John Beilein is my pick. Prove he's not the right choice

Dutcher was able to pull in the #1 recruiting class in the nation. I don’t think it included any Minnesotans.

The other jobs most likely to be open at the moment are BC, DePaul, Penn State, Vanderbilt and Iowa State. Which of those is better than MN?

Good question. BC and DePaul - no way. Penn State - I don't think so; you're closer to more populous recruiting areas but Penn State is very isolated in the middle of Pennsyltucky and you're always going to be the red-headed stepchild compared to the football program. Iowa State does have history and its basketball program definitely doesn't take second place to the football program. It does have a precedent of another Michigan coach going there and doing well - Johnny Orr. Beilein has never coached in the Big 12 so maybe that opportunity might be attractive to him.

Ah...Vanderbilt. A lovely place and located in the tony west end of central Nashville. For atmosphere, that one is hard to beat. Maybe for a coach at the end of his career the prospects for success wouldn't matter as much.

So, I guess the answer to your question is that none of them clearly are better and three of them would appear to be worse. Iowa State may have an edge and Vanderbilt has unique environmental qualities.

If people truly believe that it's impossible for Minnesota to recruit and compete, then let's get out of the Big Ten. Let's shack up with St. Thomas in whatever conference they're in.

People have gotten so used to failing and losing that they think there's no other way, and you can't tell them otherwise.

If people truly believe that it's impossible for Minnesota to recruit and compete, then let's get out of the Big Ten. Let's shack up with St. Thomas in whatever conference they're in.

People have gotten so used to failing and losing that they think there's no other way, and you can't tell them otherwise.
Of course they can.

Just saying, the decision shouldn't come down to "well this guy here is going to keep all the elite local kids home, for sure!" That's just not going to happen. At least, not right off the bat, no matter who it is.

Local kids are, rightly, skeptical of Gopher bball.

Good question. BC and DePaul - no way. Penn State - I don't think so; you're closer to more populous recruiting areas but Penn State is very isolated in the middle of Pennsyltucky and you're always going to be the red-headed stepchild compared to the football program. Iowa State does have history and its basketball program definitely doesn't take second place to the football program. It does have a precedent of another Michigan coach going there and doing well - Johnny Orr. Beilein has never coached in the Big 12 so maybe that opportunity might be attractive to him.

Ah...Vanderbilt. A lovely place and located in the tony west end of central Nashville. For atmosphere, that one is hard to beat. Maybe for a coach at the end of his career the prospects for success wouldn't matter as much.

So, I guess the answer to your question is that none of them clearly are better and three of them would appear to be worse. Iowa State may have an edge and Vanderbilt has unique environmental qualities.
Iowa State definitely has an edge in terms of gameday facility (sorry, the Barn may be traditional/historic/unique, but it also is what it is in terms of "niceness") and I believe fan support as well.

They have a dedicated bball practice facility, which seems to be standard at most P5 these days.

https://cyclones.com/facilities

In what universe is Iowa State ever a better job than Minnesota? The fact that Fred H got any player he wanted admitted helped make it a better job that it had been, but it still not much to write home about.

None of those jobs are better than Minnesota. DePaul getting into the V2 Catholic Big East does make it a better job than it has been since the Ray Meyer era ended. (Same for Marquette- Al era)

This universe.

ISU is a considerably more enticing gig right now. BC and Vandy would would not be less attractive gigs. BC would would be out with all the east coast talent.

And again, like I said. That is assuming only these programs would be in the running. The lowest options.

Indiana, Creighton, Georgetown, Marquette, Pitt, Xavier, Georgia Tech, Kstate are all programs that would be options that could at any point move on from their current coaches if Belien gave whiff of interest. Most of those are considerably better options.

And thats just teams with easy reasons to move on.

He isn't coming here. I'd be willing to bet any type of odds you want.

Of course they can.

Just saying, the decision shouldn't come down to "well this guy here is going to keep all the elite local kids home, for sure!" That's just not going to happen. At least, not right off the bat, no matter who it is.

