Long list of Gopher football wins assisted by a controversial call

Exactly. Reading the media reports today you would think the refs give us W's all the time. Plus, only one of the articles I read mentioned the PI call on Nubin and the multiple missed holding calls. Yes, that last PI was a minimal push off but many of us saw it as a make up call which happens all the time is sports.

Hahahaha --- so true. I honestly can't think of any others but there must be some.

Having grown up with badger fans I have seen the trivial pursuit of the perfectly officiated game.

One point that seems to be lost on this is if Purdue scores there, is the game over?
About 50 seconds remaining and Gophers have two timeouts.

Are we sure Minnesota doesn't post a drive in 50 seconds to maybe win the game against that Purdue Defense?

One point that seems to be lost on this is if Purdue scores there, is the game over?

Are we sure Minnesota doesn't post a drive in 50 seconds to maybe win the game against that Purdue Defense?
This is very true. When Wisconsin had scored prior to be taken away, I thought, we have 50 seconds to get this done and felt that we could actually do it. I felt that despite a slow moving boat going down the field late in the game. No doubt we would have unleashed Morgan and have him let it rip.

This is very true. When Wisconsin had scored prior to be taken away, I thought, we have 50 seconds to get this done and felt that we could actually do it. I felt that despite a slow moving boat going down the field late in the game. No doubt we would have unleashed Morgan and have him let it rip.

If we had a traditional Gopher offense of the past (simply run heavy), I'd say 50 seconds, very unlikely.
But with Tanner, CAB, and Bateman, I think we could hit a TD vs Purdue in 50 seconds with 2 TO's.

National announcers are still talking about our PI call. No game context, poor camera angles that did not capture the entire play and the assumption we were given the W. Gopher fans know that we are rarely " given " anything.

National announcers are still talking about our PI call. No game context, poor camera angles that did not capture the entire play and the assumption we were given the W. Gopher fans know that we are rarely " given " anything.
For the doubters: look at which ref called the OPI. The single guy with the best vantage point in the entire stadium.

Did Ardre Ware say that the call last night makes him want to vomit? Gimme a break, we have been screwed SO many times.

Was it Purdue in 2002 (give or take) that we lost to because the refs took our touchdown away by mistaking the end zone MINNESOTA paint for the out of bounds line?
2001 game. The refs helped Purdue multiple times at the end of that game. It was the gift that just kept giving.

Phatom call on the kick six for sdsu last year was a nice gift

I could see the punchline before I ever tapped the link :)

I remember the game back at the Dome in 2002-ish when Purdue was top 15 and first they gained 70 yards in 20 seconds while Glen Mason stood there with his headset off. They got a disputed chance to kick a miracle FG. Then in OT, the weird end zone design of the day caused another missed call that gave Purdue the win and the Gophers the useless apology letter from the B1G

We’re due. And he pushed off.

Exactly. Also, Purdue still had the ball with time to win. People are talking like that was the last play of the game.

Also, notice the back of the endzone. The gold doesn't go all the way back to the white backline in the endzone. A Gopher receiver made a reception in OT with one foot on the green between the gold the white line making it a completion, no argument, not a judgment call. The ref blew the call, no replay review at the time, game over.
2001 Purdue Miracle

This 2nd vid pretty much removes any controversy. It's the good ol' Bronkowski big man push off....

So you're saying you can push a defensive back for better separation? I don't think Bud Grant would like that as well (Drew Pearson).
i think it was the right/good call. which is why it's gross when someone who is supposed to be fully impartial says they're so disgusted by it they want to vomit

[QUOTE="GoForGold, post: 2094682, member: 2154"
2001 game. The refs helped Purdue multiple times at the end of that game. It was the gift that just kept giving.
[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately the video doesn't show TD in question or capture the poor time keeping that got it to overtime in the first place.

Great points about the 2001 game. It was prior to me hitting my “extra gear” of Gopher fandom and though I remember the game, I either didn’t realize or had forgotten the refs had improperly taken a Gopher TD off the board.

That makes Friday’s result more poetic. I still remember the Gophers getting royally screwed by a horrendous PI call in an OT loss to Penn State in the Metrodome years ago. Always figured karma would happen at some future point against PSU. Didn’t consider that 2001 Purdue game but after 19 years, maybe some karma there.

I have been shocked how there is footage available of the OPI in question but outside of Twitter, nobody seems be to be showing it. Certainly a close call and if it hadn’t been called it would merely be a footnote, probably mentioned on Gopherhole with “Actually by the definition of the rule the refs could even have called OPI on Purdue’s last TD”. But they did call it. And the bad takes improperly resulting from replays that show the action AFTER the foul or from other angles have flowed ever since.

So in analyzing a call that gave us a game, what's the criteria?
Does it have to be near the end of the game, or can it be any offensive holding call in a first quarter of a game we won by less than 7 points?

If this call vs Purdue is made in the first quarter, no one is talking about it today (or yesterday).

Was it Purdue in 2002 (give or take) that we lost to because the refs took our touchdown away by mistaking the end zone MINNESOTA paint for the out of bounds line?
Yes and I seem to recall a game against PSU a while back where we were hosed!

This 2nd vid pretty much removes any controversy. It's the good ol' Bronkowski big man push off....
And the ref was less than 10 yards away. Only guy in the stadium with the perfect vantage point.

This game doesn't make the list.
I was there.
The reffing was fine.

Funny broadcasting at the 2:50 mark.

Last edited:

I am 96% certain we went for it in our own territory on our second to last drive so they would score faster so we could come back and win.
Didn’t work out and nobody scored again

Top Bottom