Lindsay Whalen Steps Down - Effective Immediately

Man, every burned-out coach becomes a special assistant.
You want your check? You at least have to show up. At least in Lindsey's case it make some sense. She can still be an "Ambassador" etc.

Her buyout would have been peanuts as she was making 550,000-600,000 a year. That's nothing!
I assume though that she will still be making that money as the special assistant to Coyle until April 2025.

Congrats to the new coach who will have four "year zero" seasons, as is Gopher bball tradition.
Congrats to you for continuing your tired act of Eeyoring that stopped being creative 5 years ago.

Now run along and slurp Wisconsin and look for reasons the hockey team isn't good enough. Maybe you can get banned from here too. :unsure::ROFLMAO:

Big news that affects Gopher basketball as a whole, worth having a thread that looks at it from the MBB side as well. This most assuredly means CBJ isn't going anywhere this year (not that anybody thought that would happen anyway).
Not that I think it's means a huge amount either way, but I would think Whalen being gone makes it more likely Johnson is gone too. Would have been hard to fire Ben with Whalen sticking around after her underwhelming performance.

Maybe this was done today to bury the news that Asuma is going to announce a school that is not the gophers (that disappointing news would be buried under the Whalen resigns headline)...counter point...maybe they know Asuma is signing and will use his signing to counter balance this clunker of a news story (Whalen)
Put your money where your mouth is.

Asuma commits to MN, you leave until the day of the first MN football 🏈 game this fall.

If Asuma commits to Any other school besides MN, I leave until the day of the first MN football 🏈 game this fall.

Are you a man or a ____?

as alluded to in some comments, this is part of the announcement.

Athletic director Mark Coyle said Whalen will stay on as a special assistant to the athletics director through April 12, 2025.

my gut tells me this was negotiated as a way of minimizing the buyout. instead of a buyout, Whalen basically gets a salary to do........something......for two years.

as for what it means to the men, well:

the Gophers had two struggling basketball programs. with the Women hiring a new coach, the focus will likely shift even more to the Men's program. the new Women's coach will at least get some kind of honeymoon period.

and whether it's intentional or not, it will be seen as Coyle sending a signal to Ben - produce better results or you're next.

Asuma commits to MN, you leave until the day of the first MN football 🏈 game this fall.

If Asuma commits to Any other school besides MN, I leave until the day of the first MN football 🏈 game this fall.

Are you a man or a ____?
I didn't make a prediction in my comment. I said it can go either way. Did you read the comment?

I didn't make a prediction in my comment. I said it can go either way. Did you read the comment?
Per my doctor’s instructions, I only read half of what you post, as the rest is basically more farcical commentary.

The bet still stands, come on, we all know you already have another account on here , and that this iteration is just a parody of that amazingness.

I

Are you a man or a ____
Let's change the wager a little...since I like the board too much.

If he commits elsewhere, you make a $50 dollar donation to a Sophie's Squad.

If he commits to the Gophers, I will make a $50 dollar donation to a charity of your choice.

yeah, this has literally nothing to do with MENS basketball but ok
I respectfully disagree. Hiring a new coach is a big process, no matter the sport. If CBJ were to be let go, it would be right after the loss on Weakling Wednesday. I don't see Coyle wanting to go through that process for two different coaches at the same time. You can make the argument that the athletic department should be competent enough to do that, but in reality, it wouldn't surprise me if that was part of the equation.

I respectfully disagree. Hiring a new coach is a big process, no matter the sport. If CBJ were to be let go, it would be right after the loss on Weakling Wednesday. I don't see Coyle wanting to go through that process for two different coaches at the same time. You can disagree that they should be competent enough to do that, but in reality, it wouldn't surprise me if that was part of the equation.
bulk discount from the firm they hire to do the initial search and backgrounds.

Maybe this was done today to bury the news that Asuma is going to announce a school that is not the gophers (that disappointing news would be buried under the Whalen resigns headline)...counter point...maybe they know Asuma is signing and will use his signing to counter balance this clunker of a news story (Whalen)
I'm surprised they didn't wait and try to fit this in the "Friday news dump" and announce this at 4pm tomorrow. A lot less publicity.

I respectfully disagree. Hiring a new coach is a big process, no matter the sport. If CBJ were to be let go, it would be right after the loss on Weakling Wednesday. I don't see Coyle wanting to go through that process for two different coaches at the same time. You can make the argument that the athletic department should be competent enough to do that, but in reality, it wouldn't surprise me if that was part of the equation.
This is only Bens second year vs. 5 or 6 for Whalen

I

Let's change the wager a little...since I like the board too much.

If he commits elsewhere, you make a $50 dollar donation to a Sophie's Squad.

If he commits to the Gophers, I will make a $50 dollar donation to a charity of your choice.
Agreed and a much better idea 😃

Mine is -

Last edited:

If they were going to fire Ben, they are going to do it regardless. Unless Ben is taking the Women's basketball job, or Lindsay is taking Ben out the door with her, then this topic belongs only in the WOMEN'S BASKETBALL FORUM. Are they not talking about it there? I'm confused.

I was of the belief that Ben Johnson was getting at least 4 years no matter what and probably a 5th year.

The firing of Whalen makes me think 3 years for sure with Johnson but a 4th year isn’t a guarantee.

Not that I think it's means a huge amount either way, but I would think Whalen being gone makes it more likely Johnson is gone too. Would have been hard to fire Ben with Whalen sticking around after her underwhelming performance.
This was my first thought, too.

Top Bottom