Losers ,Tubby has to go

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not a UK fan that hates tubby. I've always had great respect for him. I've taken both of my sons to his father/son camps. They were both great unforgettable experiences. The man truly knows how to teach the game is was always a great ambassador for the program and community. I was glad when he left UK because there were people that didn't like him from Day 1 despite all his success from day 1. He was absolutely the person for the Job at the time. I think MN is a good fit for him, though it's a tougher conference than the SEC, he certainly hasn't failed there but I think the expectations were a little higher than they should have been.

I am not a UK fan that hates tubby. I've always had great respect for him. I've taken both of my sons to his father/son camps. They were both great unforgettable experiences. The man truly knows how to teach the game is was always a great ambassador for the program and community. I was glad when he left UK because there were people that didn't like him from Day 1 despite all his success from day 1. He was absolutely the person for the Job at the time. I think MN is a good fit for him, though it's a tougher conference than the SEC, he certainly hasn't failed there but I think the expectations were a little higher than they should have been.

When Tubby was in his later years at Kentucky, was criticism of him met with accusations of being a Louisville or Duke fan?

It's really interesting in that, when talking to Kentucky fans, they either hate him like he killed their dog or really love him. There's not a lot of in between.

Whathavewedone said:
When Tubby was in his later years at Kentucky, was criticism of him met with accusations of being a Louisville or Duke fan?

Nope, it was met with claims of racism.

While not all of it was, unfortunately with Kentucky it may have been part of it.

GophersInIowa said:
It's really interesting in that, when talking to Kentucky fans, they either hate him like he killed their dog or really love him. There's not a lot of in between.

That is pretty interesting, because you do see very little in between.

Nope, it was met with claims of racism.

While not all of it was, unfortunately with Kentucky it may have been part of it.

Well that's not an unfamiliar attack for anyone who may have criticized a certain elected official in Washington these days.

I'm glad we don't have those kind of extreme opposites in Gopher hole.

I don't think there is as much as you think. As much as some believe, people defending Tubby or saying something positive does not mean they are a Tubby apologist or think he's doing a great job here.

he is trying to indicate that I am you. I real reach since we are on at the same time, lol

Yeah, it takes a real computer genius to:

A. Be logged in under one user name on one browser (i.e., Internet Explorer) and a different user name on another browser (i.e., Mozilla Firefox)
B. Be logged in under one user name on a computer and a different user name on a handheld device (smart phone, tablet, iPod, etc.)

or one of any other numerous ways to accomplish it. I highly doubt that you are the same person posting under two user names, but it's not like it would be difficult to do so.

Of course, MN and Kentucky basketball programs are very comparable. My brain hurts every time I read your posts.

Lok at the context in which it was said. He wants to judge Calipari's success at KY versue Tubby. Tubby walked into a terrific situation. Calipari walked into a mess. Partially left by Tubby. Itis a ridiculous comarison just like mine to him. If you can't read all of the posts back, don't get involved in the discussion.

GopherHole staff, please get rid of this Kentucky trash polluting our board.

yeah, I have over 700 posts all bashing Tubby. Look back at my posts instead of making dumb accusations. I was a big supporter of Tubby and I am a big supporter of Kill. Not so much Lucia. Your answer to criticism of Tubby is to blame the source. I have never even been to KY and I live in Apple Valley and would love to meet you. name the place and I'll buy you as beer.

minngg said:
yeah, I have over 700 posts all bashing Tubby. Look back at my posts instead of making dumb accusations. I was a big supporter of Tubby and I am a big supporter of Kill. Not so much Lucia. Your answer to criticism of Tubby is to blame the source. I have never even been to KY and I live in Apple Valley and would love to meet you. name the place and I'll buy you as beer.

He's right, 350 of those posts are bashing Al Nolen lol I kid, I kid.

Tubby walked into a terrific situation. Calipari walked into a mess.

LOLWUT!?!?!?

