KFAN to air recruiting show on Wed. 6:30-7:00, Nadine Babu to be on talking Gophers

...and unless I'm missing something, this is the only Gopher recruiting show that's going to be on Twin Cities radio. Again, it's a start.

Lots of coverage all day on 1500 ESPN, including plenty of time spent on this class, Kill, etc. at 7 p.m. ... I was with Westerhaus, and have spent time with Olson, so can add insight on them... and I am bringing on Matt O'Connell from GI, who breaks down and gains knowledge on these recruits on a regular basis. He lives recruiting 365 days a year, so a good guy and the right guy to have today.

No offense, but how closely does Nadine even follow football recruiting? I don't recall seeing many posts by her re: recruits or interviews w/ potential signees.

Dude, she gave you a shout out! Be nice!

Lots of coverage all day on 1500 ESPN, including plenty of time spent on this class, Kill, etc. at 7 p.m. ... I was with Westerhaus, and have spent time with Olson, so can add insight on them... and I am bringing on Matt O'Connell from GI, who breaks down and gains knowledge on these recruits on a regular basis. He lives recruiting 365 days a year, so a good guy and the right guy to have today.

He certainly does live recruiting, and does a good job, but I have to give credit where credit is due. Honestly, before any of us should have been asked on these shows - Chris Monter should have been. There is no one, and I mean no one, that has actually seen these kids play as much as he has. He goes to absolutely every possible game, has known most of the kids for years, and can speak to their talents and skills better than anyone.

I just listened to the podcast. Awesome! The pronunciation of my name was really weird, but it was cool to hear it on the radio nonetheless!

I know...it's funny, you read someone's moniker all the time...but you don't ever say it outloud!

Oh, and for those of you who asked, here's the podcast:

http://www.kfan.com/cc-common/podcast/single_podcast.html?podcast=KFAN_InstantReplay.xml

Chris does a very good job, especially on basketball... only know Chris a very little bit... have known Matt well for some time, so there's a trust level there... and quite frankly, Matt knows a ton about the non-MN kids. We spent a good 5-8 min. on Shortell, etc., plus on a few of the kids that got away in the last few weeks. Also talked current make-up of O-Line, D-Line, team as a whole, etc. Matt did a nice job.

Podcast on this page: http://www.1500espn.com/shows/phunn

Chris does a very good job, especially on basketball... only know Chris a very little bit... have known Matt well for some time, so there's a trust level there... and quite frankly, Matt knows a ton about the non-MN kids. We spent a good 5-8 min. on Shortell, etc., plus on a few of the kids that got away in the last few weeks. Also talked current make-up of O-Line, D-Line, team as a whole, etc. Matt did a nice job.

Podcast on this page: http://www.1500espn.com/shows/phunn

you spent 8 minutes talking about a hs qb from kansas that won't see the field for at least three years, barring some major injuries? wow, you don't want to stay on the air that long do you in your career?

Miss the etc. part? Gray has 2 years left... trying to figure out if he can be the starting QB in 2013 was worth a question in my mind... also was able to get the nugget out that Hoke offered him in the last week, but he said no.

Stay on the air? Will be just fine.

Miss the etc. part? Gray has 2 years left... trying to figure out if he can be the starting QB in 2013 was worth a question in my mind... also was able to get the nugget out that Hoke offered him in the last week, but he said no.

hopefully as your national shows pre-noon are great, but line up shake ups after a few months on the air, well....

I didn't think the Shortell portion was too long at all. Very good segment. McConnell was good as always. Good perspective from him about the positives of getting more high profile kids to visit and be interested late in the process, even though none panned out. I didn't really look at it that way at the time, but a good take.

Also enjoyed the KFAN show - my buddy DP getting the shoutout! DP, you've gone viral!

Format change is less than a year old... so far, so good in many areas... and in other areas, there's work to be done... I'm sure more changes are coming at some point... always have thought there was room for 2 sports stations in this market, and that's the case so far.

I didn't think the Shortell portion was too long at all. Very good segment. McConnell was good as always. Good perspective from him about the positives of getting more high profile kids to visit and be interested late in the process, even though none panned out. I didn't really look at it that way at the time, but a good take.

Also enjoyed the KFAN show - my buddy DP getting the shoutout! DP, you've gone viral!

Much appreciation. Matt does a nice job, and I like giving people chances. Zach does a ton of media, so it's good to have Matt's voice heard as well. Have enjoyed opining on Gopher sports for years.

Awesome job, Nadine!! I'll actually be able to hear you on the PA show live. Keep it up!

Awesome job, Nadine!! I'll actually be able to hear you on the PA show live. Keep it up!

Thank you....I am sooooo excited to talk Gopher hoops, and was honored PA asked me to - I didn't even think he knew who I was.

Make no mistake, when DP went to the airport that one night and checked to see if a new coach was landing, he earned any radio/tv/internet shout out that he gets!

Doogie~

I also really liked the segment, I can't understand why anyone would say anything to rip on the length of the Shortell bit, but I thought it was informative and didn't seem too long at all. I also thought Matt was good and you and Mr. Phunn asked good questions. I actually thought signing day was covered really well by KFAN and ESPN1500. I was actually a bit surprised at how well it was covered. I thought Dan B. could have used a refresher when he was go on and on about our DLine since he arrived (forgot a couple decent ones), but other than that a nitpicky Gopher football dork like myself doesn't really have anything to complain about. In the world of internet message boards, that is saying something.

Doogie, do you think the more positive outlook and coverage of this class during LOI day is based on how Kill carried himself? Like it didn't seem like Kill was prone to any hyperbole or inflated expectations of the class, and do you think that more tapered down approach lent himself to be a more realistic backlash? I guess what I am saying is that this class was similar to the 2010 class and their seemed to be quite a bit mroe negativity surrounding that class.

Bob_Loblaw: Thank you... lots of good electronic coverage across the board... my focus is more on TV, and I thought Kill live with us (Ch. 5) during the 6p news was good... Shaver always does a ton, etc.

As for your 2nd question... Kill has won a lot of people over... all you need to know: he's already won over Reusse... the 2010 class had more negativity because of Brew & Brez (got suspended for recruiting violations during the Henderson courting), plain and simple.

Pretty soon, you'll be able to say "I knew him when...".

Ah, the good old days way back when DP was previously most famous for arguing with a Las Vegas pit boss about the betting rules and guidelines of blackjack. And I thought you were only ruthless on GH!

Top Bottom