Jesperson to announce today

Our record of kids deciding at pizza places is now 0-2.

Was it that long ago that Ralph Sampson III, Colton Iverson, and Devoe Joseph all chose the Gophers during Tubby's first year? I thought that was the baseline for recruiting classes to come. Very, very concerned about the state of the program right now.

I was more concerned about the state of the program for the ten years before Tubby arrived.

Was it that long ago that Ralph Sampson III, Colton Iverson, and Devoe Joseph all chose the Gophers during Tubby's first year? I thought that was the baseline for recruiting classes to come. Very, very concerned about the state of the program right now.

I really wouldn't worry yet, Jesperson will be a good college player but he wont win at virginia, the ACC is too strong. Plus I think Travis will be just as good if not better because of his athletic ceiling and potential. He is also more likely to commit right away i would think.

I have to say this one bugs me more than losing Cory Joseph. I kind of thought Jesperson was attainable. Right next store in Wisconsin, not recruited by the Badgers or the Warriors (I don't think). I guess he made the choice that is going to be good for him so.....good luck.

I have to say this one bugs me more than losing Cory Joseph. I kind of thought Jesperson was attainable. Right next store in Wisconsin, not recruited by the Badgers or the Warriors (I don't think). I guess he made the choice that is going to be good for him so.....good luck.

I agree completely. I don't see why we shouldn't be able to grab guys like him. Do we really need a sweet 16 run to land 3 star recruits?

I completely disagree Cory Joseph was a kid who had the potential to be a difference maker. Jesperson was kind of a "meh" recruit with marginal offers who wasn't even offered by Wisconsin or Marquette. It does bug me to lose him because I would expect Tubby Smith to bat a very high percentage in a situation like Jespersons (offer list, location).

I can see why. (dws)

In the late 1990's the Gophers were pounded by the NCAA for academic fraud. After that, the Gophers played .500 basketball under Monson.

Now the Gophers average 21 W (over 3 seasons, the only 3 consecutive 20+ W years in team history) and you're concerned.

I can see why. (dws)

I was more concerned about the state of the program for the ten years before Tubby arrived.

Did Monson have the program in worse shape? Yes. But now we have a new and possibly bigger problem. A HOF coach Tubby Smith comes here to save the program. If he is unable to do it- that sends a very bad signal to future recruits and even to the next round of coaching prospects. The word on the recruiting trails would be: you won't win there, even Tubby Smith couldn't win big at Minnesota. That's why this is a key moment to maintain and build momentum.

We've had the experience of Holtz coming in building the momentum and then leaving without winning big. Rebuilding that excitement and momentum has yet to be done.

Did Monson have the program in worse shape? Yes. But now we have a new and possibly bigger problem. A HOF coach Tubby Smith comes here to save the program. If he is unable to do it- that sends a very bad signal to future recruits and even to the next round of coaching prospects. The word on the recruiting trails would be: you won't win there, even Tubby Smith couldn't win big at Minnesota. That's why this is a key moment to maintain and build momentum.

We've had the experience of Holtz coming in building the momentum and then leaving without winning big. Rebuilding that excitement and momentum has yet to be done.

That's why 25+ W (instead of 21) was so important (as a goal) in 2010.

Then building to 27 or 28 W in 2011. 25 W is a MINIMUM "must do" this year.

"It came down to which program I trusted the most". Not exactly a ringing endorsement of Tubby and Maturi.

"It came down to which program I trusted the most". Not exactly a ringing endorsement of Tubby and Maturi.

Did you read the article? He wasn't critical of Minnesota. He liked Virginia better.

Is that also Not Exactly A Ringing Endorsement of Mike Brey and Notre Dame?

I completely disagree Cory Joseph was a kid who had the potential to be a difference maker. Jesperson was kind of a "meh" recruit with marginal offers who wasn't even offered by Wisconsin or Marquette. It does bug me to lose him because I would expect Tubby Smith to bat a very high percentage in a situation like Jespersons (offer list, location).

I can't speak for Go Gophers eh? (I'm going to anyways), but I think that is the point we were trying to make.

While there wasn't a lot of progress between year 2 and 3, there has still been progress every year Tubby has been here. He finally beat Purdue and MSU, got to the Big 10 title game this year, and was able to overcome all of the nonsense regarding grades/trouble to get to the tourney. There was a ton of excitement when he got here, ticket sales went up, and everybody's expectations are higher for the team.

They are also returning a better core of players than any gopher team since '97 next year, so I would argue there is plenty of momentum going forward. They will be fine.

While there wasn't a lot of progress between year 2 and 3, there has still been progress every year Tubby has been here. He finally beat Purdue and MSU, got to the Big 10 title game this year, and was able to overcome all of the nonsense regarding grades/trouble to get to the tourney. There was a ton of excitement when he got here, ticket sales went up, and everybody's expectations are higher for the team.

They are also returning a better core of players than any gopher team since '97 next year, so I would argue there is plenty of momentum going forward. They will be fine.

There has been progress, but there hasn't been progress worthy of Tubby's salary. I was thrilled with the hire of Tubby, but I just can't see how this is going to end in anything other than mediocrity. He just lost out on a kid from Merrill Wisconsin. If he can't convince a kid from Merrill Wisconsin to come to the U, we have problems.

He just lost out on a kid from Merrill Wisconsin. If he can't convince a kid from Merrill Wisconsin to come to the U, we have problems.