Minnesota the year before Tubby: 7-17, 3-13
Monson recruits left for Tubby's 1st season who would play in (or even come close to) the NBA: 0.0

Kentucky the year before Calipari: 22-14, 8-8, NIT quarterfinals
Smith/Gillispie recruits left for Calipari's 1st season who would play in the NBA: 3 (Patterson, Liggins, Harrellson)

I mean, seriously. Good God man, where do you come up with this stuff? Hate Tubby all you want, but at least deal in facts.

LOLWUT!?!?!?

Monson recruits left for Tubby's 1st season who would play in (or even come close to) the NBA: 0.0

Smith/Gillispie recruits left for Calipari's 1st season who would play in the NBA: 3 (Patterson, Liggins, Harrellson)

I mean, seriously. Good God man, where do you come up with this stuff? Hate Tubby all you want, but at least deal in facts.

I believe he is saying Tubby walked in to a great situation at Ky., not here.

I believe he is saying Tubby walked in to a great situation at Ky., not here.

That would make no sense at all given that the original statement was "Let's compare Calipari's first 5 years at Kentucky to Tubby's first 5 years here."

Lok at the context in which it was said. He wants to judge Calipari's success at KY versue Tubby. Tubby walked into a terrific situation. Calipari walked into a mess. Partially left by Tubby. Itis a ridiculous comarison just like mine to him. If you can't read all of the posts back, don't get involved in the discussion.

Ouch, my brain still hurts. Why is comparing 8 years under Tubby and 8 years under Calipari so ridiculous? Yes, things were better when Tubby got there. But it's Kentucky, not Minnesota. Things can turn around a lot faster at a place like Kentucky with their fan base, history, prestige, and facilities.

You comparing MN to Kentucky is way more ridiculous than his comparison. Not even close.

LOLWUT!?!?!?

Ah, I meant when he went to KY. Get a hold of yourself. Tubby walked into a great situation at KY and Calipari walked into a bad situation at KY. Get it?

This makes no sense. You and nuggett have made it clear you are here for vindication as Kentucky fans. So it is obvious that when you criticize him, you are not a Gopher fan but a Kentucky fan.

Ah, I meant when he went to KY. Get a hold of yourself. Tubby walked into a great situation at KY and Calipari walked into a bad situation at KY. Get it?

If that's actually what you meant (which I doubt, given the context), do us all a favor and say what you actually mean. All of your anti-Tubby venom tends to run together.

Further, I disagree with your (nudge-nudge, wink-wink) "amended" statement. Tubby walked into an all-time great situation at Kentucky, but Calipari walked into a good (not great) situation. He took a borderline top 25 roster and augmented it with probably the greatest recruiting class in college basketball history. He doesn't get to the Elite Eight without Patterson, Liggins, and Miller on the roster.

Ouch, my brain still hurts. Why is comparing 8 years under Tubby and 8 years under Calipari so ridiculous? Yes, things were better when Tubby got there. But it's Kentucky, not Minnesota. Things can turn around a lot faster at a place like Kentucky with their fan base, history, prestige, and facilities.

You comparing MN to Kentucky is way more ridiculous than his comparison. Not even close.

Not comparing MN to KY. But you can judge the job a person does by relative success, no? MN was down with Monson by MN standards. KY was down by KY standards. Which has shown improvement relatively speaking?

If that's actually what you meant (which I doubt, given the context), do us all a favor and say what you actually mean. All of your anti-Tubby venom tends to run together.

Further, I disagree with your (nudge-nudge, wink-wink) "amended" statement. Tubby walked into an all-time great situation at Kentucky, but Calipari walked into a good (not great) situation. He took a borderline top 25 roster and augmented it with probably the greatest recruiting class in college basketball history. He doesn't get to the Elite Eight without Patterson, Liggins, and Miller on the roster.

Your Tubby excuses all run together. Patterson, Liggins and Miller were all on the team when he got there and they went to the NIT the year before. KY---NIT???? Really?

