Limegrover: “I think our receivers know we recruited three phenomenal freshmen”

You should try watching some of the games and open practices. Leidner had some great drives last year as a RS Freshman with almost no experience. In particular, a great drive against Michigan and, of course, the 4th qtr of the bowl game. He would have won that game for us if the special teams hadn't allowed a run back. As it was he took the game down to the last play.

In the spring practices so far Mitch has looked very good. He can throw an accurate long ball. We haven't seen that in Minnesota since Cory Sauter (sp?).

After summer workouts, 30 practices in the fall, and 4 non-conference games (which minnesota will win), Mitch will enter the B10 as a very good QB - a real threat.

I was at several spring practice and came away with the same conclusion as you did. The lack of patience here is something to behold.

if you ask Jk to list one position ....

he would state the QB is the most important position in creating a winning football team. My guess is that JK pushes his qbs all the time, everday and everyway. 4 yrs in- this qb sitch for JK is a nightmare and he knows it.

if you ask Jk to list one position ....

he would state the QB is the most important position in creating a winning football team. My guess is that JK pushes his qbs all the time, everday and everyway. 4 yrs in- this qb sitch for JK is a nightmare and he knows it.

Ok Mitch will do fine if his decision making processing improves if not then we will be looking for another QB

Neither Isaiah Gentry or Conner Krizancic had really significant offers. Both players had MAC offers and Conner was committed to Cincinnati (best offer either guy had), so for a Big Ten program landing these guys shouldn't be a milestone. Now I know Gentry reportedly would have had better offers if more teams were willing/able to wait on some hurdles he had to clear and maybe Conner would have gotten some more offers if he wasn't a Cincinnati commit. This staff recruited a lot of guys at wide receiver this past recruiting cycle and their wasn't a lot of interest in playing in this offense. They did a very good job of finding some guys who could be quality guys and getting them committed very late in the recruiting cycle. Limegrover makes it sound like we beat a number of B1G and SEC schools for these kids, which simply did not happen.

Gentry is a stud and a big time commit. Easily one of our top 3-4 recruits that we signed. We are very fortunate that he didn't have better offers.

Please tell us how patient we should be? It's year 4 now, and the passing game has consistently left something to be desired. (I'm being generous).

Leidner started in the program at the same time Nelson did, so this was year #3 of spring ball. Can anyone honestly say he has the look of someone who can lead us to 8+ wins this year? Hopefully McKinzy or Streveler are ready to roll when the B1G season starts...

Y
To the best of my knowledge, the only two players to score four TDs in a single game at any level are Mitch Leidner and Al Bundy. I'd say Mitch is legit.

You'd say ML is legit because he RUSHED for 4 Tds against a crappy non-BCS team? Did you watch his happy feet while he tried to get it near a WR during the spring game. Nelson was a crappy QB, but there was a reason he was playing in front of ML all year, when healthy. Just an embarrassment this staff is fielding this collection of QBs entering their 4th yr with the program.

Y

You'd say ML is legit because he RUSHED for 4 Tds against a crappy non-BCS team? Did you watch his happy feet while he tried to get it near a WR during the spring game. Nelson was a crappy QB, but there was a reason he was playing in front of ML all year, when healthy. Just an embarrassment this staff is fielding this collection of QBs entering their 4th yr with the program.

You should tell the coaches where the "good QB tree" is.

And Nelson did not play in front of Leidner all year, he was benched multiple times for Leidner.

Liedner is 6-4, 235 and runs a 4.6 according to Limegrover(although probably exaggerated a little bit.) He was only a freshman last year in his first year of college football as well. He is legit. Did you honestly expect him to throw for 300 a game anyways?

Upnorth, excellent dark comedy. About as dark as it gets. Fargo-ish? Christian Bale; can you see anyone else in that role?

Looks like we will have 3 results at the end of next season.

1) Team "Leidner is a worthless fumbler " is vindicated

2) Team "Leidner is going to be the best QB in modern gopher history" is vindicated

3) Both camps still in bitter disagreement after Leidner fails to win the Heisman trophy or throw for 35 TDs

I predict choice "3" because let's face it, we like to argue.

Upnorth, excellent dark comedy. About as dark as it gets. Fargo-ish? Christian Bale; can you see anyone else in that role?

2) Team "Leidner is going to be the best QB in modern gopher history" is vindicated

3) Both camps still in bitter disagreement after Leidner fails to win the Heisman trophy or throw for 35 TDs

thanks for bringing some reason to the board

Y

I'd say Mitch is legit because I was being sarcastic. No wait, I actually believe that the only players at any level of football to score 4 TDs in a single game are a Gophers QB and #33 for the fictional Polk High Panthers.

Rational Post Alert:

There is no national or conference award for the best-performing QB in spring practice.

It's utterly amazing how people can get all worked up over things that haven't happened yet. Whether it's this board, the B-ball board, politics, etc...

Typical Pessimist said:
"I'm really mad about something that I think might happen in four and a half months."

That's what this boils down to... Come down from the ledge. Many are projecting how they THINK our QB situation will be based on performance in practice - four months before the season starts.

If this isn't an issue of projecting performances onto next season, and there are people who are truly mad about spring game performances, then I think some of you take your football a little too seriously.

