Las Vegas Raiders pledge $1,000,000 to UNLV NIL Fund

HoustonTXGopher

Reaction score
Brilliant! The Vikings, Twins, Wild and Wolves organization could easily lead the charge to help Dinkytown Athletes support our Gopher athletes. I think this is a winning situation for all parties involved. Would love to hear some ideas on how all sides could benefit from donations from the hometown pro teams.

Brilliant! The Vikings, Twins, Wild and Wolves organization could easily lead the charge to help Dinkytown Athletes support our Gopher athletes. I think this is a winning situation for all parties involved. Would love to hear some ideas on how all sides could benefit from donations from the hometown pro teams.
Wow! I had not heard that. The Raiders have been very good to the Las Vegas community as far as I can tell. Mark Davis walks the walk. https://apnews.com/article/raiders-unlv-mark-davis-barry-odom-c7969f4f156062e8379916836bce6ec8

Getting more and more out of control by the day.
Very true and it all is negative for the U of M and a lot of the other middling programs. Inevitably, the wealthy successful top 40 or so will break away (maybe even from the NCAA) and form their own league, a kind of semi-pro league. The NCAA was right about the folly of paying players and the Supreme Court, in another of its noblesse oblige moments, was dead wrong. Getting rid of the open portal would be a nice reform - at least it's possible.

Mark Coyle will have these million dollar NIL partnerships deals put together with our local sports teams by: 1. The end of 2023. 2. The end of 2024. 3. The new AD will make it a priority.
4. % chance it might not happen? 10% 25% 50% 100% ... it seems like a pretty easy negotiation? Certainly should happen with the Vikings. Almost as easy with the T-Wolves/Lynx. Glen Taylor still owns the team...easier now than ever to tap an outgoing goodwill expense.
Seems too easy to get those two deals done with precedence in place!??

Unfortunately we have an AD that hasn't even raised a cent for the athletics facilities since he arrived. Zero confidence he could land an NIL partnership like this. I hope I'm wrong.

I think it’s inconceivable to hear so many on here bemoan that we’re part of the have nots. If we don’t have a stock pile of NIL for these kids that’s on Coyle and PJ. The net worth of our alumni, and all of the corporations in town cumulatively it should be easy pickin’s to have a very robust NIL program in place. Get to work.

I think it’s inconceivable to hear so many on here bemoan that we’re part of the have nots. If we don’t have a stock pile of NIL for these kids that’s on Coyle and PJ. The net worth of our alumni, and all of the corporations in town cumulatively it should be easy pickin’s to have a very robust NIL program in place. Get to work.
Would need a new AD first IMO.

Very true and it all is negative for the U of M and a lot of the other middling programs. Inevitably, the wealthy successful top 40 or so will break away (maybe even from the NCAA) and form their own league, a kind of semi-pro league. The NCAA was right about the folly of paying players and the Supreme Court, in another of its noblesse oblige moments, was dead wrong. Getting rid of the open portal would be a nice reform - at least it's possible.
If UNLV isn’t a middling program, I don’t know what is.

The Gophers are a founding member of a league awash in TV money, and poised to emerge from the current power five into the power two.

If despite all that, the Gophers still become the little train that can’t, count me out.

I have always enjoyed college athletics and over the past 20 years I have grown to greatly prefer it over pro sports. But make no mistake, if college football ends up with only 40 programs in some sort of elite feeder league, you can count me out. I’d have zero interest watching Alabama vs Ohio State if the Gophers were folded out of any contention. I’d have the same interest in college football that I currently have with AAA baseball. And I’m pretty sure I wouldn’t be alone. Watch those TV contracts dry up when only 40 college fan bases care.

But that is the thing. They were actually willing to shrink college football games to expand advertising. What will they be willing to do to save the game and protect ALL their advertising $$$$.

The Gophers are a founding member of a league awash in TV money, and poised to emerge from the current power five into the power two.

If despite all that, the Gophers still become the little train that can’t, count me out.