Your Tubby excuses all run together. Patterson, Liggins and Miller were all on the team when he got there and they went to the NIT the year before. KY---NIT???? Really?

Players never get better year-over-year, and certainly never get better the more they play together. Nope, that never happens.

Also, the almighty Pitino didn't even get to the NIT his first two seasons at KY. KY---no postseason 3 consecutive years???? Do you suppose they sit around and crucify Pitino for that on the Louisville boards?

Not comparing MN to KY. But you can judge the job a person does by relative success, no? MN was down with Monson by MN standards. KY was down by KY standards. Which has shown improvement relatively speaking?

Relatively speaking? They both have.

minngg said:

image-2395048490.jpg

This makes no sense. You and nuggett have made it clear you are here for vindication as Kentucky fans. So it is obvious that when you criticize him, you are not a Gopher fan but a Kentucky fan.

Like I've said before, that's every bit as valid as when Tubby defenders are greeted as "Donna". I know this is hard for the feeble minded to grasp, but it's VERY POSSIBLE
to criticize the job Tubby is doing here, and NOT be a Kentucky fan. And it's entirely
possible to support the program, and want a better alternative as coach. Just like it's entirely possible to still want Tubby as the coach, and NOT be a member of his immediate family.

And I don't see myself as unreasonable for wanting exceptional results, when the coach was hired to produce them, and PAID commensurate with producing them.
The university could have spent MUCH less money for the same results with a lesser known coach over the last lustrum.

Like I've said before, that's every bit as valid as when Tubby defenders are greeted as "Donna". I know this is hard for the feeble minded to grasp, but it's VERY POSSIBLE
to criticize the job Tubby is doing here, and NOT be a Kentucky fan. And it's entirely
possible to support the program, and want a better alternative as coach. Just like it's entirely possible to still want Tubby as the coach, and NOT be a member of his immediate family.
I never said one can't criticize Tubby AND be a Gopher fan. But the only people being called Kentucky fans are you, nuggett, notagopherfan, and mingg. Only one that isn't is mingg.

Relatively speaking? They both have.

Let's not get in to Ky.'s improvement., but "relatively speaking", it would've been extremely difficult for most any post Monson-meltdown coach not to have shown improvement. And Tubby certainbly did, in the very first year. But you cannot claim he has built on that. After last year and this, it's starting to be hard to even claim that he plateaued, as it's been a step back from the beginning.

I never said one can't criticize Tubby AND be a Gopher fan. But the only people being called Kentucky fans are you, nuggett, notagopherfan, and mingg. Only one that isn't is mingg.

And mingg's criticism isn't much harsher than mine? Seems to me like he has bashed him thoroughly, whereas my complaint is that he was WELL PAID to do somthing new here, and hasn't lived up to that expectation. Call me oldfashioned, but I'm a results guy. You get paid top dollar, you should do top dollar work. And I don't mean he should have built a top contender for the NCAA, but something more than a program that can't finish above .500 in the B1G.

I agree with Thompson but, looking at accomplishments, Tubby and Richardson are not that different. Both have about the same wins and winning percentage. Richardson has more Final 4 appearances, Tubby has more Sweet 16 appearances. I'm not claiming that Tubby has been a better coach than Richardson was, but its not out of the question for someone to say their accomplishments are pretty similar.

Wins/Losses, Championships, etc just tell a small amount of the story. I don't think you can define greatness or genius in such a simple context. John Mclendon never got to coach at the highest level of college b-ball because of segregation but he was doing things in the 40's and 50's that a lot of coach's, programs and team's didn't start implementing until decades later. Where would you place him? It just depends on the weight you're going to give to whatever criteria you're going to define the question itself by.

Tubby's a good coach but saying he's going to go down as the "greatest African American coach of all time" is a bit of hyperbole.

You said:
but Tubby cannot compete on the level of Thompson and Richardson in terms of career accomplishments

I guess I took your accomplishments statement as comparing wins/losses, championships, etc. Obviously there are other things that play into it. I was just responding to your statement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom