Louisiana vs. Minnesota

Big Buds

Reaction score
Greetings, Gopher Nation! I come in peace but have a few questions for the Minnesota faithful. My wife and I recently purchased tickets to the Louisiana vs. Minnesota football game and we couldn’t be more excited!

I have dinner reservations at both Manny’s and the Butcher’s Tale, as both look fire. We are only in town for a couple days and outside of the football game, what are some spots we should hit up? Secondly, being kickoff is at 11:00, will there be a good tailgate scene?

Anyway, looking forward to passing a good time in Minneapolis!

Geaux Cajuns!

Welcome!

Tailgate scene here is pretty good. Those expecting say ... the ultimate tailgate experience in terms of volume of tailgaters and so on might find it on the small side but hit up Lot 37 and the other lots near the stadium and there's plenty of tailgating.

Probably the biggest difference school to school is U of M is that it's a big university in a big Metro area. So there's no end of things to do, eating, shopping, sports, the arts tons of options for everything.

Greetings, Gopher Nation! I come in peace but have a few questions for the Minnesota faithful. My wife and I recently purchased tickets to the Louisiana vs. Minnesota football game and we couldn’t be more excited!

I have dinner reservations at both Manny’s and the Butcher’s Tale, as both look fire. We are only in town for a couple days and outside of the football game, what are some spots we should hit up? Secondly, being kickoff is at 11:00, will there be a good tailgate scene?

Geaux Cajuns!
Do you like craft beer?

Awesome! I’m using my IHG points and staying at the Holiday Inn Express downtown.
Well, you'll need to visit the behemoth Surly Brewing for sure. Just east of the Gophs stadium. HeadFlyer, BauHaus, Inbound, Fulton, Modest and Insight are all very good breweries and minutes from DT Mpls. Also, this is the birthplace of the Juicy Lucy burger, so you might want to hit Matt's Bar or the original 5-8 Club if you are into burgers.

Awesome! I’m using my IHG points and staying at the Holiday Inn Express downtown. I may convert it to the Hotel Indigo downtown…not sure. I have time.
Best part of downtown these days is the North Loop Area (kind of the NW corner of downtown). It is north of Target Field. Lots of good restaurants and breweries there (Fulton, Inbound, and Modist).

Last edited:

It's small, but the best brewery (in terms of beer) is Dangerous Man. It's a bit out of the way from the stadium, but there are other breweries nearby if you want to hop around after the game.

Minneapolis is too dangerous these days. You should be careful. Attrition rate of about 40%.

Joking. Welcome and hope you have a good time. If you don't mind me asking, what part of Louisiana are you from?

Minneapolis is too dangerous these days. You should be careful. Attrition rate of about 40%.

Joking. Welcome and hope you have a good time. If you don't mind me asking, what part of Louisiana are you from?
It can’t be much worse than NOLA these days. Talk about rough. Are we cool to walk downtown at night?

Lafayette, LA. Louisiana Alumni and lifelong supporter.

It can’t be much worse than NOLA these days. Talk about rough.

It's spillover from the thread about Nebraska fans being scared to come to the big city.

After you dine at Manny's, head up the elevator to Prohibition Bar on the top floor of the Foshay.

It can’t be much worse than NOLA these days. Talk about rough. Are we cool to walk downtown at night?

Haha. Yes, I should have explained what PMWinSTP said. Only a joke.

I worked in Lake Charles a couple different times over the recent years. Never made to Lafayette. Would have liked to.

Haha. Yes, I should have explained what PMWinSTP said. Only a joke.

I worked in Lake Charles a couple different times over the recent years. Never made to Lafayette. Would have liked to.
Man, I was gonna say…too funny!

Nice! I’m not a huge fan of Lake Chuck but there is some cultural there. You would have had a great time in Lafayette too!

It's spillover from the thread about Nebraska fans being scared to come to the big city.

After you dine at Manny's, head up the elevator to Prohibition Bar on the top floor of the Foshay.
That’s funny! Minneapolis/Saint Paul definitely comes off as a safe city to explore.

North loop for sure is fine at night. Post your seat location and maybe some gopher fans will deliver some beers.

Man, I was gonna say…too funny!

Nice! I’m not a huge fan of Lake Chuck but there is some cultural there. You would have had a great time in Lafayette too!
Yeah the last time I was there it had just went through 2 hurricanes in the ssame year and massive flooding the week before I got there. The locals said they were cursed.

Lafayette sounds like a good time.