Local kids are, rightly, skeptical of Gopher bball.
I said it in another thread: the notion that we're going to keep everyone here is a straw man argument. Nobody has said it's possible to do that or that we're going to do that.

We hear two things from the defeatists: 1) all the players want to leave here and not stay where they grew up, and 2) why would anyone want to leave where they grew up and come here. This is merely excuse making for failure. Again, if we can't recruit and compete, let's shut er down.

I said it in another thread: the notion that we're going to keep everyone here is a straw man argument. Nobody has said it's possible to do that or that we're going to do that.

We hear two things from the defeatists: 1) all the players want to leave here and not stay where they grew up, and 2) why would anyone want to leave where they grew up and come here. This is merely excuse making for failure. Again, if we can't recruit and compete, let's shut er down.
I'm only say that the reasonable expectation can only be to achieve, in these senses, what other top Big Ten programs achieve -- or hell, even what Iowa and Wisconsin achieve.

We don't need any local players to compete. So the notion that coach X might be better at keeping local talent home, shouldn't factor into the decision.

I'm only say that the reasonable expectation can only be to achieve, in these senses, what other top Big Ten programs achieve -- or hell, even what Iowa and Wisconsin achieve.

We don't need any local players to compete. So the notion that coach X might be better at keeping local talent home, shouldn't factor into the decision.
Again, we're talking about circular reasoning that justifies failure. People claim the Gophers can't compete because of "geographical disadvantages" of not having the available regional talent that other places have. Then they claim that an improving geographical talent situation shouldn't make any difference at all because nobody stays home.

I don't buy that we shouldn't be able to benefit from having more nearby talent. It's a tremendous opportunity.

I think it's hugely foolhardy to hire a new coach with the expectation that he'll be able to land the elite local talent. There are more forces at play there than just the coach.

Chet suddenly chooses the Gophers because we hired Beilein? No way

Kids largely want to get away from where they grew up, if given a choice. Plain and simple.

I think you are wrong....we only started losing out on top local talent in mass once we hired Pitino. I'm not saying we would get all of them....but we would have recruited significantly better with a better coach.

When Tubby was hired, i asked a friend who was a MIAC assistant coach (he was a division 2 basketball player from down south) if he thought that Tubby could turn it around. He told me he would know in a year if he was able to convince Rodney Williams and Royce White to commit to the U. Tubby got both of them to the U. Royce White had his problems and everything derailed for Tubby. Even so his years were way better than the last 8 years.

I know and have known quite a few high school coaches in the state. If you know any I think you should ask them what they think of Pitino.

Iowa State definitely has an edge in terms of gameday facility (sorry, the Barn may be traditional/historic/unique, but it also is what it is in terms of "niceness") and I believe fan support as well.

They have a dedicated bball practice facility, which seems to be standard at most P5 these days.

https://cyclones.com/facilities
What point are you trying to make? The Gophers have a dedicated facility as well, and it is worlds better than the ISU facility.

What point are you trying to make? The Gophers have a dedicated facility as well, and it is worlds better than the ISU facility.
Only that most places have a dedicated bball practice facility.

Why is the Gopher's version "worlds" better? I'm sure it's very nice.

1) Beilein is an awful choice and he's not coming here.

2) I have complete faith in Coyle. He knows how important men's BB is to the school. We will have a top notch coach next year.
I would have zero faith in Mother "search committee" Maturi to make this hire. I had way too much faith in MegaTongue, and he did not deliver. It feels nice to not have to worry about the competency of the AD to make a good hire.

Only that most places have a dedicated bball practice facility.

Why is the Gopher's version "worlds" better? I'm sure it's very nice.
I have toured the ISU facility, and am intimately close to the Gophers facility. If you saw both, you would agree, there is no comparison.

I have toured the ISU facility, and am intimately close to the Gophers facility. If you saw both, you would agree, there is no comparison.
Does ISU's facility not even have a court? No hoops?

What does the Gophers facility do, that is so much better? Honest question.

At the end of the day, I'm just saying: Beilein is going to come here, over Iowa State, because our practice facility looks nicer?

