Leidner

Only problem is, we still have no receivers and a very average OLine. So that won't help that much either. But boy does Nelson look lost. I haven't seen such a vacant stare since Weber was around...

we can't run the ball.. we are down not up... we need to pass a lot

Leidner is taller and a better passer imho. Granted my opinion doesn't count at all. I don't see enough leadership out of Nelson to trust him to bring us back. And if Leidner does come in and do something special, this could be the last game Nelson starts. We'll see...

Yes that is all leidner can do that is why he is on the bench... Nelson was not the problem he had one bad pass that was tipped up... They have not stopped the pass yet the coaches have stopped the passing game by trying to run the ball against a brick wall.

Leidner can run? Everyone can run against SJSU not just Leidner. It is clear through one half of play that the Gopher O-line has not improved enough for any of the coaches to comment on. Bigger, stronger, and in better shape mean nothing if you can't actually block anyone. As far as the QB situation goes if Leidner is in we have zero first downs.

Guys, if Leidner was a better passer don't you think he'd be in the game, and probably started the season as the starter? Sure he looked good running against SJSU, but that defense was undersized and Nelson would've had a lot of success against them too. Unfortunately Nelson is our best option.

It's gonna be a long season then.

Pretty much sums it up, unfortunately. The coaches have been saying since Spring practice that Nelson clearly separated himself from Leidner in the competition -- essentially, that it wasn't really close. So yeah...

Guys, if Leidner was a better passer don't you think he'd be in the game, and probably started the season as the starter? Sure he looked good running against SJSU, but that defense was undersized and Nelson would've had a lot of success against them too. Unfortunately Nelson is our best option.

This is depressing. We are going to have a lot of games against this year where we don't even score 13 points. Same crap different year.

Yes that is all leidner can do that is why he is on the bench... Nelson was not the problem he had one bad pass that was tipped up... They have not stopped the pass yet the coaches have stopped the passing game by trying to run the ball against a brick wall.

Yes he was, he was one of many problems.

I don't know what to do. It is obviously a difficult situation. One thing that I think is sometimes forgotten is that Leidner was not ven the best QB in Lakeville his senior year. The other QB at the other HS was All-Metro, the Metro Player of the Year. I believe his name is Troy Head.

Game Day Performance vs. Practice Performance and Interceptions

Pretty much sums it up, unfortunately. The coaches have been saying since Spring practice that Nelson clearly separated himself from Leidner in the competition -- essentially, that it wasn't really close. So yeah...

MGGopher,

1. I don't know beans about coaching football. All I know is what I have seen on TV. What I have seen on TV is that Leidner is a big, tough, mobile quarterback who can run, and does not throw interceptions. I don't believe he has thrown a single interception this year. Somebody will correct me if I am wrong on that account.

2. We are a team that cannot afford to throw interceptions. I think we threw 2 interceptions today.

3. Regardless how well somebody looks in practice, game day performance is the only metric that matters. IMHO Mitch's game day performance has been very good, if not excellent. Plus, Mitch has yet to throw an interception. I understand that he will, given he stays healthy and plays more, but right now, lack of interceptions thrown, and lack of turnovers on his account are an endearing quality, perhaps a priceless quality.

4. I wonder what the coaches are seeing that I am not.

Leidner fumbled in the end zone once...but you are correct, no interceptions.

Mitch threw 12 passes against SJSU. 5-12. He ran over a weak D. I like him, hope he does well, would not have had an issue with him coming in today (maybe should of), but folks really need to stop romanticizing what he did last week and figuring it proves he us a better QB than Phil. The coaches see them all week, break down film, etc. and feel Phil gives us a better chance to win. Folks that watch one game a week think they know better????

This, guys.

Mitch threw 12 passes against SJSU. 5-12. He ran over a weak D. I like him, hope he does well, would not have had an issue with him coming in today (maybe should of), but folks really need to stop romanticizing what he did last week and figuring it proves he us a better QB than Phil. The coaches see them all week, break down film, etc. and feel Phil gives us a better chance to win. Folks that watch one game a week think they know better????

+100000000. And I think Nelson was terrible today.

Game Day Performance vs. Practice Performance and Interceptions

+100000000. And I think Nelson was terrible today.

John Galt,

1. For the last 6 to 8 months I have been fed a steady weekly diet through the StarTribune and Pioneer Press about how this coaching staff may utilize the dual QB threat (Nelson & Leidner) as they did with Chandler Harnish and Jordan Lynch at NIU. They quoted this coaching staff many times on this line of strategy. So inquiring minds would like to know why they had no confidence in Mitch Leidner today? If they truly believe and embrace the Harnish / Lynch tandem formula, then why did they not exercise it today?

2. I don't follow NIU football as a general rule (except when they play Minnesota), so if I got the names of their dual threat / share playing time QBs wrong, I apologize. I think Mitch Leidner should have been given a chance today. What I saw in the 2nd half is Albert Einstein's definition of insanity in action, "doing the same thing over and over expecting different results."

Only problem is, we still have no receivers and a very average OLine. So that won't help that much either. But boy does Nelson look lost. I haven't seen such a vacant stare since Weber was around...

Receivers were wide open all day. Need a qb to get the them the ball. Engel beat his guy all day

Play calling was brutal. Iowa passes on ist down mad mixes play calls

Coaches also like to fall in love with their guy at the most important position on the field. They usually wait way too long to make a chance. Leidner may not be the answer, but even that one pass to Maye gave me more hope than Nelson has. That is how bad Nelson has been.

Not sure if serious....

He missed so many critical passes, showed he couldn't read the defense or step up in the pocket, and is lucky he didn't end the day with 4 ints. He was the biggest problem today.

Okay...fair point. BUT the coaches should've seen early on that Nelson didn't have "it" today, whether it be rust, lingering injury, etc... and pulled the plug and gotten Leidner in there...at worst, make a switch at halftime.

Top Bottom