Looks like Curry is starting as of now

Is Johnson expected to come back to play for us in 2021-22, because of the free year from Covid?
No one knows but I’d like to see him back. Of course we have two recruits incoming so two guys on the current roster will have to go. I’d prefer it be two of the younger guys that go who don’t play instead of Johnson. I don’t want to say who but I think we all have an idea of who we are talking about.

No one knows but I’d like to see him back. Of course we have two recruits incoming so two guys on the current roster will have to go. I’d prefer it be two of the younger guys that go who don’t play instead of Johnson. I don’t want to say who but I think we all have an idea of who we are talking about.
I'd like the NCAA to allow 6+ year players who are on their extended covid year to not count towards roster limits or scholarship limits.

The NCAA's Division I Council voted to give eligibility relief to winter-sport athletes regardless of how many games they play during the 2020-21 academic year. Athletes now have the opportunity to play five seasons within a six-year span rather than the typical four seasons in five years.Oct 14, 2020

It will be interesting how the NCAA rules on this because, I believe the intent is to not count scholarships for seniors this year toward next years limit if they stay.

Are you worried Curry will not be allowed an incremental year?

Critiquing roster management for an intrasquad scrimmage is a bit much. Let's see what the lineup is Wednesday night.

Ok. Like I've said numerous times on this thread, I don't care about the rotations during the scrimmage.

If the lineup was only used for the scrimmage, which while odd would be possible, I don't care at all. If this is a sign to how we will use our players during the regular season I think it's problematic. To me, it would fall in line with the last 7 seasons of Pitino not optimizing our roster.

So let me rephrase my post, if that's our starting lineup when the season starts, Pitino still doesn't get it.

Ok. Like I've said numerous times on this thread, I don't care about the rotations during the scrimmage.

If the lineup was only used for the scrimmage, which while odd would be possible, I don't care at all. If this is a sign to how we will use our players during the regular season I think it's problematic. To me, it would fall in line with the last 7 seasons of Pitino not optimizing our roster.

So let me rephrase my post, if that's our starting lineup when the season starts, Pitino still doesn't get it.
Have you been watching Ihnen in the offseason? I'm guessing Pitino probably has.

Have you been watching Ihnen in the offseason? I'm guessing Pitino probably has.

Nope. I could be wrong, I really hope I am. I like almost everything I know about Richard Pitino besides how he has coached the Gophers. I would love to be wrong.

I've watched 7 years of Pitino not understanding how to utilizes his players though. If he plays Curry and Robbins together for significant minutes, he does not understand modern basketball. That's what the last 7 years have pointed to, that's what his starting lineup is pointing to. Again, I'll gladly be wrong. I love the Gophers and I like Pitino.

“Modern basketball!” Some of you experts make me laugh. What the hell does that mean, anyway? Playing with the 3 point line vs before it? Good teams put their best talent on the floor and find ways to leverage their advantageous matchups and minimize the risk of their poor matchups. I don’t care how Steve Kerr coaches the Golden State Warriors. We don’t have Steph Curry on our team. Until we get some better shooters, I’m not sure I want us launching 50 threes per game. If an opponent wants to go small, I’d pound it in to Robbins on the block every play, and hide the quickness deficiency on the D end (even if it meant going zone). It’s more important to know your team talent and take advantage of it than to adopt a trendy approach.

Imho, a lot of people on this board just like to complain about Pitino.

I am real interested in how he integrates everybody this year. It seems to be a good problem to have.
Probably moreso complaining about lack of consistently winning. :cool:

Nope. I could be wrong, I really hope I am. I like almost everything I know about Richard Pitino besides how he has coached the Gophers. I would love to be wrong.

I've watched 7 years of Pitino not understanding how to utilizes his players though. If he plays Curry and Robbins together for significant minutes, he does not understand modern basketball. That's what the last 7 years have pointed to, that's what his starting lineup is pointing to. Again, I'll gladly be wrong. I love the Gophers and I like Pitino.

Hard to believe that will happen. Both are going to be close to the basket guys who are not likely to guard well on the perimeter. If they play together, something has gone wrong with other players and he is taping it together.

Critiquing roster management for an intrasquad scrimmage is a bit much. Let's see what the lineup is Wednesday night.

Honestly, even the lineup wednesday night doesn't mean its the lineup for the season. He may try a few different things to see how it goes, especially if up or down big.

This roster is interesting. A lot of new pieces expected to be key pieces. Gach, Robbins, Johnson, Mashburn and even Curry hasn't played consistent minutes for years. 50% of the rotation didn't play here last year.