As Allen Iverson once said: we talkin' bout ... prac....tice. Practice ..... Not a game! Practice ...... Prac tice...

ISU 100%. BC and Vandy would probably attract more with him then we would.

Depaul is in a hot bed. Just need a coach. Been that way for far too long.

But heres the thing, if Belien wants to coach again and lets it out there. Coaches will be getting let go left and right.

Indiana for example says "see ya" to Archie in 5 seconds if they know they got Belien on board.
ISU is equivalent if you don't mind being second fiddle in your own state. The rest are not.

Coaches getting let go left and right for him? Half the people here don't want him because he's too old, but you think IU fans will all be thrilled? They want Stevens.

What I’m saying is that we have a gold mine of HS talent here that we don’t tap into. To be successful, we have to get some of those kids. Maybe not the best kid. There are too many kids leaving our state for programs that are not any better than ours.
It’s a question that should be asked and answered satisfactorily by every candidate. “What‘s your strategy to recruit local players and why will this work, where others have failed?
I have total confidence in Mark Coyle. Look at men’s hockey, women’s basketball, football. All of them have upgraded their programs with Coyle hires.

What I’m saying is that we have a gold mine of HS talent here that we don’t tap into. To be successful, we have to get some of those kids. Maybe not the best kid. There are too many kids leaving our state for programs that are not any better than ours.
It’s a question that should be asked and answered satisfactorily by every candidate. “What‘s your strategy to recruit local players and why will this work, where others have failed?
I have total confidence in Mark Coyle. Look at men’s hockey, women’s basketball, football. All of them have upgraded their programs with Coyle hires.
It's a "nice to have", not a requirement. In my layperson opinion. At least, not a requirement to get up an running. Once the winning comes, there will just automatically be more willingness. That makes the recruiting job easier.

....we only started losing out on top local talent in mass once we hired Pitino.

Tubby Smith was hired in March of 2007 so I don't think we can really look at the class of 2007 for recruits. For instance, that was the year Cole Aldrich graduated from Jefferson, but he committed to Kansas in November of 2005.

Top 5 MN players (per 247)
2008:
Berggren - wis
Taylor - wis
Battle - Tulsa
Tucker - iowa
Kuipers - Rice

2009:
White and Williams did stay home - top 2 recruits in the state
Dower - Gonzaga
Bruesewitz - wis
Broghammer - Notre Dame

2010:
Noreen - West Virginia
Stefan - LaSalle
Calcaterra - Colorado St
Starks - Columbia
Thomas - Long Beach

2011:
Coleman - Minnesota
Travis - Penn St
Singleton - Northern Iowa
White - Wichita State
Travis - Harvard

2012:
Lumpkin - Northwestern
Zierden - Creighton
Marshall - Missouri State
no other players ranked

2013:
Dearing - wis
Woodward - Penn State
Broman - S. Dakota
Doyle - S. Dakota
Hooker - N. Dakota St.

March 2013 - Tubby Fired

Can we please get over that MOST players don't stay in their home state.

2021 - Per 247 - Top 10

Chet Holmgren - Undecided - Probably Gonzaga
Jaden Hardy - Henderson, NV - UK if not D league
Paolo Banchero - Seattle, WA - Duke
Patrick Baldwin - Susses, WI - Crystal Ball - Milwaukee or Duke (Milwaukee...really?)
Jabari Smith - Tyrone, GA - Auburn <- that's in Alabama
Hunter Sallis - Omaha, NE - Crystal Ball - Gonzaga or UK
AJ Griffin - White Plains, NY - Duke
Caleb Houstan - Montverde, FL - Michigan
JD Davison - Long Beach, CA - UCLA
Daimion Collins - Atlanta, TX - UK
Harrison Ingram - Dallas, TX - Stanford

I posted something similar in another thread about where each of the top 5 in B10 states stayed in their home state. It's not a big number.

We really need to stop bitching about players leaving.

