Long list of Gopher football wins assisted by a controversial call

I am 96% certain we went for it in our own territory on our second to last drive so they would score faster so we could come back and win.
Didn’t work out and nobody scored again
I'd have more confidence in this logical theory if we had taken our timeouts toward the end to preserve time on the clock. But we didn't. That said, going for it there was still the move that gave us the highest chance of winning the game. I'd have preferred a different play.

2015 vs U of Ohio. We called a timeout right before a potential winning 53 yard field goal attempt, but the kicker kicked it anyway. They received a five year penalty which took them out of field-goal range they had to try an unsuccessful Hail Mary. I was there and thought that was a very interesting call, does anyone else think that was a good goal for the Gophers?

This game doesn't make the list.
I was there.
The reffing was fine.

Funny broadcasting at the 2:50 mark.
"This is ridiculous!!!!" Too funny and it sounded awfully close what I've said many times in the past (of course I also used a lot of adult language).

I am surprised no one has mentioned the 2006 Penn State game at The Dome. The Gophers are up 27-21 in overtime (Giannini missed an extra point). On 4th and 9, a Penn State pass is defended and falls incomplete. The Gophers start hopping around but Joe Paterno EXPLODES on the sideline. Fully 3 seconds after the play is over, the pass interference flag is flown. Penn State scores and kicks the extra point.

"This is ridiculous!!!!" Too funny and it sounded awfully close what I've said many times in the past (of course I also used a lot of adult language).

These are Penn State announcers.

At 10:00 mark, which is when PSU extends the lead to 42-3 they say "The noise in the metrodome has not been a factor".

Too funny.

I could see the punchline before I ever tapped the link :)

I remember the game back at the Dome in 2002-ish when Purdue was top 15 and first they gained 70 yards in 20 seconds while Glen Mason stood there with his headset off. They got a disputed chance to kick a miracle FG. Then in OT, the weird end zone design of the day caused another missed call that gave Purdue the win and the Gophers the useless apology letter from the B1G

We’re due. And he pushed off.
IIRC, Purdue got the ball AT THEIR OWN 4 YARD LINE... with 19 seconds left, and made it to the Gophers 40 or 30 I think in 2 plays.... with 0 timeouts, and were still able to get their FG unit on the field for the tying kick... that day I truly understood what it was like to not only be a Gophers fan, but a fan of ALL sports in Minnesota!

Last edited:

IIRC, Purdue got the ball AT THEIR OWN 4 YARD LINE... with 19 seconds left, and made it to the Gophers 40 or 30 I think in 2 plays.... with 0 timeouts, and were still able to get their FG unit on the field for the tying kick... that day I truly understood what is was like to not only be a Gophers fan, but a fan of ALL sports in Minnesota!
Would not happen today as refs can put the ball in play before chains are set.
Actually, glen Mason ball generally would be more successful as out of bounds doesn’t permanently stop the clock until the next play anymore either

The question is wrong. All calls that helped the Gophers were cut and dry. We have about 3-5 losses every year that were solely the result of poor officiating.

Top Bottom