Geaux Cajuns!
What’s the deal with the recent rebrand of the school? Sports websites and the tv scrollers always designated it University of Louisiana-Lafayette or UL-L, but now it’s just Louisiana. What gives? Was Monroe consulted before the change?

What’s the deal with the recent rebrand of the school? Sports websites and the tv scrollers always designated it University of Louisiana-Lafayette or UL-L, but now it’s just Louisiana. What gives? Was Monroe consulted before the change?
It’s still the University of Louisiana at Lafayette, but like so many other city designated universities across the US, they decided to brand athletically as Louisiana about 25 years ago. It’s taken a hell of a fight, mainly against LSU, but Louisiana finally won the war. Yes, ULM has publicly announced their acknowledgment of the change. Louisiana is without question the flagship university of the “UL System” in Louisiana. Only Carnegie R1 University and literally larger in every measurable category amongst other UL System institutions.

In the Spring of 1984 the State voted to approve the official name change from University of Southwestern Louisiana to University of Louisiana…it passed with flying colors. After only a full semester under this new name, the State enforced the “LSU Rule” to protect their status of the Flagship university of Louisiana and the LSU/UL System.

In 1999 they approved the the name change with city designation and included ULM (at that time Northeastern Louisiana), to cause further roadblocks…here we are today. LOUISIANA!

It’s a crazy

The link below is informative, but a couple decades old.

It’s still the University of Louisiana at Lafayette, but like so many other city designated universities across the US, they decided to brand athletically as Louisiana about 25 years ago. It’s taken a hell of a fight, mainly against LSU, but Louisiana finally won the war. Yes, ULM has publicly announced their acknowledgment of the change. Louisiana is without question the flagship university of the “UL System” in Louisiana. Only Carnegie R1 University and literally larger in every measurable category amongst other UL System institutions.

In the Spring of 1984 the State voted to approve the official name change from University of Southwestern Louisiana to University of Louisiana…it passed with flying colors. After only a full semester under this new name, the State enforced the “LSU Rule” to protect their status of the Flagship university of Louisiana and the LSU/UL System.

In 1999 they approved the the name change with city designation and included ULM (at that time Northeastern Louisiana), to cause further roadblocks…here we are today. LOUISIANA!

It’s a crazy

One of the best college team names in the land. Ragin' Cajuns.

It’s a crazy

The link below is informative, but a couple decades old.

That was far more elaborate than I was anticipating, but I appreciate the explanation. I’ve seen it as UL-L or Louisiana-Lafayette, mainly on espn, for as long as I can remember up until the last 3 or 4 years. I was wondering why I was suddenly seeing Louisiana when scrolling through score updates.

Sec: 143
Row: 28
Seat: 3 & 4

Now we know where to throw the eggs!

Welcome. You’ll have fun!

North Loop area: Runyons has world class wings. Seriously. One type of sauce so no decision making. You can’t go wrong with Runyons.

You’re fine to walk almost anywhere. Uber/Lyft are cheap usually as well. You picked a great time of the year to visit. Fall is usually spectacular weather wise.

Edit: Minneapolis is beautiful. If you have time walk along the river post-game or Sunday. But walking “almost anywhere” is with the caveat of strumbling around @ 3am isn’t a good idea. Which is true everywhere but worth noting.

Pregame there are bars nearby. Stadium sells alcohol as well (it’s not cheap but nice to have a couple good beers during a game) You’re a couple sections from the open end zone/beer garden area.

Geaux Cajuns!
Lots will open at 7 am. I'm not sure if you are taking light rail, ride share, or bringing a car. If a rental vehicle see if you can find a 4th st ramp on secondary market and hop over to Lot 37 to tailgate. Cars start lining up by 6:30 and lots are open after game for a few hours. There are about a half a dozen other lots connected or nearby stadium.

Butcher’s Tale is excellent, only bummer is there isn’t much else around it, so you’re probably just going there for food and leaving to another area to check out other hangouts. With Uber, probably not a big deal.

If you wanted to eat in an area where other places are all in walking distance I’d recommend a couple locations that were both mentioned: the North Loop area first, second would Northeast Minneapolis (colloquially referred to as Nordeast) where Dangerous Man Brewing is. A nearby restaurant I really like is Young Joni. The reason North Loop is the first choice is many more restaurants and breweries.

If you did want to go for a walk after the game, also already mentioned: either Lake of the Isles / Bde Maka Ska area or along the river downtown. Google Stone Arch Bridge to get you in the correct area. Miles of trails on both sides of the river. While you’re in that area you can check out the Guthrie Theater and the Mill City Museum.

Last edited:

Top Bottom