This is one negative about the spring game, it's just one day yet fans make generalizations about a player based on one little scrimmage. Multiple media members, coaches, and fans have said how sharp Mitch has looked this spring in other practices and scrimmages. But because the one time he was on tv and had a tough day, the sky is falling already for the season. Step away from the ledge people.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

This is one negative about the spring game, it's just one day yet fans make generalizations about a player based on one little scrimmage. Multiple media members, coaches, and fans have said how sharp Mitch has looked this spring in other practices and scrimmages. But because the one time he was on tv and had a tough day, the sky is falling already for the season. Step away from the ledge people.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

That's the beauty of haters, though. People who will never like Leidner no matter what he does (*cough* John Galt *cough*) will pounce all over his spring game performance and talk about how they hope that the backups are ready, because clearly it's a foregone conclusion that Leidner won't be starting for long due to his terrible performance. On the other hand, had he gone 24-24 for 350 yards and 4 TDs, they can spin it and say, "Settle down, let's wait to see how he performs in a real game." Gotta love it - spin the actual reality to fit your own "reality" any way you can.

I seem to remember both Nelson and Leidner looking pretty good in last years spring game, but both struggled throwing the ball throughout the year. I'm hoping Leidner can take the next step and be consistent game in and game out, but it's hard to tell from a handful of spring practices and the scrimmage. It should help him when we get our OL healthy in the fall, and hopefully one of the freshman WRs can make an impact. My money is on Holland - he looks like a game changer. Maybe Edwards can take some heat off too if the coaches utilize RB/WR screens or bubbles with him.

As much as I enjoy a rare Leidner v. Nelson thread, I'll comment on the thread topic.

IMO, unless there is some big surprise in camp - MHjr plays as a true Fr and both IG & CK redshirt. I'm basing that some on talent, but mainly on size readiness for the B1G. I think the latter two need a year to develop physically.

The bad news is that the WR and Leidner are young. The good news is that if they continue to improve, they are young. I'm thinking the TE's will play a very big role in our passing game and hopefully one or two of the WRs really step up. Of course, Leidner is the linchpin in the offense and he will need to consistently hit his stride if we want to take the next step.

Go Gophers!

If we give Leidner time to throw the ball without someone in his face every time, then we'll be fine and will have a B1G worthy passing game next year. He'll be better, our WRs will be better but none of that matters if we can't give the QB time.

Rational Post Alert:

There is no national or conference award for the best-performing QB in spring practice.

It's utterly amazing how people can get all worked up over things that haven't happened yet. Whether it's this board, the B-ball board, politics, etc...

That's what this boils down to... Come down from the ledge. Many are projecting how they THINK our QB situation will be based on performance in practice - four months before the season starts.

If this isn't an issue of projecting performances onto next season, and there are people who are truly mad about spring game performances, then I think some of you take your football a little too seriously.

This post explains better than any other post what has really been occurring here since the spring game. I call it the "chicken little" syndrome but your post nailed it. Thanks for saying it so clearly.

That's the beauty of haters, though. People who will never like Leidner no matter what he does (*cough* John Galt *cough*) will pounce all over his spring game performance and talk about how they hope that the backups are ready, because clearly it's a foregone conclusion that Leidner won't be starting for long due to his terrible performance. On the other hand, had he gone 24-24 for 350 yards and 4 TDs, they can spin it and say, "Settle down, let's wait to see how he performs in a real game." Gotta love it - spin the actual reality to fit your own "reality" any way you can.

Got it, everyone who questions our ability to win with Leidner is a "hater." I'm glad you didn't try to add anything of substance, since a guy who predicted MarQueis Gray to be all-B1G probably isn't qualified to comment.

I'm not sure what people's expectations are for a Gopher football message board. ** Here's a warning for the thought police: The biggest Gopher football event of the last few months was the spring game, and people might want to discuss what they witnesseed and how they think it may reflect on the up-coming season. If it makes you uncomfortable hearing any negative commentary about Gopher football, please redirect your attention to a different thread.**

Got it, everyone who questions our ability to win with Leidner is a "hater." I'm glad you didn't try to add anything of substance, since a guy who predicted MarQueis Gray to be all-B1G probably isn't qualified to comment.

I'm not sure what people's expectations are for a Gopher football message board. ** Here's a warning for the thought police: The biggest Gopher football event of the last few months was the spring game, and people might want to discuss what they witnesseed and how they think it may reflect on the up-coming season. If it makes you uncomfortable hearing any negative commentary about Gopher football, please redirect your attention to a different thread.**

Negative commentary is fine. Over-the-top ridiculousness and hyperbole is not.

Negative commentary is fine. Over-the-top ridiculousness and hyperbole is not.

I'm not sure what's been over-the-top in this thread. Stating that Streveler and McKinzy need to be ready? Mitch's hard-nosed running style isn't exactly conducive to playing every snap for a full 12 games, so they better be ready even if one believes Mitch will be great this year. And I realize that isn't what I was alluding to.

I watched the scrimmage again last night and, besides Dave Lee and BTN's comical inability to recognize the proper qb, Leidner had some nice throws and some obvious miscommunications and a few clunkers. Not as bad as my first impression.

I suppose it's the power of expectations. We expected to see 70 yard td bombs and precision crossing routes and it wasn't that. It was more of the same type of routes we saw last year.

We'll be fine.

Well... To be fair. He's still a worthless fumbler until proven otherwise.

Top Bottom