Limegrover: “I think our receivers know we recruited three phenomenal freshmen”

100% Gopher Fan. Never been to an 11:00am kickoff but I'm ready. Being that the games are so early I was wondering if fans will tailgate? This will be my first year in attendance.

Welcome aboard BigGuy! I hope you will be a Gopher fan for a long time.

100% Gopher Fan. Never been to an 11:00am kickoff but I'm ready. Being that the games are so early I was wondering if fans will tailgate? This will be my first year in attendance.

Regarding the questions about the offense: Let's accept the proposition that Kill and Limegrover are not idiots. Let's also accept the proposition that they have had successful offenses at other programs.

So, it comes down to this: have they:
A. forgotten everything they know about running an offense?
B. decided to run an offense that makes it harder to win games?
C. just not had the personnel they want/need to make their offense click?

I think the answer (for me, at least) is C. Kill has repeatedly said that they needed 3 recruiting cycles to turn over the roster. I think this year will tell us a lot more about the type of offense they want to run, and whether it will be successful in the B1G. But, if anyone is waiting for the Gophs to turn into Air Coryell, forget it. This is going to be a run-based offense. Establish the run 1st, then try to find holes in the defense to complete passes.

Personally, if they can win games without throwing a single pass, I'm fine with that. If they need to throw the ball to win, then they had better find a way to throw the ball - and I'm reasonably confident they will be able to throw the ball enough to keep defenses honest.

Is it possible that Jerry's offense that he ran in mid major conferences doesn't work well in the B1G 10? I'm not saying thats what I feel, I just think it could be a factor.

I still think we are going to struggle throwing the ball getting the QBs we've been getting. However, if we can just throw it efficiently and run the ball as effective as we did at times last year, we will be fine.

Defense and run the ball with a sprinkle of pass and flash. Hate to say it, but its just like Wisconsin has done for years, we've just added the mobile QB to the mix as well.

Is it possible that Jerry's offense that he ran in mid major conferences doesn't work well in the B1G 10? I'm not saying thats what I feel, I just think it could be a factor.

I still think we are going to struggle throwing the ball getting the QBs we've been getting. However, if we can just throw it efficiently and run the ball as effective as we did at times last year, we will be fine.

Defense and run the ball with a sprinkle of pass and flash. Hate to say it, but its just like Wisconsin has done for years, we've just added the mobile QB to the mix as well.

So I actually posted the same type of question after Northern Illinois got blown out in the Orange Bowl a couple of years ago against the Seminoles. I know the comparison isn't entirely the same but I watched that game and wondered really the same thing that was stated. "Can Kill's offense be successful in the Big 10 against some of the best defenses in the country?" I'm still not sure. I love what Kill has been able to do in a couple of years, especially on defense. But I am still concerned about the offense as it puts a lot of pressure on the QB. Asking out QBs to be successful running the ball 10-15 times a game and taking a physical beating and then on a 3 and 8 situation we expect them to be able to hit a receiver on the numbers. I just don't know if it will work. Will I take 8 wins a year with this type of offense? Yeah, probably but I just wonder if the type of QBs we recruit can manage the expectations when they are being hit by bigger, faster and stronger players than in the MAC.

Oregon's offense is an easy comparison for people to support the mobile QB concept. However, if you watch their games Mariota is not taking a lot of hits. We ask our QBs to take runs up the gut for 5 yards and take 3-4 hits before they go down. The Ducks don't let him take a lot of shots and granted he is a better athlete then anyone on our roster.

I will eat my words if Kill eventually takes us over the top but just food for thought.

So I actually posted the same type of question after Northern Illinois got blown out in the Orange Bowl a couple of years ago against the Seminoles. I know the comparison isn't entirely the same but I watched that game and wondered really the same thing that was stated. "Can Kill's offense be successful in the Big 10 against some of the best defenses in the country?" I'm still not sure. I love what Kill has been able to do in a couple of years, especially on defense. But I am still concerned about the offense as it puts a lot of pressure on the QB. Asking out QBs to be successful running the ball 10-15 times a game and taking a physical beating and then on a 3 and 8 situation we expect them to be able to hit a receiver on the numbers. I just don't know if it will work. Will I take 8 wins a year with this type of offense? Yeah, probably but I just wonder if the type of QBs we recruit can manage the expectations when they are being hit by bigger, faster and stronger players than in the MAC.

Oregon's offense is an easy comparison for people to support the mobile QB concept. However, if you watch their games Mariota is not taking a lot of hits. We ask our QBs to take runs up the gut for 5 yards and take 3-4 hits before they go down. The Ducks don't let him take a lot of shots and granted he is a better athlete then anyone on our roster.

I will eat my words if Kill eventually takes us over the top but just food for thought.

Kill will have to adapt.

I dont know for sure, but I would venture to guess that he wasn't able to recruit the level of WR he just got in our last recruiting class while at NIU... Now that he has some vertical options, does that open up his QB's options as well. Does he feel he can get away from on 2nd and 8 running the ball up the guy for 4 so he can make 3rd down a running play? Now that he has SOME vertical threats, does that 2nd and 8 play turn into a conservative pass or a sprint type play where the possibility for a 3rd and 8 is still present if the play fails, but he protects his QB a bit more.

It'll be interesting. I think Kill is a smart guy, knows football, and will figure out a way to win. He's done it every step of the way.

