Curry
Liam

vs
Mash
Tre
Ihnen
Johnson
Omersa

Mutaf, Mitchell,Freeman and Conroy on the bench. Surprised we don’t have a second walk-on, could do 5 on 5 on 5 with a second walkon

Obviously the best man should play. But would think with Curry's injury history he will split minutes with Johnson?

Obviously the best man should play. But would think with Curry's injury history he will split minutes with Johnson?

Curry through the first TV timeout and then bring in a fresh Johnson for 8 minutes, Curry, the next four, Johnson closing it?

Or as close as it makes sense with game flow, fouls, and production.

Ihnen at the backup 3.

This is the exact reason why I don't trust Pitino as our coach going forward. I like him. He seems personable. But I don't think he is a good coach in terms of calling plays or putting his players in the best position to succeed.

Ihnen should be a 4. He has adequate size and his shot would allow us to have proper spacing. His shot for a three is closer to average. his speed is probably less than average.

Ihnen would have been a 3 in 1995. In 2020, he is a 4.

We've done this with a lot of players.

This is the exact reason why I don't trust Pitino as our coach going forward. I like him. He seems personable. But I don't think he is a good coach in terms of calling plays or putting his players in the best position to succeed.

Ihnen should be a 4. He has adequate size and his shot would allow us to have proper spacing. His shot for a three is closer to average. his speed is probably less than average.

These scrimmage rosters mean nothing.

Will be disappointing to me if Curry is ahead of Johnson.

I agree he is better at the 4 and have even argued he is better as a 5 than a 3 but this is just a scrimmage and hopefully more of an experiment.

It would also make sense to put Ihnen at the 3 in this type of scrimmage because otherwise you have to play Mutaf at the 3 and Omersa doesn’t get minutes at the 4 and Omersa is likely more deserving of getting those scrimmage minutes over Mutaf. The simple number of bugs compared to wings on the roster means in 5 on 5, we will have to put a big on the wing but that doesn’t mean that will happen in a game.

Still expecting Ihnen to play mostly at the 4.

Last edited:

Will be disappointing to me if Curry is ahead of Johnson and he's not great.
I don't necessarily disagree with you, but if Curry is somehow that good to earn it, i'm cool with that.

True that. Guess i am assuming we will not get the curry we saw during his freshman year so am going to be disappointed if johnson is behind him.

True that. Guess i am assuming we will not get the curry we saw during his freshman year so am going to be disappointed if johnson is behind him.

It's just so hard to predict what we're gonna see from Curry. I mean he's not been on a live court for a long time, but he's also a few years older and grown into his body as a man. It should be interesting to watch, hopefully fun and free of further injury.

It's just so hard to predict what we're gonna see from Curry. I mean he's not been on a live court for a long time, but he's also a few years older and grown into his body as a man. It should be interesting to watch, hopefully fun and free of further injury.

Yeah, hard to know with curry at this point. I feel real good about carr, gabe, gach, robbins. Would be very helpful if johnson or curry or even ihnen could really excel and nicely round out our starting 5.

Yeah, hard to know with curry at this point. I feel real good about carr, gabe, gach, robbins. Would be very helpful if johnson or curry or even ihnen could really excel and nicely round out our starting 5.

It's intoxicating just to merely think about the idea of actually having a bench.

Hopefully it’s just a situation where they start Curry due to seniority but Johnson or Ihnen beat him out eventually.

In HS, I started the first few spring practices at DE on my team solely because I was a senior, got beat out by a junior and then that guy ended up becoming a first team MAC OT and was clearly a better option than me at the time.

It’s going to be great to have a bench and some positional flexibility. If Curry plays with the first team that could mean he is playing great, but either way he may be perfect with the rest of the first team as he has a high basketball IQ and doesn’t need shots. Hopefully he is still good enough to force the D to guard him and this leaves it open for the second team to maybe use Ihnen for more offensive spark coming off the bench and maybe Mashburn and others?

You don’t trust Pitino because of the scrimmage teams he has?

My mindset on Curry for the last two years has been anything he gives you is a cherry on top because I'm expecting him to provide nothing.

If he can play even 8-12 minutes a game and not be a liability, the depth of this team is that much better. Robbins will take time to adjust to Big 10 play. There will be games where he picks up two fouls in the first three minutes and three fouls in eight minutes where we will need someone to provide competency at the C spot. If that can be Curry, you know he's got the mind to do it - it's just a matter of if his body will allow him to.

I wouldn't expect these lineups to stay for long and next to zero chance of these for opening night. Just a hunch. Lineups generally change early on especially when you have so many newcomers just getting used to playing with each other. I also think it's likely Pitino tried to set this up so neither team has a large advantage so likely a couple players from the other team end up starting opening night.

People thinking way too hard.
I agree with this. Let it happen. We are all saying what should happen and nobody has seen a minute of practice. I'm sure pitino has an idea what hes doing. Maybe this scrimmage means absolutely nothing also.

3 or 4 spot doesn't really mean anything these days with all of the changing matchups. You want guys that can play 3 or 4 positions so they switch on the flow.

You don’t trust Pitino because of the scrimmage teams he has?

It's not about the scrimmage. It's that his misuse of players and lack of understanding of spacing has been a huge issue for his 7 years as our coach.

3 or 4 spot doesn't really mean anything these days with all of the changing matchups. You want guys that can play 3 or 4 positions so they switch on the flow.

This is only true if 4 is not a traditional 4. You could not switch Demir out on wing players. I don't think you could with Curry either. In my head, Curry should be our backup 5.

I would try to avoid running a lot of lineups with Robbins and Curry on the floor.

This is only true if 4 is not a traditional 4. You could not switch Demir out on wing players. I don't think you could with Curry either. In my head, Curry should be our backup 5.

I would try to avoid running a lot of lineups with Robbins and Curry on the floor.
I’d agree with that.
I’m not generally as critical about Pitino playing guys out of position or our offensive spacing. Some of that may have been because he’s always had either limited numbers available or limited talent. This year the roster is his best. It’ll be interesting to see how many guys get minutes? And for me, at the outset to a lesser degree, where? I’d like to see 10 guys minimum get minutes to start the season.

Even if Curry makes his teammates better ?
There's no place for nuance here, built! The stat line says it all! No need for a savvy veteran on this team. Let's just roll with the new guy who is still learning the system!

Hopefully it’s just a situation where they start Curry due to seniority but Johnson or Ihnen beat him out eventually.

In HS, I started the first few spring practices at DE on my team solely because I was a senior, got beat out by a junior and then that guy ended up becoming a first team MAC OT and was clearly a better option than me at the time.
Is Johnson expected to come back to play for us in 2021-22, because of the free year from Covid?

Critiquing roster management for an intrasquad scrimmage is a bit much. Let's see what the lineup is Wednesday night.

Top Bottom