Las Vegas Raiders pledge $1,000,000 to UNLV NIL Fund

How would the pro teams benefit from a successful Gopher program? They're all competing for the same finite fan dollars and media attention. Do we think fans would buy more Vikings merchandise because they so appreciate the Vikings paying Gopher players?

Unfortunately we have an AD that hasn't even raised a cent for the athletics facilities since he arrived. Zero confidence he could land an NIL partnership like this. I hope I'm wrong.
Nahh. We got Lou Nanne for that

How would the pro teams benefit from a successful Gopher program? They're all competing for the same finite fan dollars and media attention. Do we think fans would buy more Vikings merchandise because they so appreciate the Vikings paying Gopher players?
I really don't think they are competing with each other.

If you're asking what is the benefit? It's hard to say and I'm not sure if it is enough but it makes you look like a good community member. You run a business that is constantly asking for the public to chip in, I don't think running a NIL collective necessarily hurts in a PR sense. Lets just say Koi Perich comes to the U and we end up being a top 15 football team, I think it's fairly cheap marketing and PR to have him and his buddies tweet while they're attending a Timberwolves game. That kind of thing.

Now, is this enough to get them to spend their money? I don't know. I try not to tell other people how they should spend their money.

If you're asking what is the benefit? It's hard to say and I'm not sure if it is enough but it makes you look like a good community member. You run a business that is constantly asking for the public to chip in, I don't think running a NIL collective necessarily hurts in a PR sense. Lets just say Koi Perich comes to the U and we end up being a top 15 football team, I think it's fairly cheap marketing and PR to have him and his buddies tweet while they're attending a Timberwolves game. That kind of thing.

Now, is this enough to get them to spend their money? I don't know. I try not to tell other people how they should spend their money.

I agree with everything except the first sentence. They are competing for a finite number of disposable entertainment dollars.

No, probably not. But you never know when your roof is going to collapse or you are going to build a new stadium and you'll need a place to play.

There is a finite number of dollars that sports fans can and will spend on sports entertainment in each market. The TCs are one of the smallest markets to have so many pro teams plus a DI university. I hafta think the sports businesses (and the U is one of them) compete against each other for fan money and media attention. Small example, maybe, but look at the sports merchandise in target. You'll see a long aisle of Vikings jackets, sweaters, etc, and short section of Gopher stuff. People are not apt to buy both. The pro teams giving complimentary tickets to a game to Gopher player-employees is one thing. Paying the Gopher player salaries is another.
Thanks for the civil discussion.

Let’s face it, the Gophers screwed up when the let Denny S leave. Otherwise the Gophers could compete with any helmet school for NIL financing

Let’s face it, the Gophers screwed up when the let Denny S leave. Otherwise the Gophers could compete with any helmet school for NIL financing
Meh. He was holding the U ransom.

One million is nothing to the pro teams

UNLV rents the Raiders' stadium for home games. It's in the Raiders best interest for UNLV to be a relevant program. I would assume that the Raiders profit from better UNLV attendance and relevancy. Little bit different of an ecosystem than what exists here with the Gophers and the pro teams.
Wait, so the Gophers should move back into the Dome? :)

UNLV actually plays its games in Allegiant on artificial turf, not the grass that the Raiders use. That was disco's "interesting bit of trivia." UNLV did play one game earlier this year or last on grass, but going forward will be on the fake stuff except where logistics prevent the transfer.

UNLV back on preferred surface

View attachment 27439

This is correct! That turf field sits (I forget) something like 4-5 feet below the level of the retractable grass field tray that they roll in, similar to what the AZ Cardinals do with their grass in Glendale.

Roll it outside to get that sunlight and grow. Until they f'd it up with the Super Bowl "field turf experts" last year, the Cardinals stadium was routinely voted by NFL players as the best field grass to play on in the league.

I work in finance, I stare at numbers and spreadsheets and currencies all week.

You know what I don't want from my sports? Numbers and spreadsheets and currencies.

I find myself looking for other outlets more and more.

Minnesotans don't throw their entire self worth behind a college sports team, so the money will never be there like it will be for schools where it takes on a form of religious identity. Make sure to tithe your local University!

UNLV rents the Raiders' stadium for home games. It's in the Raiders best interest for UNLV to be a relevant program. I would assume that the Raiders profit from better UNLV attendance and relevancy. Little bit different of an ecosystem than what exists here with the Gophers and the pro teams.
UNLV already has a financial relationship with the Raiders. This is UNLV finding a way to directly fund its own NIL, while making it look like a donation (since finding it themselves is still an NCAA violation). The Raiders get to look like heroes in the process.

Last edited:

UNLV already has a financial relationship with the Raiders. This is UNLV finding a way to directly fund its own NIL, while making it look like a donation (since finding it themselves is still an NCAA violation). The Raiders get to look like heroes in the process.
Or it is money that is being donated to the athletic department to fund any one of a million things that has nothing to do with NIL. The only mention of NIL in all this is the thread title which should be changed since it isn't accurate.

Top Bottom