Fair question but I think Kill’s offense can be successful and it has been shown at times. Regarding the Orange Bowl, more power to NIU for making it but I don't think they had any business being on the same field as FSU. IMHO, it wouldn't matter what offense they used as they do not match up well talent-wise with FSU. From time to time you'll see some 'lower-tier' program catch one of the helmet schools sleeping especially when they run some unorthodox offense like the option or the all-out every trick play in the book like Boise State did to OSU which was great by the way. However, those live and die offenses die more often than they live. But back to Kill’s offense. He used it effectively at NIU including knocking off one B1G school whose name I won’t mention. I think it has and will consistently work here once they get the right personnel in place. I think what has held it back more than anything is inexperienced QB’s running it and the need for better receivers. Once they get those pieces in place (I think we have the right OL, RB’s, and TE’s), it will take off. Hopefully, Mitch turns it up a notch this fall and we have a couple of receivers breakout this year. I don’t disagree that they may need to tweak it some but I don’t think that it is because they are playing in the B1G but more so because the game evolves over time. So in summary, yes it can work but just needs some finishing touches personnel wise.

Go Gophers!

I would worry more about Kill's offense if it was the opponent's defense that was stopping it! Time after time, we have seen the right play called, only to have the QB miss a wide open receiver or the receiver drop drop the ball when the pass was accurate. It's frustrating to see the offense start to click and stop itself due to a bad pass or drop.

Easy solution. Night before game, go to bed early. Get up at 5 a.m and start your own tailgate. Option 2, start tailgate party Friday night and continue all night. It is sooooooo frikking easy.

I would worry more about Kill's offense if it was the opponent's defense that was stopping it! Time after time, we have seen the right play called, only to have the QB miss a wide open receiver or the receiver drop drop the ball when the pass was accurate. It's frustrating to see the offense start to click and stop itself due to a bad pass or drop.

So what's one to do?? Punt?? At least we do that well.

Fair question but I think Kill’s offense can be successful and it has been shown at times. Regarding the Orange Bowl, more power to NIU for making it but I don't think they had any business being on the same field as FSU. IMHO, it wouldn't matter what offense they used as they do not match up well talent-wise with FSU. From time to time you'll see some 'lower-tier' program catch one of the helmet schools sleeping especially when they run some unorthodox offense like the option or the all-out every trick play in the book like Boise State did to OSU which was great by the way. However, those live and die offenses die more often than they live. But back to Kill’s offense. He used it effectively at NIU including knocking off one B1G school whose name I won’t mention. I think it has and will consistently work here once they get the right personnel in place. I think what has held it back more than anything is inexperienced QB’s running it and the need for better receivers. Once they get those pieces in place (I think we have the right OL, RB’s, and TE’s), it will take off. Hopefully, Mitch turns it up a notch this fall and we have a couple of receivers breakout this year. I don’t disagree that they may need to tweak it some but I don’t think that it is because they are playing in the B1G but more so because the game evolves over time. So in summary, yes it can work but just needs some finishing touches personnel wise.

Go Gophers!

You referenced it a few times in your post in the end it all comes down to talent. The systems that Kill runs can work in the Big Ten if you have enough talent to outplay the guys on the other side of the ball week in and week out. Over the next few seasons we will see if Kill is bringing in enough talent to take that next step towards becoming a legit contender and not just an also ran.

You referenced it a few times in your post in the end it all comes down to talent. The systems that Kill runs can work in the Big Ten if you have enough talent to outplay the guys on the other side of the ball week in and week out. Over the next few seasons we will see if Kill is bringing in enough talent to take that next step towards becoming a legit contender and not just an also ran.

I would say talent and depth.

As you say, we have only had a few play makers on offense in the past and the drop off was huge when we hit layer two. Kill and crew have been rotating players for experience purposes and recruiting pretty talented depth.

I’m just not in favor of rotating QBs. It has been stated many times the wear and tear in the Biggy is scary enough, especially if this position is running a fair amount of the time. Having talent and depth at WR for a change will hopefully save Mitch as our passing game improves.

Talent is important but not the only thing. The talent has to be the right fit for what it is you're trying to do. For example, talent for a spread offense will be different than the talent you might recruit for a power running game. I'd also add experience as being important. Playing a lot of true freshmen and rs freshmen generally is not ideal which is the current situation with our receivers. The offense should be much more effective as our classes balance out and we have older, stronger players who have more experience and understanding with the playbook.

Easy solution. Night before game, go to bed early. Get up at 5 a.m and start your own tailgate. Option 2, start tailgate party Friday night and continue all night. It is sooooooo frikking easy.

Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Some think that Mitch won't be a good enough passer. Who would you think will be the 2nd in line if Mitch doesn't deliver? (I'm hoping he does) just wondering.

Some think that Mitch won't be a good enough passer. Who would you think will be the 2nd in line if Mitch doesn't deliver? (I'm hoping he does) just wondering.

Streveler, most likely.

I've only seen highlights of McKinsey but he looks pretty good. A lil short but strong arm

I've said it before but I'm excited about this class. Holland Jr has a chance to be a great one here. He has the frame and strength of someone I watched a lot a few years back at the metrodome, Cris Carter. Does he have what set carter apart (his sticky hands)?

http://youtu.be/FSVy8P6P7lM

Celestin comes through the line and tackles like The Waterboy. He looks like a playmaker with a nasty streak. Why was he not highly recruited? Size? I hope his buddy Rodney decides to be a two sport athlete at the U. He can always go to the minor leagues down the road after getting an education and more experience in college.

Connor Mayes will be a beast. He will be drafted higher than an Alabama recruit who shan't be named.

I can't agree with you more. It's gonna be interesting to see how our passing game will be with this new received crop. This entire class should be a difference in out future

Top Bottom