Just hire a Defensive Coordinator

Winston! Anyone saying he isn’t ready can’t be any worse than what we had last year. Leaving Illinois best receiver uncovered in the slot and not taking a timeout is coaching and time for a change.
If you think that our defense couldn't be worse than last year, you either have a memory problem or you haven't been a Gopher fan very long.

My theory: the next Gopher DC is currently preparing for a bowl game.
That or was just in a bowl this past weekend or is preparing for an FCS game. So many coaches out there and when it's around $1M per season Fleck will find someone.

A lot of coaches won't move until their team is done.

Or even recruiting cycle done.
This is more of it. It's a recruiting cycle thing I believe. More coaches will move once the ink is dry on Wednesday.

There is a decent chance this is the correct answer. Could be someone currently coaching who doesn't want it announced until after their bowl game.

If they were going to elevate someone currently on the staff into the permanent role there is really no reason to wait on announcing it.
I'd still wait because moving someone to Coordinator would potentially affect position coaches and that's tied to recruiting.

PJ is on KFAN right now doing some bowl preview show. It'll be available for playback later, so you can listen for yourselves, but it sounds like if you're waiting for an announcement in the next couple of weeks, that's not going to happen.

I'd still wait because moving someone to Coordinator would potentially affect position coaches and that's tied to recruiting.
Maybe, but usually when you promote from within the new coordinator doesn't make a lot of assistant coach changes because they are guys he has been working with for years.

My gut feeling on this is that the new DC is still in action somewhere else. Kind of odd how few rumors there are though about who it might be.

PJ is on KFAN right now doing some bowl preview show. It'll be available for playback later, so you can listen for yourselves, but it sounds like if you're waiting for an announcement in the next couple of weeks, that's not going to happen.
NFL guy maybe. Or someone that wants to coach their bowl game. I can't imagine that means they just aren't trying hard to hire someone.

NFL guy maybe. Or someone that wants to coach their bowl game. I can't imagine that means they just aren't trying hard to hire someone.
He said the timing is really off with them getting ready for the bowl game and other teams having their own responsibilities to handle right now (not sure if that means recruiting/bowl prep or a combo of both). He also said he has had some preliminary phone conversations, but not much past that.

I'm guessing signing day and bowl game prep have delayed this. Maybe they are interested in Monroe internally as a candidate and gets audition at Bowl game.

Last edited:

He said the timing is really off with them getting ready for the bowl game and other teams having their own responsibilities to handle right now (not sure if that means recruiting/bowl prep or a combo of both). He also said he has had some preliminary phone conversations, but not much past that.
Ah, that's disappointing.

There's a decent chance we'll actually have a few players in the late signing period. Possible they go straight to the portal, but we'll see. No DC announced soon. No idea if the OC will be around past next week. Special Teams could be fired too. Its a miracle they held on to the QB and Safety who both had great offers.

Top Bottom