Kris K in the portal

I’m finding the locker room cancer stuff an indirect scapegoating scheme until something more concrete than a social media reporter whose primary business necessitates him staying in the good graces of the administration of the team says it. If Marcus puts some meat on the bone to this story, I’ll listen more closely. It could be true and is believable in the culture we live in but it just fits too perfectly into a blame the guys heading out the door story to stop any more questions or taking responsibility for the state of the program.

That element is being accepted as foregone conclusion in these conversations.

As many have said, losing Payne is devastating. The others not as much on the court. The bigger question is the establishment of culture which was the cornerstone of Ben. Mass defections of foundational players has to be concerning to anyone paying attention.

This is correct. You have the worst non-conference schedule in the country and you can only find 21 minutes for the kid and 57 minutes for Betts all year? Those kids should have been playing 10 minutes a game in the non-conference and also some minutes in Big Ten games that were blow outs.
the last northwestern game said it all........was a what, 15 point for the last 6-7 minutes and a 20 point game with 3 minutes to go and we played 7 total guys....

was just odd how you dont get the end of the bench guys in at that point

Wait now, would you not consider the Gopher as a 'lower D1"?
There are 362 teams in D1. No, I (along with everyone else) would not consider them in the lower third or half of that group.

In all seriousness, this was the best thing that's happened all offseason. I'm sure he's a fine kid but we need guys who can play

I agree with that but we now have five openings not counting the possibility that Fox may not return. Can we trust Ben to recruit five "guys who can play?" Every year so far he has managed to recruit some guys who can play but he has never managed to put together a complete set of annual recruits who you can trust to play. If that's the case, I would have just as soon have had Kleinys remain as a developmental piece.

I agree with that but we now have five openings not counting the possibility that Fox may not return. Can we trust Ben to recruit five "guys who can play?" Every year so far he has managed to recruit some guys who can play but he has never managed to put together a complete set of annual recruits who you can trust to play. If that's the case, I would have just as soon have had Kleinys remain as a developmental piece.
Jack Wilson signing demonstrated that development is not part of the plan. I am good with the ‘win now’ attitude Ben has demonstrated over his 3 yrs as HC. The results haven’t been there but the strategy has never changed. I hope the gophs win em all next year!

It's hard for most any program to bring in that many "guys you can trust to play". Very few established players are going to transfer somewhere to get 10 minutes a game. They will almost certainly bring in a few "depth" guys. We shouldn't be surprised by it.

Ideally he can bring in a guy or two that's younger that is willing to play limited minutes this coming year with a chance to be a larger contributor after that.

Jack Wilson signing demonstrated that development is not part of the plan. I am good with the ‘win now’ attitude Ben has demonstrated over his 3 yrs as HC. The results haven’t been there but the strategy has never changed. I hope the gophs win em all next year!

What is the difference between a young developmental player who doesn't play and a much older player who may not be considered "developmental" but doesn't play anyway?

What is the difference between a young developmental player who doesn't play and a much older player who may not be considered "developmental" but doesn't play anyway?
As it stands rt now for the gophs. Zip. But as a rule you can hope that a.. site keeps flipping so

the last northwestern game said it all........was a what, 15 point for the last 6-7 minutes and a 20 point game with 3 minutes to go and we played 7 total guys....

was just odd how you dont get the end of the bench guys in at that point
If nothing else you unload the bench to show the starters that a poor effort is not tolerable. Just crazy to me that he doesn't see the team building opportunity for the bench riders to get some time on the court. How deflating for a guy who practices hard every day to no even see the court in a blowout.

I’m finding the locker room cancer stuff an indirect scapegoating scheme until something more concrete than a social media reporter whose primary business necessitates him staying in the good graces of the administration of the team says it. If Marcus puts some meat on the bone to this story, I’ll listen more closely. It could be true and is believable in the culture we live in but it just fits too perfectly into a blame the guys heading out the door story to stop any more questions or taking responsibility for the state of the program.

As many have said, losing Payne is devastating. The others not as much on the court. The bigger question is the establishment of culture which was the cornerstone of Ben. Mass defections of foundational players has to be concerning to anyone paying attention.
Agree 100%.

Not buying the locker room cancer stuff. Certainly not with Payne. He showed me nothing all season to indicate he was a problem child on the team. Worked his butt off despite battling back issues all season.

If nothing else you unload the bench to show the starters that a poor effort is not tolerable. Just crazy to me that he doesn't see the team building opportunity for the bench riders to get some time on the court. How deflating for a guy who practices hard every day to no even see the court in a blowout.
It’s just baffling. Thought about it some and do you think it’s because he, Ben, never had to ride the bench? He really does not know what it feels like? Oblivious to it?

It’s just baffling. Thought about it some and do you think it’s because he, Ben, never had to ride the bench? He really does not know what it feels like? Oblivious to it?
Even if Ben was oblivious to it, wouldn't the assistant coaches remind him of the importance of playing bench players for not only morale, but valuable experience?

I would say this- if Coyle is doing his job he is personally exit interviewing the 5 departing players as well as those considering staying (only Hawkins has given assurance). Ben may be dead right here but Coyle needs to find out.
Zero chance Coyle did this.

There has to this point been no mass defection of foundational players, as anyone paying attention knows. One has left because he has been deluded by someone into believing he is going to be paid enormous money somewhere else.

Payne's highest pay value might be with a team that brings him off the bench, backing up a very good starting post player.

Ideally he can bring in a guy or two that's younger that is willing to play limited minutes this coming year with a chance to be a larger contributor after that.
I appreciate the idea, but to me this type of player simply doesn't exist. In 2024 this type of player likely goes to a lower level team, tries to put up big numbers and then uses that to hit the NIL lottery

I appreciate the idea, but to me this type of player simply doesn't exist. In 2024 this type of player likely goes to a lower level team, tries to put up big numbers and then uses that to hit the NIL lottery
I agree, wishful thinking. That’s why it’s almost certain they’ll bring in a few underwhelming veterans.

Agree 100%.

Not buying the locker room cancer stuff. Certainly not with Payne. He showed me nothing all season to indicate he was a problem child on the team. Worked his butt off despite battling back issues all season.
This is funny.

Payne's highest pay value might be with a team that brings him off the bench, backing up a very good starting post player.
LOL. A backup?

Good lord that's a high seed Preposterous Statement Tournament entry.

Your basketball takes are as moronic as your politics, wingnut.

Top Bottom