Lindsay Whalen Steps Down - Effective Immediately

Big news that affects Gopher basketball as a whole, worth having a thread that looks at it from the MBB side as well. This most assuredly means CBJ isn't going anywhere this year (not that anybody thought that would happen anyway).
It doesn't mean anything regarding men's basketball. Ben could choose to step down at anytime, if he wished.
Whalen has been here longer and is burned out. I don't see Ben being burned out. He has a plan that he wants to fulfill. But, it is possible that Coyle establishes a gracious way out for Ben as he has done for Whalen since both are Minnesota Alumns.

Big news that affects Gopher basketball as a whole, worth having a thread that looks at it from the MBB side as well. This most assuredly means CBJ isn't going anywhere this year (not that anybody thought that would happen anyway).
Good decision that prevents the U from embarrassing an icon publicly.

Not sure it makes any difference on Ben’s situation though. Why would they be linked? Lots of reasons Ben stays but what’s happening on the women’s side isn’t connected.

Not sure it makes any difference on Ben’s situation though. Why would they be linked? Lots of reasons Ben stays but what’s happening on the women’s side isn’t connected.
Only if you ignore the losing.

yeah, this has literally nothing to do with MENS basketball but ok

Side-eye towards Ben going on.

Would Musselman or Dutcher take this job?

It doesn't mean anything regarding men's basketball. Ben could choose to step down at anytime, if he wished.
Whalen has been here longer and is burned out. I don't see Ben being burned out. He has a plan that he wants to fulfill. But, it is possible that Coyle establishes a gracious way out for Ben as he has done for Whalen since both are Minnesota Alumns.
Mebbe he could make a lateral move and become women’s new head coach?🤔

Maybe this was done today to bury the news that Asuma is going to announce a school that is not the gophers (that disappointing news would be buried under the Whalen resigns headline)...counter point...maybe they know Asuma is signing and will use his signing to counter balance this clunker of a news story (Whalen)

Maybe this was done today to bury the news that Asuma is going to announce a school that is not the gophers (that disappointing news would be buried under the Whalen resigns headline)...counter point...maybe they know Asuma is signing and will use his signing to counter balance this clunker of a news story (Whalen)
She was 32-58 in the big 10

Why are you calling this a clunker of a news story?

She was 32-58 in the big 10

Why are you calling this a clunker of a news story?
Everything is timing related. I personally think she should've been fired so I have no issue with the headline of the day. But there are many apologists out there who take the same track as the CBJ apologists...she is learning...her team is young...she has good recruits coming in...1 more year... - this story hurts them

Everything is timing related. I personally think she should've been fired so I have no issue with the headline of the day. But there are many apologists out there who take the same track as the CBJ apologists...she is learning...her team is young...she has good recruits coming in...1 more year... - this story hurts them
So it's a great news story, or a clunker?

Based on what you posted, it's great.

He's probably not going anywhere, but if anything this makes his departure marginally more likely as the U now presumably doesn't have to pay Lindsey a buyout.

So it's a great news story, or a clunker?

Based on what you posted, it's great.
great for me personally, Clunker for CBJ / Whalen apologists. Most likely great for people who want put the women's program above the coach (this was the necessary move)

He's probably not going anywhere, but if anything this makes his departure marginally more likely as the U now presumably doesn't have to pay Lindsey a buyout.
Her buyout would have been peanuts as she was making 550,000-600,000 a year. That's nothing!

Top Bottom