Kill says Gophers and Badgers need to discuss protocol for future Axe celebrations

i agree. at least get something established. as much as i hate wisky, i would rather not see a brawl take place on the field

Win the game or be forced to watch them celebrate on your field, cutting down your goalpost. It's as simple as that.

I'm actually surprised to hear the badgers waited for the song to end. I hit the exit as soon as it hit 00:00 so I wouldn't have to watch.

I would like to see it continued like this year (without the steroid standoff).

Minnesota wins - Gopher's chop down the goal post at the student section, while whiskey "defends" the other goal post. If whiskey ever wins here again, the goalposts are reversed. Same thing at Camp Randall.

It's good fuel to watch the other team celebrate. Use that hate for the following year.

Very childish to chop down the goal post. Parade the ax. All you do by chopping the goal post down is piss the losing
fan base and players off. Why even push that hot button? Case in point. You had that clown Borland running around with a sign that said " 10 in a row " and shoving it into the Gopher fans faces. We sit 12 rows up and the Gopher fan behind
who had a bit of the dog was ready to take field and shove it down Borland throat. The guy looked like he was right out
Of the WWF. Parade the ax and nobody gets hurt.

I liked what happened. Don't change a thing.

Kill needs to research the history of the axe. He may not know it - although one would think someone in the AD would remember - but when the axe actually changes hands, the winning team charges the other team's bench and grabs the axe, prior to chopping down both posts. One might imagine that charging the other bench has the potential for mayhem, but it has never done so, at least since 1971 when I started watching these annual jousts. The teams knew what the procedure was and, when losing (and Wisconsin had its share of losing since 1971), accepted the rituals of the rivalry. That is what makes winning the axe special. Perhaps the Gopher team (and staff, if video is to be believed) need a refresher course in the finer points of the axe rivalry. (BTW, the UW staff actually does have someone come in before the game, explain the history of the rivalry, get the players fired up, and tell them how the axe celebration works. It is usually a long-time coach, so maybe Kill doesn't have someone like that on staff, but it isn't like the procedure is secret.)

The petulant defending of the goalposts was a slap in the face of what is one of the greatest rivalries in college football.

I liked what happened. Don't change a thing.

Agreed, the Vadger players chopped the other goal post down, fine...but if you try to do it amongst our players, band and fans...
be prepared for haymakers. Those classless skunks should have known that but they wanted to push the buttons, they got booted
out of there, as they deserved. Now...next year I can't wait to see the Gophers parade the axe around camp randall and chop down
the goal post, then dismantle the damned thing and bus it back to 'sota.

Kill needs to research the history of the axe. He may not know it - although one would think someone in the AD would remember - but when the axe actually changes hands, the winning team charges the other team's bench and grabs the axe, prior to chopping down both posts. One might imagine that charging the other bench has the potential for mayhem, but it has never done so, at least since 1971 when I started watching these annual jousts. The teams knew what the procedure was and, when losing (and Wisconsin had its share of losing since 1971), accepted the rituals of the rivalry. That is what makes winning the axe special. Perhaps the Gopher team (and staff, if video is to be believed) need a refresher course in the finer points of the axe rivalry. (BTW, the UW staff actually does have someone come in before the game, explain the history of the rivalry, get the players fired up, and tell them how the axe celebration works. It is usually a long-time coach, so maybe Kill doesn't have someone like that on staff, but it isn't like the procedure is secret.)

The petulant defending of the goalposts was a slap in the face of what is one of the greatest rivalries in college football.

In 2003 the Gophers did not chop the goal posts down. Rheys Lloyd ran across the field grabbed the ax and they paraded it around the Dome. Slap in the face my ass Becky.

Whatever. Blame Bert and and his poor sportsmanship, he let the 2011 team barge through while the players were singing their school song. That's where it started, it probably ends now with 2 new coaches.
Wasn't the slab of bacon supposedly lost during an on field brawl? I find it hard to believe it's just always been love and peace after all 100 some brutal rivalry games.
Quit whining our guys didn't bow down, we'll quit pretending it meant anything but that some seniors are still pissed about the assclown coach you had last year being about as classless as you can get.

Agreed, the Vadger players chopped the other goal post down, fine...but if you try to do it amongst our players, band and fans...
be prepared for haymakers. Those classless skunks should have known that but they wanted to push the buttons, they got booted
out of there, as they deserved. Now...next year I can't wait to see the Gophers parade the axe around camp randall and chop down
the goal post, then dismantle the damned thing and bus it back to 'sota.

Huh? Wisconsin does it. Classless. You lobby for Minnesota to do the same. Not classless. Does that cover it?

I remember the Gophers trying to plant the M flag at the 50 yard line at Michigan Stadium in 2005.

Can we all agree that every single team in the entire country would behave in the exact same manner and save the rival p*ssing contests for important matters...like academic rankings?

In 2003 the Gophers did not chop the goal posts down. Rheys Lloyd ran across the field grabbed the ax and they paraded it around the Dome.

Why would the Gophers chop down their own goal posts? The Badgers did it last year, but that's kinda dumb.

Slap in the face my ass Becky.

Sounds like a pretty easy 2-for-1 shot.

Here's a crazy idea, let's just do what has been done since 1948 winner chops down whatever they want and run around with the Axe, the losers act like good sports and try to get it back next year.

Almost as bad as lying about a traveling trophy (slab of bacon) being "lost". The fact that it happened and your athletic department acts like nothing happened is much more of a "slap in the face" to the rivalry.

The only protocol for axe celebrations that I want Coach Kill focused on is making sure that, in the future, we are the ones celebrating with it.