Hard to believe that will happen. Both are going to be close to the basket guys who are not likely to guard well on the perimeter. If they play together, something has gone wrong with other players and he is taping it together.
I have no idea what Curry's game looks like today, since we have hardly seen him for 3 years. However, the summer after his first season his game was anything but a close to the basket only game. He may have lost some mobility or a lot of it...not sure. But he had a decent looking perimeter shot three years ago and I would guess he has been working on it since. Plus, the word was that he had decided to slim down a fair amount to put less weight strain on his legs. I think that Pitino is going to give Curry every early chance to show what he has at the position he has the best chance at. He is not big enough to play much center in the Big Ten. In the end, Pitino is going to choose the guys that can win and play the best two way ball. Any speculation to the contrary doesn't make any sense. He knows how to coach. His rosters have been limited in depth in the past and that indeed is squarely on him.

I have no idea what Curry's game looks like today, since we have hardly seen him for 3 years. However, the summer after his first season his game was anything but a close to the basket only game. He may have lost some mobility or a lot of it...not sure. But he had a decent looking perimeter shot three years ago and I would guess he has been working on it since. Plus, the word was that he had decided to slim down a fair amount to put less weight strain on his legs. I think that Pitino is going to give Curry every early chance to show what he has at the position he has the best chance at. He is not big enough to play much center in the Big Ten. In the end, Pitino is going to choose the guys that can win and play the best two way ball. Any speculation to the contrary doesn't make any sense. He knows how to coach. His rosters have been limited in depth in the past and that indeed is squarely on him.

I'm going with the theory that new knees don't work as well as pre injured knees. Very hard to believe he will have the mobility to be a perimeter defender. Maybe he can shoot, but mobility losses would make it miracle if he can play defense outside. Thus, not likely to play simultaneously with Robbins. But, hey, anything can happen.

Yeah, if he is doing it to tape it together, it's hard to blame him.

If he is doing it because he sees Curry as a PF and Robbins as a C and that's our starting lineup (or a lineup that gets a lot of run), it's a problem.

I'm going with the theory that new knees don't work as well as pre injured knees. Very hard to believe he will have the mobility to be a perimeter defender. Maybe he can shoot, but mobility losses would make it miracle if he can play defense outside. Thus, not likely to play simultaneously with Robbins. But, hey, anything can happen.

He is also 6'9" 240 lbs. Your thought that he won't be able to guard wings effectively is a pretty good hypothesis. If you're 6'9" 240 lbs and you can be an effective perimeter defender in college basketball, you're a really rare athlete.

So if Curry is able to do those things, I will be the first one to admit that I'm wrong. We will also have an incredibly talented team.

ACL repairs are a different than they used to be and not nearly that detrimental. Also guarding guys on the perimeter will really be match up based and how we are defending ball screens. You're right to worry that if they can play together will be reliant on the defensive end.

How much did Curry weigh his freshman year here? The roster that year doesn't list weight. His 247 recruiting profile says 6'8"/210. So guessing somewhere like 220?

I thought he was trying to get his weight down closer to those days?

This on Curry from a January Strib interview- back then his plan was to cut his weight back down to his freshman weight. Not sure if he was able to do that, but if so it would help his mobility and quickness.

Q: What have you been doing differently this time around to get healthy?
A: I got with a nutritionist a couple months ago after I could start moving and exercising again. I basically sat down, and we talked about maybe a reason why I’m going through all these ligament tears. I gained too much weight. So, it was about getting leaner and down to my freshman size. I want to keep my strength but cut down on my weight by eating the right things.

May I remind people that who starts is far less important than who plays in crunch time?

I would add that number of minutes played is also important. If player X starts, he might only play 15 minutes while player Y who comes off the bench might play 25 minutes. of course, that can be impacted by foul trouble and other factors.

Not to mention that some guys have that ability to come off the bench cold and get right into the flow of the game, while other guys need to work their way into the game and need more time to get clicking - all of which impacts the coach's decisions on playing time and substitution pattern.

Do the Gophers have a Vinnie "Microwave" Johnson coming off the bench?

(one of the all-time great sports nicknames - and a damn good scorer).

I would add that number of minutes played is also important. If player X starts, he might only play 15 minutes while player Y who comes off the bench might play 25 minutes. of course, that can be impacted by foul trouble and other factors.

Not to mention that some guys have that ability to come off the bench cold and get right into the flow of the game, while other guys need to work their way into the game and need more time to get clicking - all of which impacts the coach's decisions on playing time and substitution pattern.

