Louisiana vs. Minnesota

It’s still the University of Louisiana at Lafayette, but like so many other city designated universities across the US, they decided to brand athletically as Louisiana about 25 years ago. It’s taken a hell of a fight, mainly against LSU, but Louisiana finally won the war. Yes, ULM has publicly announced their acknowledgment of the change. Louisiana is without question the flagship university of the “UL System” in Louisiana. Only Carnegie R1 University and literally larger in every measurable category amongst other UL System institutions.

In the Spring of 1984 the State voted to approve the official name change from University of Southwestern Louisiana to University of Louisiana…it passed with flying colors. After only a full semester under this new name, the State enforced the “LSU Rule” to protect their status of the Flagship university of Louisiana and the LSU/UL System.

In 1999 they approved the the name change with city designation and included ULM (at that time Northeastern Louisiana), to cause further roadblocks…here we are today. LOUISIANA!

It’s a crazy

The link below is informative, but a couple decades old.

That was very interesting read, thank you for sharing the article!

Well, you'll need to visit the behemoth Surly Brewing for sure. Just east of the Gophs stadium. HeadFlyer, BauHaus, Inbound, Fulton, Modest and Insight are all very good breweries and minutes from DT Mpls. Also, this is the birthplace of the Juicy Lucy burger, so you might want to hit Matt's Bar or the original 5-8 Club if you are into burgers.
I'd vote for The Nook in St Paul for the burger category. All 3 will require transportation and are working man casual in atmosphere.

Check out Surly's Brewing and Malcolm Yards, both near the stadium to the east, if only for the spectacle. Crowded, fun, decent food, and beer.

I'd vote for The Nook in St Paul for the burger category. All 3 will require transportation and are working man casual in atmosphere.
Belly up to the bar at Matt's Bar for 2 jucy Lucy's for a quintessential minneapolis experience

Greetings, Gopher Nation! I come in peace but have a few questions for the Minnesota faithful. My wife and I recently purchased tickets to the Louisiana vs. Minnesota football game and we couldn’t be more excited!

I have dinner reservations at both Manny’s and the Butcher’s Tale, as both look fire. We are only in town for a couple days and outside of the football game, what are some spots we should hit up? Secondly, being kickoff is at 11:00, will there be a good tailgate scene?

Anyway, looking forward to passing a good time in Minneapolis!

Geaux Cajuns!
Grab a cab and tell the driver to take you to the Nineties. You're sure to have a good time.

Greetings, Gopher Nation! I come in peace but have a few questions for the Minnesota faithful. My wife and I recently purchased tickets to the Louisiana vs. Minnesota football game and we couldn’t be more excited!

I have dinner reservations at both Manny’s and the Butcher’s Tale, as both look fire. We are only in town for a couple days and outside of the football game, what are some spots we should hit up? Secondly, being kickoff is at 11:00, will there be a good tailgate scene?

Anyway, looking forward to passing a good time in Minneapolis!

Geaux Cajuns!
You’re going to love mannys, been since before Covid for me but actually going this Friday night. As others have said pretty cool small brewery scene in mpls.

Go easy on us. We're kind of fragile right now ...
I’m not ready to make any bold predictions but I do believe we might be in for an entertaining game. I was really hoping y’all would have won last night. I don’t foresee PJ overlooking us now.

I’m not ready to make any bold predictions but I do believe we might be in for an entertaining game. I was really hoping y’all would have won last night. I don’t foresee PJ overlooking us now.
An entertaining game? I think it's possible you guys could beat us by 30. Attendance will be much less than it would have been with a NW victory. We're that fickle up here. I hope you do enjoy your stay though.

An entertaining game? I think it's possible you guys could beat us by 30. Attendance will be much less than it would have been with a NW victory. We're that fickle up here. I hope you do enjoy your stay though.
Is it really being fickle?

How accurate is your QB? I'm feeling a bit nervous now!
This will be his second start so the sample size is very small. QB1 injured his ankle at UAB last week and Zeon, current QB, came in and did great. He looked really good last night in his first start too. Kid has electric athletic ability with his feet, but is a pass first guy.

Awesome! I’m using my IHG points and staying at the Holiday Inn Express downtown. I may convert it to the Hotel Indigo downtown…not sure. I have time.
You will like service and experience at Indigo better than Holiday Inn Express. Stayed there twice for weddings, nice place.

