Logan Fife, qb, commits to the Gophers

maybe the kid is coming here to be on a BIG10 football team
Is that not the point I was making?

Just surprised that he doesn't want to go somewhere (ie, downward) to play, as opposed to just being on a team.

I'd suit up for 250k. Can't throw or run, but I'd have fun.
Would all your throws would look like check downs? I know mine would, but yes, it would be fun and for a nice NIL sum I'd do it.

He’s got two years left, I think. So, could back up Brosmer in 2024 (and start if Brosmer gets hurt) and compete with Lindsay to play in 2025, all while getting an Ag-related Master’s degree for free. Makes sense to me. Apart from the top NIL pay-for-play auctions (where we don’t have enough chips), the Gophers and the U have a lot to offer.

I’m good with this, it was a hard spot to sell, they needed an experienced QB2 and he fits the bill. He also backed up a couple of pretty good QBs at Fresno St, he’s not without some talent. He also buys some time to develop Lindsay.
Again, it's just wild and tough for me to accept how quickly it's changing.

A backup at Fresno, is coming to be a backup in the Big Ten. Literally just because, we don't have anyone else.

When it was sane, you'd have a true freshman running scout team, a soph and/or junior as backup working their way towards being a starter, and a junior or senior as starter.

Is that not the point I was making?

Just surprised that he doesn't want to go somewhere (ie, downward) to play, as opposed to just being on a team.
I guess? Maybe those downward schools where he could play were not large research institutions with well known business and ag programs. I surely understand where you are coming from.

I guess? Maybe those downward schools where he could play were not large research institutions with well known business and ag programs. I surely understand where you are coming from.
You don't need any kind of specialized degree to work in business, ag or otherwise. Any bachelor's will do, quite frankly. You learn what you actually need to learn on the job. Internships are marvelous things.

Truly, what is the possible motivation of a player like this to come here?

You know you aren't playing, unless the starter gets hurt. Don't you want to play?

It's one thing to be a backup in the NFL and get paid to do it. That makes sense. College ... don't you just want to play? Isn't that the point? Why would any college player just want to be on a team to just put a uniform on and say you were on the roster?

That's why, it all worked back when things were sane. You know, like five years ago. Young guys were the depth. They knew their time was coming. Just had to bide their time, learn from the older guys.

That's how it should be. But that's not how it works anymore ...
One play away from being a starting QB in the Big Ten, chance to prove himself at the highest level, school has a major he is interested in, not enough transfer spots available to land a guaranteed starting spot.....could be any one of a million different options.

You don't need any kind of specialized degree to work in business, ag or otherwise. Any bachelor's will do, quite frankly. You learn what you actually need to learn on the job. Internships are marvelous things.
The point I’m trying to make is that maybe there are motivations beyond being QB1. Sure, if he’s a competitor he’ll push to make the team better and maybe opportunities will fall his way, but maybe he’s got aspirations beyond football.

He's a backup at a G5 school who has seen limited action. As I posted in another thread, underwhelming pick. Stats are OK. More INTs than TDs.
This isn't the draft. We're not picking him, he's picking us. And beggars can't be choosers. This isn't exactly QBU and we already have a commitment for our as-close-to-guaranteed-as-it-gets starter. Where is a whelming guy that's willing to to come in with a guarantee of only having at best a limited spot as #2 QB on the depth chart.

I’m good with this, it was a hard spot to sell, they needed an experienced QB2 and he fits the bill. He also backed up a couple of pretty good QBs at Fresno St, he’s not without some talent. He also buys some time to develop Lindsay.
Yes, he's Kramer's replacement.

One play away from being a starting QB in the Big Ten, chance to prove himself at the highest level, school has a major he is interested in, not enough transfer spots available to land a guaranteed starting spot.....could be any one of a million different options.

