Losers ,Tubby has to go

Status
Not open for further replies.
You said:

I guess I took your accomplishments statement as comparing wins/losses, championships, etc. Obviously there are other things that play into it. I was just responding to your statement.
Thompson does have the Princeton offense going for him.

Zambam, thanks for the link. I see (after rummaging through 11 pages of posts), the link to the article I tried to post and was quickly removed by the mods. I apologize but I can't go through every page of every thread to check if it had been posted.

I read the entire thread and I wasn't surprised by what I saw. A couple of good posters refuting the writers ideas and thoughts (like you) and then the usual suspects ripping the guys integrity, ability and credibility. The writer seemed like a genuinely nice guy with an opinion worth discussing. To use the word "defensive" is not strong enough to describe the angry posts thrown at the guy. The motivation must be to remove all non-supporters from the board. It won't work.

You honestly think this board is ran by die-hard Tubby supporters? Your link was removed because it had already been posted.

Since your article can be refuted in a few places, let me spend a few minutes doing just that:

I am glad you start the article with this, it really really boosts your credibility when speaking on this Gophers team. I'll get to how well you seem to "know Tubby Smith" in a moment.

Tubby's winning percentage years 1-4 is nearly identical to his winning percentage years 5-10. In fact, his best regular season as coach comes in year 5 with entirely his own recruits when he goes undefeated in the SEC, and unless you want to argue Tubby Smith somehow managed to make his own SEC schedule, I am not sure how that isn't impressive. His last two years at UK were pretty below average for UK, but to act like all 10 years were like years 9 and 10 is simply untrue.

You are right though, that team had no All Americans or lottery picks and won the title, yet later in this article you claim Tubby won't win because he has no All Americans or lottery picks. Seem Mr. Smith won that way before, why not now? And you so kindly point out that title team was recruited by Rick Pitino, how come he couldn't recruit any All Americans or Lottery Picks to the "most premier program in the country"?

Andre Hollins and Joe Coleman were both higher rated recruits than Trey Burke and Austin Hollins the same as Tim Hardaway Jr. Those two are doing pretty well at Michigan, yet you see no hope for their higher rated counterparts at Minnesota? Mo Walker was also a top 150 player, already given up on him after half of a season? Seems like a pretty solid 4-player nucleus to me.

Yet the next two years Tubby has signed the Gophers up for two of the most difficult non conference tourney's including a possible run in with your beloved Blue Devils.

The 1998 UK team that tubby inherited had 4 NBA first round picks on it. Plus it had Sheppard, the FF MOP, Edwards, Turner, Mills, Evans and Myron Anthony. That team was experienced, talented and had ben to the previous two title games. That was a great team ready to make a deep NCAA run. In fact, Ly would have been very disappointed with anything less than a final four run from that great team.

Things went downhill from that first year with the aberation year of '03. That team was terrible early as tubby was experimenting with the "princeton offense" Only after scrapping idea over Christmas break di the team start to come around, but they were still floundering as tubby tried to implement his normal slowball offense. The team was down to Vandy at Nashville at halftime and things looked pretty bleak. tubby threw in the towell at halftime and just let the guys play a shtey wanted. They went on a surprising run to pull out the win and, to his credit, tubby allowed them to continue to play that way. That's the reason they ran off an undeated season in the SEC. That's impressive even in a very down year for the SEC. Onc ethe tourney came around tubby took control again. That team was the overall number 1 seed and got beat by the 8 seed.

It was errily similar to tubby's second year at UGA where he won with Hugh Durham's players and went into the tourney as a 3 seed only to be bounced out by a 14 seed in the first game.

After tubby's first year at UK he never beat a team seeded higher than a 4 in the NCAA tourney. Once can make all the excuse they want for him, but they can't make up facts or records.

minngg said:
Not what I said.
Is there any chance you can say one thing positive about the Gophers? Anything? If you do I bet Gopherhole will shut down for a few seconds!

Zambam, thanks for the link. I see (after rummaging through 11 pages of posts), the link to the article I tried to post and was quickly removed by the mods. I apologize but I can't go through every page of every thread to check if it had been posted.
I wasn't criticizing you for posting it, just generally people here don't like articles being posted twice (also linked here because the author was posting here)

It's funny that UK fans still come here, seeing how they can't claim vindication because Calipari isn't Tubby's replacement. Tubby's replacement, Billy G destroyed UK basketball, at the end of the day UK hired a worse coach to replace Tubby, if you want vindication go to the Texas Tech fan boards. I bet it tears you apart that Tubby won a title at Kentucky, to Nuggett and co. that has to be the most painful national title in the history of fandom

It's funny that UK fans still come here, seeing how they can't claim vindication because Calipari isn't Tubby's replacement. Tubby's replacement, Billy G destroyed UK basketball, at the end of the day UK hired a worse coach to replace Tubby, if you want vindication go to the Texas Tech fan boards. I bet it tears you apart that Tubby won a title at Kentucky, to Nuggett and co. that has to be the most painful national title in the history of fandom

Gillispie is an acoholic evidently, and has non-basketball problems, but he's actually a decent coach. He got production out of players at Kentucky that Tubby never developed(which seems to be Tubby's most consistent trait). So that's not an accurate post.

This makes no sense. You and nuggett have made it clear you are here for vindication as Kentucky fans. So it is obvious that when you criticize him, you are not a Gopher fan but a Kentucky fan.

It makes perfect sense. Blind Gopher faithful don't want to face the reality that the Tubby hire has been a huge mistake. 5 years is plenty of time to evaluate, and it's clear that Tubby has no prospects for making this team competitive in the B1G. But suffering from that all too typical human foible, HATE to admit being wrong, and thus attack criticism of obvious failure as fandom of other schools. And I've pointed out it's EQUALLY silly to point to defense of Tubby as coming from "Donna" or another family member. It's human nature to not want to be wrong, and it's not uncommon to overcompensate by attacking the messenger, doesn't make you related to Tubby.

Can we not agree that the team is a mix of youth and senior leadership. The team looks lost on the court against defenses they have seen since grade school. We can agree that Tubby wants an unselfish team and he has driven results (tops in assists). But, the bottom line is there is no sizzle with our steak. We don't have the chracters and role players that are developed into threats to the other team. Under Clem, guys would come off the bench and everybody understood the role they would play in the game. And, we knew the damage the other team would get as a result. A set of players come in and all we know is that fresher legs are going in. There is no tactical difference with the substitution. The same sets will be called. The same results are measured. Nothing is unexpected or even expected from these floor changes. Maybe it is my lack of confidence in so many players on the team that I don't see the impact.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom