Jump Around is just OK.

gophers&guns

Reaction score
Ok so this is not a reaction due to the outcome of the game, rather it's a look at in-game traditions. As many that haven't traveled to Madison I was a little excited to experience the Jump Around deal. I will say that it's pretty cool for the short time they do it, but I would take our 3rd quarter break over theirs any day! Essentially there was little music played, a couple goofy adds, and other junk. It's no wonder those Badger fans are so eager to jump up and down because the rest of that break is just boring and dull.

I was there too, It's just cool to see 80000 people all jumping and going crazy at once, especially the students. Unlike anything our student section could do.

Looks cool to me. Nice tradition for them. Accept what it is.

Oh it's cool no doubt about that, I'm just saying that I prefer our style of having decent music playing throughout the break then have something like Jump Around to finish it off. I like doing the Gopher but it could be improved upon, much like Madison could add more music throughout.

It's cool, but calling it the greatest tradition in college football? That's laughable, especially in a game for the Axe. Cripes, the song is barely more than 20 years old. Typical Wisconsin...

You could feel the stands shaking. I thought it was cool.

Sent from my MZ617 using Tapatalk

It's cool, but calling it the greatest tradition in college football? That's laughable, especially in a game for the Axe. Cripes, the song is barely more than 20 years old. Typical Wisconsin...

How about that old hag on the big screen telling the lies.......Wear a GD scarf if you have that much loose skin on your neck. Looked like a turkey.

It's a great tradition and fun experience, but doesn't come to the level of being worthy of "The Greatest Tradition in College Football" they say it is.

Who said it is the greatest tradition in college football? I think it's just a fun thing to do when you see all the fans rocking the stands. I just hope they've figured out how much stress is put on the supports. It's fun to watch the players on the field and sometimes even the visiting team gets involved. Like this

Who said it is the greatest tradition in college football? I think it's just a fun thing to do when you see all the fans rocking the stands. I just hope they've figured out how much stress is put on the supports. It's fun to watch the players on the field and sometimes even the visiting team gets involved. Like this

Ok so this is not a reaction due to the outcome of the game, rather it's a look at in-game traditions. As many that haven't traveled to Madison I was a little excited to experience the Jump Around deal. I will say that it's pretty cool for the short time they do it, but I would take our 3rd quarter break over theirs any day! Essentially there was little music played, a couple goofy adds, and other junk. It's no wonder those Badger fans are so eager to jump up and down because the rest of that break is just boring and dull.

100% disagree. As i was "swaying in respect" (as I told the people next to me), I got goosebumps.

Super cool tradition overall and a cool stadium as well. For better or worse, they really pack the people in there.

The announcer in the stadium did. I laughed.

The chancellor of the university was on the video board and also claimed it was the greatest tradition in CFB. It's a cool 3rd quarter break, but in the grand scheme of college football it doesn't even hit the board.

When BTN aired it and the announcers kissed up big time, it made me mad. Several hours later, I have to admit my anger was fueled to a great extent by envy. I think our break down before the 4th quarter with "Let Me Clear My Throat", "Turn Down For What?!", "Zombie Nation", and so on is better musically and it's uniquely ours, but the sight of sold out crowd joining in is something we're sadly a long way from seeing here.

Two more "Jump Around" thoughts. I was in Madison for the 1998 Gophers-Badgers game and at that point it was only the student section that moved to the song apart from scattered random fans. At what point did it takeover the entire stadium? Also does anyone remember a Badgers-Gophers game at the Metrodome in the early 2000s at which the game production staff inexplicably and infuriatingly played "Jump Around"? We were playing one of our two biggest rivals at home in front of a crowd that was significantly if not overwhelmingly pro Badger and we played their rev it up song. My friends had to practically physically restrain me to keep me from trying to get to the booth to let someone have it.

For people hear on GH who hate the piped in music at TCF, go to camp Randall once. I would say that 90-95% of all noise made that wasn't crowd noise was from the deafening level of the music volume at Camp Randall yesterday afternoon. It was insanely loud and played all the time. I hardly heard their band ever play.

For people hear on GH who hate the piped in music at TCF, go to camp Randall once. I would say that 90-95% of all noise made that wasn't crowd noise was from the deafening level of the music volume at Camp Randall yesterday afternoon. It was insanely loud and played all the time. I hardly heard their band ever play.

That was my biggest takeaway. I expected Camp Randall to be loud and it didn't seem any louder than TCF...with the exception of the PA. It was more or less full and while there was a decent Gold contingent most everyone was wearing Red. Not sure why it was so (relatively) quiet.

Wisconsin has done well publicized studies on the stress of jump around on the structure of Camp Randal.

Why do we allow the Badger band to play their "5th Quarter" on our home field after Gopher/Badger football games?

I thought the exact same thing. I was blown away at the piped in music was as prominent as it was, and the marching band was used as little as it was. It felt more like an NFL game than anything. If you go to Nebraska its a much different experience.

Go Gophers!!

It reminds me of the natives in the movie King Gong. They started banging the logs and the natives started hollering Kong,Kong,Kong! Along with jumping up and down. That's what the jump around looks like. Only thing missing is King Kong climbing over the erector set stadium that is Camp Randall. Really pretty stupid.

Wisconsin Chancellor I think it was, came through on TV very clearly when she said it.

Who gives a crap what they call it or if it is actually the greatest tradition in college football (a thing that is nearly impossible to measure)? It is still very cool when the entire stadium gets jumping. I hate the Badgers but that is a cool tradition that most of the fans and players (on both teams) get into.

Who gives a crap what they call it or if it is actually the greatest tradition in college football (a thing that is nearly impossible to measure)? It is still very cool when the entire stadium gets jumping. I hate the Badgers but that is a cool tradition that most of the fans and players (on both teams) get into.

Agree 100%. Very cool tradition, just not as amazing as the hype.

The band used to play more, but Lecrone (band leader) is so old, he started sleeping through games, so when they called on the band, it wasn't ready. They said screw it and just play music.

Pretty soon that ****hole of a stadium will fall down.

Go Gophers !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I thought it was cool to see, the length of it was the right length, but I feel like once you've seen one Jump Around, you've seen them all. I would say there are a few traditions that rank ahead of it. I REALLY like our 3.5 quarter break I just wish more people in the stadium would dance with the other songs. Doing the Gopher has really come along and fans are embracing it, but we need to get the entire crowd into all the songs dancing and jumping with the students to Zombie Nation. Another thing that really stuck out to me was that almost the entire stadium knew varsity (It helps when they display the words) but I started to wonder how many of the fans at TCF know the words to Hail Minnesota?

I thought it was cool to see, the length of it was the right length, but I feel like once you've seen one Jump Around, you've seen them all. I would say there are a few traditions that rank ahead of it. I REALLY like our 3.5 quarter break I just wish more people in the stadium would dance with the other songs. Doing the Gopher has really come along and fans are embracing it, but we need to get the entire crowd into all the songs dancing and jumping with the students to Zombie Nation. Another thing that really stuck out to me was that almost the entire stadium knew varsity (It helps when they display the words) but I started to wonder how many of the fans at TCF know the words to Hail Minnesota?

Well "Varsity" isn't exactly complex, but it is beloved. I have been at many weddings and a few funerals where it was sung. It is the iconic "bonding" song of UW grads. My parents taught it to us as youngsters. I have instructions that it be sung at my funeral.

Top Bottom