Tubby Smith was hired in March of 2007 so I don't think we can really look at the class of 2007 for recruits. For instance, that was the year Cole Aldrich graduated from Jefferson, but he committed to Kansas in November of 2005.

Top 5 MN players (per 247)
2008:
Berggren - wis
Taylor - wis
Battle - Tulsa
Tucker - iowa
Kuipers - Rice

2009:
White and Williams did stay home - top 2 recruits in the state
Dower - Gonzaga
Bruesewitz - wis
Broghammer - Notre Dame

2010:
Noreen - West Virginia
Stefan - LaSalle
Calcaterra - Colorado St
Starks - Columbia
Thomas - Long Beach

2011:
Coleman - Minnesota
Travis - Penn St
Singleton - Northern Iowa
White - Wichita State
Travis - Harvard

2012:
Lumpkin - Northwestern
Zierden - Creighton
Marshall - Missouri State
no other players ranked

2013:
Dearing - wis
Woodward - Penn State
Broman - S. Dakota
Doyle - S. Dakota
Hooker - N. Dakota St.

March 2013 - Tubby Fired

Can we please get over that MOST players don't stay in their home state.

2021 - Per 247 - Top 10

Chet Holmgren - Undecided - Probably Gonzaga
Jaden Hardy - Henderson, NV - UK if not D league
Paolo Banchero - Seattle, WA - Duke
Patrick Baldwin - Susses, WI - Crystal Ball - Milwaukee or Duke (Milwaukee...really?)
Jabari Smith - Tyrone, GA - Auburn <- that's in Alabama
Hunter Sallis - Omaha, NE - Crystal Ball - Gonzaga or UK
AJ Griffin - White Plains, NY - Duke
Caleb Houstan - Montverde, FL - Michigan
JD Davison - Long Beach, CA - UCLA
Daimion Collins - Atlanta, TX - UK
Harrison Ingram - Dallas, TX - Stanford

I posted something similar in another thread about where each of the top 5 in B10 states stayed in their home state. It's not a big number.

We really need to stop bitching about players leaving.
Yep, I don't know why we as MN think we're entitled to land every top rated in state kid when everywhere else is having the same problem. Is it our best chance at getting a 5*? Yeah, probably, but pretty ridiculous when it becomes an expectation.

The right coach can win here in Minnesota. If they can win in basketball and football at WI, we should be able to do it here. The Badgers sucked as bad as us in football (years ago) and were always terrible in basketball until about 15 years ago. We need this hire to work out (PLEASE). PJ has us on the right track in football, now we just need the right guy in basketball.

The 1978 Gopher Recruiting Class was #1 in the nation

Tent Tucker - Flint, Michigan
Mark Hall - Texas HS All-American
Leo Rautins - Canada
Daryl Mitchell - West Palm Beach, Florida HS All-American
Gary Holmes - Miami, Florida - HS All-American

Not a lot of need for Minnesotans if you could recruit guys like these.

The right coach can win here in Minnesota. If they can win in basketball and football at WI, we should be able to do it here. The Badgers sucked as bad as us in football (years ago) and were always terrible in basketball until about 15 years ago. We need this hire to work out (PLEASE). PJ has us on the right track in football, now we just need the right guy in basketball.

I dare say MN is surrounded by winning programs in their own right. the Dakotas in FCS, Iowa, WI (we dont border NE so they dont count.

If we are in the heart of so much winning, we should be able to win too.

It's not about the 5*'s leaving IMO. But to be successful at MN, I think you generally need at least 1/3-1/2 of your roster to be in-state kids. Currently we have 2, and one is a transfer.

Beilien got to watch the nations worst 3 point shooting team play for two straight games as an analyst. He would be foolish to come here and try get these kids to learn how to shoot. He'd have more enjoyment in retirement.

I like Beilien, but it will surprise me if he ever even considers UMN as a coaching spot.

MOST REASONABLE PEOPLE HERE: Gee, it looks like we can take better advantage of the local talent that's produced around here and snag some good players from time to time.

REACTION: Why does everyone think we're entitled to every single player in the state?!? Stop bitching about players leaving!!!

Top Bottom