Very childish to chop down the goal post. Parade the ax. All you do by chopping the goal post down is piss the losing
fan base and players off.
Why even push that hot button? Case in point. You had that clown Borland running around with a sign that said " 10 in a row " and shoving it into the Gopher fans faces. We sit 12 rows up and the Gopher fan behind
who had a bit of the dog was ready to take field and shove it down Borland throat. The guy looked like he was right out
Of the WWF. Parade the ax and nobody gets hurt.

Agreed. Win the game, grab the ax and handout participation ribbons if it makes them feel better.

There are many other games where no one chops down a goal post. Seems to work fine.

Just because it is a tradition doesn't mean it is good or wise. Time to dump the chop.

The time to change a tradition is when you win the game, not when you lose it.

Almost as bad as lying about a traveling trophy (slab of bacon) being "lost". The fact that it happened and your athletic department acts like nothing happened is much more of a "slap in the face" to the rivalry.

This. I'll say it again. Wisconsin fans can complain about the situation, protocol, tradition, etc when they call up Barry Alvarez and tell him to mail us the bacon. If things are so clear to understand for how to handle the current trophy, I'm utterly shocked that the brain trust in Madison botched the Bacon exchange.

For the record, I do believe the song was over, but not 100% sure. I was walking down the stairs into the concourse when the band was closing out the song, when I was walking in the concourse about 10 seconds later I looked over and saw the hubbub. I don't know if the team does anything further at the end of Hail! Minnesota, maybe they do on the last home game, etc. I don't know. But it did seem like the Badgers waited long enough, and defending the goal post as our team did is mostly meaningless, since it's not like the Badger players were going to literally tear down the goal posts (I don't care if it's a rivalry game or you win the B1G, that's a d0uche move in an opponent's stadium). Long story short, I'm only mildly upset/laughing at the situation because Wisconsin fans seem to not remember or acknowledge that their own team were far bigger sore losers and after decades have still not rectified the situation.

A Badger fan farts and the whole lot of them consider it a time-honored tradition.

Hail Minnesota is an actual tradition.

Not surprisingly, the program with no significant history prior to 1993 would claim some classless taunting of the opposing team (that purposefully interferes with a REAL, and known, tradition) to be "a tradition".

The time to change a tradition is when you win the game, not when you lose it.

Does this only apply to Minnesota? Wisconsin changed the tradition back in the day when they lost.

I give up. If 40 years of watching games means less than someone's recollection from the current year when they were "walking down the stairs" while I was still in the stadium, so be it. But whoever said the situation being overstated as a confrontation was correct; the Badgers most laughed at the post-game defense of the end zone (v. in-game) and moved on with their celebration...

If you win next year in Camp Randall, I would hope we are better hosts.

You had me all the way up to the bolded.

You, and most Badger players/fans seem to misunderstand. This started 2 years ago (and maybe 4) when the Gophers were lined up facing the band singing "Hail, Minnesota" after the game, the Badgers came blasting through them like they were a bowling ball and the Gophers were pins just to do the chop. Certainly, the seniors and upperclassmen remembered that.

And even if that didn't have any sort of factor in why they defended the goalposts, you shouldn't be so sore about it. It shows that there's a fire there that obviously wasn't before and it'll cross over to next years edition.

A Badger fan farts and the whole lot of them consider it a time-honored tradition.

Hail Minnesota is an actual tradition.

Not surprisingly, the program with no significant history prior to 1993 would claim some classless taunting of the opposing team (that purposefully interferes with a REAL, and known, tradition) to be "a tradition".

Post of the year nominee!

I give up.

Thank you, you won't be missed. Even if you're not one of the obnoxious whiskey posters here.

...the Badgers most [sic] laughed at the post-game defense of the end zone...

Does that include the lapdog next to your head coach yelling "It's a ****ing tradition" in the face of the security guy pointing them in the direction of their tunnel? Or is he a coach? I hope not...that would be far more embarrassing than anything the players did on the field.

This is stupid. The only thing the coaches need to communicate to their players and I assume they will is that when you win the Axe you let the opposing team complete their post game ritual (singing school song or whatever) and exit the field before you go into their area. This is kids being kids but the coaches need to reign it in a little to make sure it doesn't come to blows because that should not happen.

As for the celebration itself, as long as the winning team isn't messing with the players on the losing team they should be allowed to celebrate however they want to. Parade the trophy around, chop down the goal posts....that is all part of the fun of college football and rivalry games.

When the time comes that the Gophers win at Camp Randall, and start chopping the posts down, I expect that it ends in a full-blown riot.

I give up. If 40 years of watching games means less than someone's recollection from the current year when they were "walking down the stairs" while I was still in the stadium, so be it. But whoever said the situation being overstated as a confrontation was correct; the Badgers most laughed at the post-game defense of the end zone (v. in-game) and moved on with their celebration...

You won't be. It is a life long tradition.

In 2003 the Gophers did not chop the goal posts down. Rheys Lloyd ran across the field grabbed the ax and they paraded it around the Dome. Slap in the face my ass Becky.

Not that I think defending the goal posts was a slap in the face but why would we chop our own goal posts down? If we were in Madison I would expect us to do that but not at home. Win at home and our goal posts don't get chopped down by the skunks.

Here is what I hope Kill and Anderson agree to:
- If the either team wins the Axe back, they can raid the opponents bench to retrieve it, without regard for life or limb.
- If the visiting team wins or retains the axe, they can chop down both goal posts but they should wait until the home team has left the field which they should do with expediency.
- The 'Slab of Bacon' should be returned to the University of Minnesota with the go-forward understanding that the Axe will be possessed by the winner of last year's game, and the Slab will be possessed by the leader of the all time series (you must take the lead to get it back). I think this would be a nice wrinke now that the series is so close.

Top Bottom