This will be his second start so the sample size is very small. QB1 injured his ankle at UAB last week and Zeon, current QB, came in and did great. He looked really good last night in his first start too. Kid has electric athletic ability with his feet, but is a pass first guy.
Thanks! Now I'm definitely nervous!!

It can’t be much worse than NOLA these days. Talk about rough. Are we cool to walk downtown at night?

Lafayette, LA. Louisiana Alumni and lifelong supporter.
Having lived about ten years in both Minneapolis and New Orleans, Minneapolis is much safer than NOLA at any time since the 70s! Just a few years ago, Mpls-St. Paul were super safe, unlike almost all larger cities. Now you have to be more careful with downtown at night, especially when bars close.

Heading up on Friday afternoon. This Cajun can’t wait for the weekend. Looking forward to lots of cold beers and a good football game.
I hope you all have a good time and win or loss, we only ask 1 thing of our guests. Please join in on the We Hate Iowa chant. It's really important for us, and the world in general, if we can come together and hate Iowa.

A couple of tips:
(1) I have been away from Mpls for awhile but was back this summer and really enjoyed the local brewery scene;
(2) Don't worry about the crime, it's just new for Minnesotans. Just use the same rules as you would in NoLa, don't want into alleys by yourself, etc.;
(3) Kind of a hot take here, but don't go out of your way to get a Juicy Lucy. I mean, they're good but it's really just the cheese inside of the burger, so it's about as revolutionary as if you put the cheese on the bottom of the burger. It's just a cheese burger.
(4) I wouldn't spend a second at the Mall of America. It's the same sh!t you all have, but instead of 1 Old Navy, there are 6 of them;
(5) Even though we hate Iowa, it's also recommended to hate Wisconsin. We don't have a cheer about that one because it kind of goes without saying, of course we we hate Wisconsin and you should too;
(6) For out of towners, I think the North Loop is probably the best place for night life. Lots of things within walking distance, safe, and I assume you're not 23, so it's also age diverse.

Have fun!

It can’t be much worse than NOLA these days. Talk about rough. Are we cool to walk downtown at night?

Lafayette, LA. Louisiana Alumni and lifelong supporter.
Yes, but I'd recommend doing it prior to bar closing time (2am). Typical big city stuff.

Enjoy Manny's!

Does anyone know if Gluek's is still worth a stop? Glueks

Thought it might be fun with Octoberfest underway.

I hope you all have a good time and win or loss, we only ask 1 thing of our guests. Please join in on the We Hate Iowa chant. It's really important for us, and the world in general, if we can come together and hate Iowa.

A couple of tips:
(1) I have been away from Mpls for awhile but was back this summer and really enjoyed the local brewery scene;
(2) Don't worry about the crime, it's just new for Minnesotans. Just use the same rules as you would in NoLa, don't want into alleys by yourself, etc.;
(3) Kind of a hot take here, but don't go out of your way to get a Juicy Lucy. I mean, they're good but it's really just the cheese inside of the burger, so it's about as revolutionary as if you put the cheese on the bottom of the burger. It's just a cheese burger.
(4) I wouldn't spend a second at the Mall of America. It's the same sh!t you all have, but instead of 1 Old Navy, there are 6 of them;
(5) Even though we hate Iowa, it's also recommended to hate Wisconsin. We don't have a cheer about that one because it kind of goes without saying, of course we we hate Wisconsin and you should too;
(6) For out of towners, I think the North Loop is probably the best place for night life. Lots of things within walking distance, safe, and I assume you're not 23, so it's also age diverse.

Have fun!
🤣🤣🤣

Nice!

While I second the nook( it one is up for the short drive), I'd think that Manny's or the Butchers tale would have a decent burger as well. Just way more expensive.

https://butcherstale.com/

https://mannyssteakhouse.com/

While I second the nook( it one is up for the short drive), I'd think that Manny's or the Butchers tale would have a decent burger as well. Just way more expensive.

https://butcherstale.com/

https://mannyssteakhouse.com/
That’s funny…these are the two restaurants we have reservations for. I was planning on get the burger at the Butcher’s Tale!

Top Bottom