John Beilein is my pick. Prove he's not the right choice

You could fire Pitino tonight and have Beilein recruiting in a week.

Too old. Need somebody young like when Pitino was when we hired. He killed it.

Naw, need someone who can deliver in 5 years. He has 2 years left tops

Belien if he cares to coach again can have any job he wants. He aint choosing here lol.
The other jobs most likely to be open at the moment are BC, DePaul, Penn State, Vanderbilt and Iowa State. Which of those is better than MN?

The other jobs most likely to be open at the moment are BC, DePaul, Penn State, Vanderbilt and Iowa State. Which of those is better than MN?

ISU 100%. BC and Vandy would probably attract more with him then we would.

Depaul is in a hot bed. Just need a coach. Been that way for far too long.

But heres the thing, if Belien wants to coach again and lets it out there. Coaches will be getting let go left and right.

Indiana for example says "see ya" to Archie in 5 seconds if they know they got Belien on board.

I'd take Belien immediately, as he knows offensive flow and seems to be healthy again, and very motivated.

Age is no concern, and had he not died a couple of years ago, I'd try to elevate this guy, maybe he'd find us the next Isiah from the 'hood. The guy could sport the rug, glasses, and synthetic fiber coaching shorts like no one else.

OK, I finally watched the 3 hour movie, Hoop Dreams from 1994 last week, after avoiding it for 25 plus years and it was great. I am not sure Hollywood could have cast anyone to play a character like Gene Pingatore better had it not been a documentary. That guy was a something. The whole concept of St. Joe's is pretty insane as well

ISU 100%. BC and Vandy would probably attract more with him then we would.

Depaul is in a hot bed. Just need a coach. Been that way for far too long.

But heres the thing, if Belien wants to coach again and lets it out there. Coaches will be getting let go left and right.

Indiana for example says "see ya" to Archie in 5 seconds if they know they got Belien on board.

In what universe is Iowa State ever a better job than Minnesota? The fact that Fred H got any player he wanted admitted helped make it a better job that it had been, but it still not much to write home about.

None of those jobs are better than Minnesota. DePaul getting into the V2 Catholic Big East does make it a better job than it has been since the Ray Meyer era ended. (Same for Marquette- Al era)

I want a winner. Done with being mediocre. That’s why Coyle is paid the big bucks find that home run guy regardless the age.

The only roadblock with him is $$$. He would break the bank, but if we can have fans again, then he may be worth it.

The only roadblock with him is $$$. He would break the bank, but if we can have fans again, then he may be worth it.

This is wrong. The money isnt the issue. He has to want to coach here. He can get any open job in the country (more or less) and has made more money than he can spend.

This is wrong. The money isnt the issue. He has to want to coach here. He can get any open job in the country (more or less) and has made more money than he can spend.
You think so?

I would think he would want at least $2.5 if not $3 million per year to start negotiations and his assistants would cost too.

Be mighty gracious of him to give us a discount.

I want a winner. Done with being mediocre. That’s why Coyle is paid the big bucks find that home run guy regardless the age.
I'm with ya but unfortunately pessimism has overtaken me. We struck out with the last three coaches. and 1 of them was a "home run hire!"

Not worth arguing about, because he has no interest in coming here.

None of these jobs is better than Minnesota. Legendary arena, new, state of the art practice facility, Big Conference, solid AD, supportive President, very good high school program. the right guy could win here for a decade or more and turn it around in 3 years or less.

None of these jobs is better than Minnesota. Legendary arena, new, state of the art practice facility, Big Conference, solid AD, supportive President, very good high school program. the right guy could win here for a decade or more and turn it around in 3 years or less.
I think it's hugely foolhardy to hire a new coach with the expectation that he'll be able to land the elite local talent. There are more forces at play there than just the coach.

Chet suddenly chooses the Gophers because we hired Beilein? No way

Kids largely want to get away from where they grew up, if given a choice. Plain and simple.

Beilein timeline would be shorter than 3 years i would think.

I think it's hugely foolhardy to hire a new coach with the expectation that he'll be able to land the elite local talent. There are more forces at play there than just the coach.

Chet suddenly chooses the Gophers because we hired Beilein? No way

Kids largely want to get away from where they grew up, if given a choice. Plain and simple.
We used to. Lansburger, Olberding, Saunders, Brewer. We can do it again.

Saunders was from Ohio

We used to. Lansburger, Olberding, Saunders, Brewer. We can do it again.
Maybe it was a thing decades ago. Not saying it will never happen again, obviously Oturu is an exception.

But even Kentucky, Duke, UNC ... don't land all the local top talent.

Top Bottom