Kris K in the portal

no stress. i assume the gopher mens bball team will suck. if they don't that's all upside. stuff going on now is entertainment

7 seems like a lot to try and bring in and create a team. with CBJ the gophers might end up with a few jack wilson types

the flip side, if you're thinking about bringing in a new coach now might be a good time since there's already a lot of roster turnover - and the buyout goes down April 1

It is what it is at this point.

I can’t see a change now: people seem to forget that the president and the regents would also have to agree to a change. They are generally more patient than the average fan.

I can’t see a change now: people seem to forget that the president and the regents would also have to agree to a change. They are generally more patient than the average fan.
sadly i agree. a missed opportunity

It is what it is at this point.

I would say this- if Coyle is doing his job he is personally exit interviewing the 5 departing players as well as those considering staying (only Hawkins has given assurance). Ben may be dead right here but Coyle needs to find out.

Gotta disagree. Once you let the players run the team, you’ve lost it. You’ll limit your team’s potential. Call it a cheap way to chase out someone that did have the proper makeup.
Agreed.

Payne got a ton of minutes and Carrington got more than he deserved and they’re gone.

Guys buried on the depth chart have been transferring out for years, we just recently started tracking it because of the other portal players.

I would say this- if Coyle is doing his job he is personally exit interviewing the 5 departing players as well as those considering staying (only Hawkins has given assurance). Ben may be dead right here but Coyle needs to find out.

I see your point, but I’d be more concerned if any of our Big3 left or Asuma opted out.

I’m also not basing my decision making process on the feedback of 19/20 year old young adults, who may have an axe to grind.

Lastly, if PP was staying there’d be very little angst today.

Last edited:

Ben's recruits who didn't last:

HS
Henley - 1 and out
Carrington- 2 and out
JOJ- 2 and out
Payne- 2 and out
Evans - 0 and out (can't blame Ben for that one)
Keinys -1 and out

Inherited players -
Thompson - 1 and out
Ihnen - 1 and out (played 1)

Portal guys
Battle 2 and out
Thiam 1 and out
Ogele 1 and out
Cooper 1 and out

Stayers
Willis, Stephens, Sutherlin, Daniels, Samuels, Curry, Big Jack (all one and done)
Pending
Hawkins, Garcia, Betts, Mitchell, Christie, Fox-??????

By my count he has had 25 scholarship players that he signed or kept (Thompson, Ihnen and Curry) and 12 (so far) have left before their eligibility was done.
Only 5 have played 2 years for Ben

HS
Henley - 1 and out
Carrington- 2 and out
JOJ- 2 and out
Payne- 2 and out
Keinys -1 and out

Inherited players -
Thompson - 1 and out

Portal guys
Battle 2 and out
Thiam 1 and out
Ogele 1 and out
Cooper 1 and out

Stayers
Willis, Stephens, Sutherlin, Daniels, Samuels, Curry, Big Jack (all one and done)
Pending

By my count he has had 25 scholarship players that he signed or kept (Thompson, Ihnen and Curry) and 12 (so far) have left before their eligibility was done.

What a great culture he has created!

This is correct. You have the worst non-conference schedule in the country and you can only find 21 minutes for the kid and 57 minutes for Betts all year? Those kids should have been playing 10 minutes a game in the non-conference and also some minutes in Big Ten games that were blow outs.

I lived in Iowa during the early years of Dr. Tom Davis' tenure. Davis played 10 guys consistently in a platoon system. There's something to be said about that. Let's face it. Ben was playing scared throughout this season, playing for his job. It's tough to build camaraderie when only 7 out of 12 scholarship players are playing in almost all games. Take a chance!

We're sure gonna miss this from Kris K next year

Attachments

• usa-today-8989423.0.jpg
    usa-today-8989423.0.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

Marcus carr and even Devoe Joseph should be considered.

Marcus Carr was Canadian. That doesn't count. He's still American. South Americans consider themselves American. I wasn't a fan when Devoe Joseph played. Where was he from?

Keinys was a late commit (June 20th) when we had an open scholarship. I have no problem taking a low % swing that a complete unknown from overseas may pan out. It appears it did not work out. Frankly I'm glad we are done with this after one year instead of a Gaston Diedhiou situation.

Carrington, JOJ, Henley last year, and Payne do hurt. It is emblematic of his arc as coach that those guys, who were heralded as the foundation of him building this program, withered on the vine and have all departed.

I see your point, but I’d be more concerned if any of our Big3 left or Asuma opted out.

I’m also not basing my decision making process on the feedback of 19/20 year old young adults, who may have an axe to grind.

Lastly, if PP was staying there’d be very little angst today.
Good post right up to the last sentence which might better have read "Lastly, if PP was staying there would still be plenty of manufactured angst over losing other guys who would not have played next year anyway."

Do you really believe WhetherGuy, Barnyard, Spelldoom and the random haters would be so easily mollified?

HS
Henley - 1 and out
Carrington- 2 and out
JOJ- 2 and out
Payne- 2 and out
Keinys -1 and out

Inherited players -
Thompson - 1 and out

Portal guys
Battle 2 and out
Thiam 1 and out
Ogele 1 and out
Cooper 1 and out

Stayers
Pending

Do you have time to look into average player turnover per team the last couple years?

Good post right up to the last sentence which might better have read "Lastly, if PP was staying there would still be plenty of manufactured angst over losing other guys who would not have played next year anyway."

Do you really believe WhetherGuy, Barnyard, Spelldoom and the random haters would be so easily mollified?

I wasn’t referring to that bucket of posters (specified in your last paragraph) as they’ve been on CBJ Disaster Vibe from his hiring as far as I can tell. That’s who they are and why I don’t generally read their posts/interact with them.

I was referring to the mostly positive folks whose dobber is down because of PP’s departure - which I understand because he was one of my favorites and I’ve enjoyed watching his progress. It’s also harder to replace a quality big like PP than wings or guards.

But but but culture. The sophomore class!!!!!

Do you have time to look into average player turnover per team the last couple years?
This is a good question! Here Evan Miya does a little 2023 analysis. The Big Ten had 17% of players in the portal. Smaller conferences got smashed- up to 30%.

Last edited:

HS
Henley - 1 and out
Carrington- 2 and out
JOJ- 2 and out
Payne- 2 and out
Keinys -1 and out

Inherited players -
Thompson - 1 and out

Portal guys
Battle 2 and out
Thiam 1 and out
Ogele 1 and out
Cooper 1 and out

Stayers
Pending

Brutal. I don't think the "embrace the suck" culture is working...

I cant speak for them but I would be. Carrington I would side eye but mostly towards him not the team.

Payne was a big part of my confidence for next year.

I will miss PP. by far my favorite player and likely the hardest to replace. That said, IF he Carrington and JOJ were a constant locker room issue, then they had to go. That will sink a team just as badly as a lack of talent will. There was something amiss in the last 7? games. It was commonly written off as Ben using too short a rotation, tiring out his starters, but maybe it was this instead?

As for that rotation. One cannot sit here, or elsewhere and complain about the short rotation, we need different players so Ben should run some off, and why aren’t we winning all at the same time. The three concepts are not compatible. Payne deserved all the minutes his back would allow. Carrington deserved minutes as a defensive stopper. JOJ deserved the bench for impersonating a statue while he was on the court!

Top Bottom