A Jeff Tedford recruit. While at Cal he saw something in another lightly recruited QB at Butte Community college a few decades ago. Some time later made waves in the NFL. Both from NorCal. Never say never…maybe Fife is a similar diamond in the rough if Brosmer goes down.

Ultimately, the possibilities and potential are what keep us coming back. This is sports entertainment.

I really don't get this one. I'd be more than fine with him coming in as the backup if we had a nice class of '22 or '23 QB on the roster in addition to Brosmer. It is nice to have someone who has started college games as your backup. The line of thinking I've read is that Minnesota couldn't do any better than Fife in the portal because they were not offering a chance to compete for the starting job. My counter to that is this has to be the most wide open power 5 QB job for the '25 season in the country. Max will be graduating and the only competitor for the starting job will be a (likely) redshirt freshman in Drake Lindsey. The 3rd string guy who is a former 4-5 star type at a school like USC could come to Minnesota and be one hit away from starting power 5 games and be the favorite to start in '25. That seems like a pretty appealing proposition. On paper, Brosmer seems like a low upside add that you hope can get you through a game or two without the wheels falling off similar to some of the journeyman backup QB's in the NFL. Again, I don't have a problem with that in theory but it's almost mandatory we go back to the portal for our starter in '25 because of the lack of potential in the QB room. In that case we need to hope that Brosmer has a good '24 season and makes it an appealing proposition for another QB to transfer here and follow in his footsteps.

I think Fife is a sneaky good pickup. Certainly not a superstar but a kid who seems to know his role and has a experience. Look at the NFL, you need a backup qb who can spot start. Lindsey not likely ready next year in case of injury. And if he has 2 years left a little insurance for Lindsley. It's not a sexy name but I think it's a solid player.

Nice pickup. And from the Lindsey perspective, it is good to allow him a little time to accliamte to colelge life and college ball.

I think Fife is a sneaky good pickup. Certainly not a superstar but a kid who seems to know his role and has a experience. Look at the NFL, you need a backup qb who can spot start. Lindsey not likely ready next year in case of injury. And if he has 2 years left a little insurance for Lindsley. It's not a sexy name but I think it's a solid player.
Yep, QB room was really thin so another option was needed. Wisconsin had to do the same thing last year. You aren't going to be able to find a high end guy willing to come in and be the backup so a guy like Fife makes a ton of sense as someone willing to be a backup but who in a pinch should be able to at least provide competent QB play.

He's a backup at a G5 school who has seen limited action. As I posted in another thread, underwhelming pick. Stats are OK. More INTs than TDs.
I think it's an important caveat that he was a backup due to a good QB room at Fresno State. Jake Haener was just drafted in the 4th round and the guy who replaced him, Mikey Keene, is no slouch either (stats below). 1702912735849.png

Barring last minute changes we head into Spring Ball with a FCS Heisman finalist, a back-up with more experience than our current back-up, a PWO and a True Freshman quality HS kid (not sure if Lindsey is a January enrollee).

That's better than this past season.

Truly, what is the possible motivation of a player like this to come here?

You know you aren't playing, unless the starter gets hurt. Don't you want to play?

It's one thing to be a backup in the NFL and get paid to do it. That makes sense. College ... don't you just want to play? Isn't that the point? Why would any college player just want to be on a team to just put a uniform on and say you were on the roster?

That's why, it all worked back when things were sane. You know, like five years ago. Young guys were the depth. They knew their time was coming. Just had to bide their time, learn from the older guys.

That's how it should be. But that's not how it works anymore ...
Education reasons? Fleck reasons? Two years left reason behind a guy that has 1 year left? Two Freshmen behind you? P5 opportunity?

We seem to forget young players usually improve over time. Maybe two years from now after another year of development behind a starter, he is actually pretty good. Isn't he similar to what AK would have been for us if he'd stayed? A depth QB that could POTENTIALLY start at the P5 level if he works out some bugs? It is certainly not guaranteed Lindsey works out by his year two or at all.

Top Bottom