can jump from job to job, while players who wanted to transfer had to sit out a year. what's fair for one should be fair for the other.

what the NCAA could have done is say "if your coach leaves, you can transfer and be eligible immediately." that might have worked.

of course, the other big mistake by the colleges was not wanting to give the players a bigger cut of revenue. by fighting that, the colleges helped create the NIL situation, which rapidly and predictably got out of hand.

Yes no other generation ever thought that before!

(I mean sure that is demonstrably false but hey old guys blaming the youth is beyond cliche)

Remember: an undergraduate player is only allowed one transfer prior to having earned a college degree. Once the special “covid” free extra year has disappeared, there will be very few 6 or potentially even seven year college players.

Welcome to the era where college athletes are placed on a bit more of equal opportunity with the 3 to 10 million dollar head coaches, assistant coaches and the sec & bt network type colleges & universities earning ALL that money from their conference negotiated tv contracts.

Remember: the players ARE the game that is sold to cable, streaming and tv networks. In essence, the coaches, universities, media outlets that monetize the advertising money, the gambling industry and the gambling hungry fans who demand that every game must be televised so that every form of gambling is available in every home, bar and location all the time.

Perhaps a few benefits like a one time undergraduate free transfer portal and a NIL system made available to the REAL driving force of college: the players will become a very healthy and good thing in the next decade. This is evolving. It will most likely settle into a decent system.

We fans can just get used to the fact that that college athletes have rights and a right to share in the wealth that being the most visible force in an industry that is highly valued by fans, universities, advertisers, high profile coaches, multi-media providers, gambling outlets, gamblers and sports agents coaches, and, Gopherhole folks even you and I, gives these college football players and stars and recruits and depth position players in the year 2022 and beyond.

This is America and the American dream in action! The players are the game. This is how it is.

God help me, but I do love college football!!!

Wonder the % of players entering the portal are

Disgruntled
Looking for NIL $
Coach leaving the program
Playing time
Scholastic
Recruited by another school

Gross. But I think this calms down in a couple years. No more Covid players in year 6-7, analytics on the small number who really benefit, etc.

It already has begun the shift to being minor league football. It's just going to keep heading that way. The charm is quickly eroding.
Collegebfootball always has been the farm team system that provides the nfl billionaire owners the fact, arms and legs of pro football ever since the nfl was born, sold and won the lottery.

My perspective on this comes from my uncle who spent ~30 years in the NFL and a handful as an offensive coordinator.

There isn’t an off-season. I visited him in July and he was at the facility 60+ hours that week with no players there. It’s a battle to be the guy who “works” the most. You hear stories of some guy working 80, so you have to work more to keep pace and show your worth. He had no kids and his wife worked a similarly and at times more ridiculous schedule so it worked for them. But it certainly wasn’t easy or glamorous at times.

He’d usually take 2 weeks off post-draft and mini camp stuff before the prep for the season began. It was a wild career.

So, like any professional career.

of course, the other big mistake by the colleges was not wanting to give the players a bigger cut of revenue. by fighting that, the colleges helped create the NIL situation, which rapidly and predictably got out of hand.

There are probably other, more altruistic uses for the money that support the educational mission of the colleges but ridiculous AD staff salaries, facilities were the choice made. Making athletes employees IMHO would create more problems, culminating in changes to a professional league model and a winnowing of the field, so to speak.

I still think the extra year from Covid is still having some effect on this. We don't know for sure, but Ortiz leaving, for instance, might have been caused by Nubin coming back.

Gross. But I think this calms down in a couple years. No more Covid players in year 6-7, analytics on the small number who really benefit, etc.

You sure about this. Minnesota has benefitted more than anyone else with players getting extra covid years.

Top Bottom