Do the Gophers have a Vinnie "Microwave" Johnson coming off the bench?

(one of the all-time great sports nicknames - and a damn good scorer).
I love the shout out to Vinnie "the Microwave."
The only thing better would be Andrew "the Boston Strangler" Toney.

I love the shout out to Vinnie "the Microwave."
The only thing better would be Andrew "the Boston Strangler" Toney.

Toney was indeed the boston strangler and vinnie fit perfectly with the bad boys.
My Top 5
"The Iceman"
"Dr. Dunkenstein"
"Silk"
"Skywalker"
"Downtown"

Last edited:

Toney was indeed the boston strangler and vinnie fit perfectly with the bad boys.
My Top 5
"The Iceman"
"Dr. Dunkenstein"
"Silk"
"Skywalker"
"Downtown"
I like yours...just got me thinking of other candidates....
https://www.yardbarker.com/nba/arti...ba_nicknames_of_all_time/s1__22571752#slide_1

Those 30 plus, Greek Freak, The Big O, Larry Legend, KG, Spud and Muggsy are a couple more.

And the Celtics have some great ones, including: The Black Hole :ROFLMAO:
https://www.celticsblog.com/2014/11/10/7185081/recounting-the-best-celtic-nicknames

Last edited:

I like yours...just got me thinking of other candidates....
https://www.yardbarker.com/nba/arti...ba_nicknames_of_all_time/s1__22571752#slide_1

Those 30 plus, Greek Freak, The Big O, Larry Legend, KG, Spud and Muggsy are a couple more.

And the Celtics have some great ones, including: The Black Hole :ROFLMAO:
https://www.celticsblog.com/2014/11/10/7185081/recounting-the-best-celtic-nicknames

Feel kind of silly that i had forgotten who the Black Hole was until i looked at the article. Big Baby too a classic.

https://www.startribune.com/healthy-curry-could-start-opener-for-gophers/573184211/

After battling through multiple knee surgeries, Eric Curry knows emotions will run high when he finally gets to play again Wednesday night.

The 6-foot-9, 240-pound redshirt senior missed last year because of his second major knee injury, but he could start in the U’s season opener vs. Wisconsin-Green Bay at Williams Arena.

What kept Curry from giving up on basketball after so many injury setbacks in the last four years?

“The motivation I got from all my peers, my mom, family and coaching staff,” Curry said. “I’ve never been a quitter in my life. My mom is my biggest motivation, and she works hard. Keeps her head down and keeps pushing. I figured I do the same and follow in her footsteps.”

Curry’s mother, Audrea, saw the comments from her son from videos posted on social media Tuesday. She tweeted that he was an inspiration to her and so many other people.

“It’s crazy how even when anyone speaks about Eric and his journey, it almost brings you to tears,” she posted. “He deserves a chance!”

Gophers coach Richard Pitino said Tuesday that Western Michigan graduate transfer Brandon Johnson had come back from an injury that sidelined him recently. Johnson hurt his ankle in practice, sources told the Star Tribune. That led Curry to being upgraded to starter in Saturday’s scrimmage at the Barn.

“We’re going to have to monitor his practice as much as we possibly can to be able to play in those games,” Pitino said. “But it’s great to see him out there. He looked really good. I’m happy for him.”

The Gophers last had Curry on the court during the 2018-19 season when he saw action in 15 games. Surgery to repair a torn ligament in his right foot, though, kept him out of the U’s run to the NCAA tournament second round.

Last October, Curry tore the anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee in preseason practice. He had missed the first 12 games the season prior following arthroscopic surgery on his left knee. That was the same left knee that forced him to miss the 2017-18 season after tearing multiple ligaments and his meniscus.

Curry is the only player left on Minnesota’s roster who played on Pitino’s first NCAA tournament team in 2017. Then a freshman, the Memphis native came off the bench to contribute in a variety of ways: defense, rebounding and clutch shooting.

In 49 career games, Curry has averaged 5.1 points, 4.6 rebounds and 1.7 assists for the Gophers, including in seven starts. His return gives the U frontcourt more depth this season, which includes Johnson and Drake transfer Liam Robbins, the replacement for departed standout Daniel Oturu at center.

“This past year, I really focused on losing weight,” said Curry, who lost 10 pounds. “We came to the conclusion that basically that’s why I was tearing all those ligaments and hurting myself that much. … Back to my freshman year weight helped me out a lot. Basically, just preparing my body for this season.”

Lost 10lbs to get to 240?? Or is he 230 now? Hope the latter.

If he were to go down with another early injury, would he be granted a seventh year?

Top Bottom