I have always enjoyed college athletics and over the past 20 years I have grown to greatly prefer it over pro sports. But make no mistake, if college football ends up with only 40 programs in some sort of elite feeder league, you can count me out. I’d have zero interest watching Alabama vs Ohio State if the Gophers were folded out of any contention. I’d have the same interest in college football that I currently have with AAA baseball. And I’m pretty sure I wouldn’t be alone. Watch those TV contracts dry up when only 40 college fan bases care.

But that is the thing. They were actually willing to shrink college football games to expand advertising. What will they be willing to do to save the game and protect ALL their advertising $$$$.

To be fair, this has been going on over 40 years

The only one of the four major pro teams that's locally owned at this point is the Twins.

I only see they are donating to athletics, not to an NIL collective.

UNLV rents the Raiders' stadium for home games. It's in the Raiders best interest for UNLV to be a relevant program. I would assume that the Raiders profit from better UNLV attendance and relevancy. Little bit different of an ecosystem than what exists here with the Gophers and the pro teams.

Time to put all those #OneMN posts by all the pro teams to the test.....

UNLV rents the Raiders' stadium for home games. It's in the Raiders best interest for UNLV to be a relevant program. I would assume that the Raiders profit from better UNLV attendance and relevancy. Little bit different of an ecosystem than what exists here with the Gophers and the pro teams.
Interesting bit of trivia.
UNLV plays on artificial turf.
The Raiders play on one of those slide out grass tray fields like the Arizona Cardinals do.

The negativity around what Coyle or Minnesota CAN do is just out of control. The U is going to figure this out - the corporations are going to step up. At least, that's my glass-half-full belief at this point.

Ah, an overt effort to turn cfb into a farm league system. Impressive. View attachment 27436
One of the only realistic paths to an 8th Gopher National Championship in college football is CFB becoming an overt NFL farm system.

It's the unlikely yet increasingly possible scenario where sharing a city with the Vikings goes from being a headwind into a massive tailwind.

Unless it's a situation where the college is renting facilities from the pro team (e.g., the old days when we used the Vikings stadium), the local pro-teams and local college(s) are in competition for fans and advertising dollars. I don't see any of the MN pro teams making big contributions to Gopher sports.

CFB has been an NFL farm system for some time now.
Agree. The NFL could blow up college football right now if it was to their advantage financially, but it's not. Unlike baseball and hockey (and basketball to some extent now that there's the G-League), the NFL has a free feeder system where other entities throughout the country are doing the scouting and development of future NFL players.

That is what I’m seeing also after just a little bit of research. Not seeing NIL
lol....yeah....it is money to the athletic department....zero mention of NIL. Would make no sense for the Raiders to give money to a college teams NIL collective unless they planned to use the players in advertising which would be stupid since you know....they have a locker room full of far more famous NFL players and all that. :)

lol....yeah....it is money to the athletic department....zero mention of NIL. Would make no sense for the Raiders to give money to a college teams NIL collective unless they planned to use the players in advertising which would be stupid since you know....they have a locker room full of far more famous NFL players and all that. :)

The White Sox have an NIL program where they pay college athletes for promotions. CRAB participated. I imagine it's pretty small scale.

Chris Autman-Bell partners with White Sox

Interesting bit of trivia.
UNLV plays on artificial turf.
The Raiders play on one of those slide out grass tray fields like the Arizona Cardinals do.
UNLV plays its home games on the Raider's "real" grass. When does UNLV play on artificial turf? Practices?

UNLV plays its home games on the Raider's "real" grass. When does UNLV play on artificial turf? Practices?
UNLV actually plays its games in Allegiant on artificial turf, not the grass that the Raiders use. That was disco's "interesting bit of trivia." UNLV did play one game earlier this year or last on grass, but going forward will be on the fake stuff except where logistics prevent the transfer.

UNLV back on preferred surface

images.jpg

Last edited:

The only one of the four major pro teams that's locally owned at this point is the Twins.
I would consider Leipold local. For sure Coyle and Motzko should be wooing him for Dinkytown dollars. I'm sure the Wilfs would cough up some $$ if asked. Maybe Gophs could get Ryan Reynolds involved...

Top Bottom