Just hire a Defensive Coordinator

MNSpaniel

Reaction score
Might stop some of these players flipping or some to commit if they knew who the Def. Coordinator was???

I just can't figure out why they wouldn't want a Defensive Cor. in place. A pretty important time for kids to know who they will be working for.

PJ better be careful or the boat will sink... taking him down with it. Brewster became a joke in Minnesota because he couldn't get his coordinator situations squared away. The same could doom Fleck to a somewhat similar fate.

Not nailing down the DC situation immediately was a bad move... He should have had someone in his back pocket, ready to step up. He had plenty of warning signals that there was a possibility of this happening. The longer he waits, the more "bleeding" will occur.

Chances of us getting one of the Final Four DC's seems pretty unlikely.
Any other bowl...if you're a DC leaving...go already.
So, seems to me we are going internal and PJ is auditioning whether to go co-DC's or pick one.
How he did Auburn....well sort of.

Signing day is before our Bowl game I do believe. Dunno...all seems odd.

My theory: the next Gopher DC is currently preparing for a bowl game.

For sure won't be hired until at least after our bowl game. What are the chances its some MACtion DC coming our way?

PJ better be careful or the boat will sink... taking him down with it. Brewster became a joke in Minnesota because he couldn't get his coordinator situations squared away. The same could doom Fleck to a somewhat similar fate.

Not nailing down the DC situation immediately was a bad move... He should have had someone in his back pocket, ready to step up. He had plenty of warning signals that there was a possibility of this happening. The longer he waits, the more "bleeding" will occur.
This is the worst advice I've read recently.
You lose your #1 assistant and you want to slide in someone from the narrow list of people who can accept the job day 1?

Eliminating 90% of the best candidates with that approach.

Did Joe Rossi have to wait until after the bowl game?
He didn't but that doesn't mean the guy you hire is the same as Joe ... do you tell that guy "sorry never mind" and go with someone else?

do you tell that guy "sorry never mind" and go with someone else?
Do you tell the Brady Pretzlaffs and Koi Perichs of the football world that you don't have a DC yet, but "I'm sure you're going to love playing for whomever we hire." Maybe a quick hire wouldn't have saved Pretzlaff... and maybe Koi still comes to MN... but the longer that the uncertainty lingers, the more difficult it's going to be getting players to consider rowing a boat.

Do you tell the Brady Pretzlaffs and Koi Perichs of the football world that you don't have a DC yet, but "I'm sure you're going to love playing for whomever we hire." Maybe a quick hire wouldn't have saved Pretzlaff... and maybe Koi still comes to MN... but the longer that the uncertainty lingers, the more difficult it's going to be getting players to consider rowing a boat.
I’m gonna go out on a limb and say the recruits know more about what’s going on than what is public.

I’ll take a better DC for the foreseeable and let a couple recruits leave. Just my mindset.

I don’t think you sweat a couple players that who know how long they will be here and limit your DC options…

Those guys might not even come for who you pick anyway.

Not every situation is the same. You don’t hire a guy just for the sake of filling the position. For all we know, they’ve got their guy, and the recruits/transfers know who it is but they just can’t announce it yet.
OK, playing along ...... why does that person need to be protected, until after the bowl game?

Why? Ours certainly didn't stick around.

Winston! Anyone saying he isn’t ready can’t be any worse than what we had last year. Leaving Illinois best receiver uncovered in the slot and not taking a timeout is coaching and time for a change.

Last edited:

Most important thing is to get the hire right. PJ brings in another Robb Smith/Mike Sanford level miss in a Coordinator position and he's deciding between TV work and a job in the MAC sooner rather than later. We've heard all the position coaches are expected to remain with Minnesota on defense which means Monroe/Collins/Winston will be here and all we are missing is the DC who will likely be the linebackers coach as well. The writing was on the wall with Pretzlaff bolting for MSU before Rossi was even rumored for that job. So everyone in this defensive recruiting class, with the exception of Carrier who is sold on being a Gopher, has their position coach still at Minnesota. I don't think a new DC could go out and recruit at this point anyway as I think this was the last weekend kids can visit until January (could be wrong).

My theory: the next Gopher DC is currently preparing for a bowl game.
There is a decent chance this is the correct answer. Could be someone currently coaching who doesn't want it announced until after their bowl game.

If they were going to elevate someone currently on the staff into the permanent role there is really no reason to wait on announcing it.

Top Bottom