Kill says Gophers and Badgers need to discuss protocol for future Axe celebrations

Thanks walrus. I think that's the game I was recalling. I'm a tad younger than you and the games weren't broadcast then, so all I got to see was what was in the Sports Peach (and I am old enough to remember that).

You are welcome 50 # head! 1967 was an incredible year for my Golden Gophers. I got to witness them win all three trophy games that they played for at that time. They beat Michigan in the Brick House 20 - 15 the week before it was evident just how good this Gopher Team was when they upset Michigan State for Homecoming. It was the year after MSU and Notre Dame had stolen the thunder from Michigan and the Ohio State University on the final game of the 1966 season. Notre Dame had Allen Page and MSU had Bubba Smith and they played to a tie on the last game of the regular season. It WAS the National Championship game that year as both those teams were undefeated. MSU was still pretty good and had a LOT of talent back from that 1966 season. The Gophers handled them with ease. So, it was pretty easy to decide to make the trip to Kinnick Stadium in Iowa City to watch my Gophers beat the Hawkeyes 10-0. And then, even though it was bitter sweet, watching them beat Wisconsin after Thanksgiving in the snow did give me a chance to see my Gophers win their third trophy game in that year.

But, really, they didn't make such a big deal about the Axe, the Pig or the Jug. The players claimed them. Held them up for all to see and went to the locker. It will be a GREAT DAY when my Gophers hold all three...plus the Bell all in the same year again...

You are welcome 50 # head! 1967 was an incredible year for my Golden Gophers. I got to witness them win all three trophy games that they played for at that time. They beat Michigan in the Brick House 20 - 15 the week before it was evident just how good this Gopher Team was when they upset Michigan State for Homecoming. It was the year after MSU and Notre Dame had stolen the thunder from Michigan and the Ohio State University on the final game of the 1966 season. Notre Dame had Allen Page and MSU had Bubba Smith and they played to a tie on the last game of the regular season. It WAS the National Championship game that year as both those teams were undefeated. MSU was still pretty good and had a LOT of talent back from that 1966 season. The Gophers handled them with ease. So, it was pretty easy to decide to make the trip to Kinnick Stadium in Iowa City to watch my Gophers beat the Hawkeyes 10-0. And then, even though it was bitter sweet, watching them beat Wisconsin after Thanksgiving in the snow did give me a chance to see my Gophers win their third trophy game in that year.

But, really, they didn't make such a big deal about the Axe, the Pig or the Jug. The players claimed them. Held them up for all to see and went to the locker. It will be a GREAT DAY when my Gophers hold all three...plus the Bell all in the same year again...

A 10-10 tie(Labeled the game of the century) and the Vikings got three first round draft picks from that game the following spring.

I love the idea of the Axe going to the annual winner and the Slab of Bacon going to the series leader. A trophy within a trophy! This series is heating up, providing we can start winning a few. The hate is deep, and hopefully a lot is on the line in years to come. It's a top 5 rivalry in college football that the rest of the country will learn about and I'm so happy that from here on out it takes place during rivalry week....the way it should be!

Top Bottom