I hear where you're coming from, but in this example I doubt you can overstate the importance of Bennett and other Wisconsin connections...

There has been progress, but there hasn't been progress worthy of Tubby's salary. I was thrilled with the hire of Tubby, but I just can't see how this is going to end in anything other than mediocrity. He just lost out on a kid from Merrill Wisconsin. If he can't convince a kid from Merrill Wisconsin to come to the U, we have problems.

The player from Merrill WI is the #1 senior in the state.

How often have the Gophers signed Wisconsin kids, much less the #1 player in the state?

How often have the Gophers signed Wisconsin kids, much less the #1 player in the state?

Ok, so you've mentioned Oglesby being the #1 in Iowa, what's your thoughts on getting him?

I hear where you're coming from, but in this example I doubt you can overstate the importance of Bennett and other Wisconsin connections...

Exactly. Tony Bennett coaches Virginia. Tony Bennett's dad is Dick Bennett. One of Dick Bennett's prized pupils is/was Brad Soderberg (former St. Louis head coach, was Wisconsin interim head coach taking Dick Bennett's spot when he retired). Brad Soderberg and Dick Bennett are still quite close. Jesperson's high school coach is Kurt Soderburg. Brother of Brad Soderberg. The Soderbergs father was a long-time high school coach in Wisconsin who knows the Bennetts very well, too. This was a key connection for Jesperson.

And, GW, I know you knew this, I was just adding some of the details for others who might not.

With all the debt issues the UofM is having is there really any chance the practice facility gets built?? I believe its needed to recruit and I dont think Tubby will last too long if it doesnt get done.

I have to agree. Is a new facility going to happen? When?

The loss of Jesperson is a disappointment but I don't want to read too much into it. Tubby's program will move on and up. We could sure use some good news though. It's been a brutal 4 months. 8 Months?

I have to agree. Is a new facility going to happen? When?

The loss of Jesperson is a disappointment but I don't want to read too much into it. Tubby's program will move on and up. We could sure use some good news though. It's been a brutal 4 months. 8 Months?

Somewhere around 6 months ago this looked liked a very possible line-up for the 2010 Gophers

C Sampson/Iverson
PF Mbakwe/White
SF Hoffarber/Carter
SG D. Joseph/Hollins
PG C. Joseph/Nolen/Cobbs

C.Joseph chose Texas, Royce never made up with administration, Carter left, Cobbs left, and Mbakwe is still up in the air.

I'd say losing out on key components of a team that would have had the talent to win the Big Ten qualifies as brutal.

How many posts are you going to make apologizing for The Guy You Met Randomly One Time At A Holiday Inn Express?

He lost this kid. I get it. Recruiting is a failure effort. You lose more than you win - unless you're at one of the college basketball meccas. But you do realize there are over-reactionary idiots that post here, right? Is that who you really feel compelled to respond to?

However, the state of the program currently is below what I would have expected at this point. So losing a kid like Jesperson, who was clearly a priority, is a disappointment for a marquee coach like Orlando.

Your answer should be, "we wanted him . . . and we lost him - disappointing - we need to get the next guy on the list."

Your manic apologizing for Tubby is beyond old and tired and annoying and pathetic.

How many posts are you going to make apologizing for The Guy You Met Randomly One Time At A Holiday Inn Express?

He lost this kid. I get it. Recruiting is a failure effort. You lose more than you win - unless you're at one of the college basketball meccas. But you do realize there are over-reactionary idiots that post here, right? Is that who you really feel compelled to respond to?

However, the state of the program currently is below what I would have expected at this point. So losing a kid like Jesperson, who was clearly a priority, is a disappointment for a marquee coach like Orlando.

Your answer should be, "we wanted him . . . and we lost him - disappointing - we need to get the next guy on the list."

Your manic apologizing for Tubby is beyond old and tired and annoying and pathetic.

Dodged the point. Recruiting is MOSTLY a series of failures. You only sign 10% to 20% of your targets.

I'll ignore your moronic comments otherwise.

UWOle has a pretty good connection with the Jesperson's but I'm not sure how much he wants to share but he did say that this one's really been over in Paul's mind for quite awhile, really since the Virginia camp. The Bennett-Wisconsin connection was too much for almost anyone to overcome. Wisconsin offering may have been the only chance another school had and even that would not be a sure thing.

UWOle has a pretty good connection with the Jesperson's but I'm not sure how much he wants to share but he did say that this one's really been over in Paul's mind for quite awhile, really since the Virginia camp. The Bennett-Wisconsin connection was too much for almost anyone to overcome. Wisconsin offering may have been the only chance another school had and even that would not be a sure thing.

Virginia is an excellent choice. ACC school, play against the best of the best. Superb academics. Beautiful campus and surrounding area.

The younger Bennett will do well there. He won in PULLMAN (Wash St) which is VERY hard to do.

Exactly. Tony Bennett coaches Virginia. Tony Bennett's dad is Dick Bennett. One of Dick Bennett's prized pupils is/was Brad Soderberg (former St. Louis head coach, was Wisconsin interim head coach taking Dick Bennett's spot when he retired). Brad Soderberg and Dick Bennett are still quite close. Jesperson's high school coach is Kurt Soderburg. Brother of Brad Soderberg. The Soderbergs father was a long-time high school coach in Wisconsin who knows the Bennetts very well, too. This was a key connection for Jesperson.

And, GW, I know you knew this, I was just adding some of the details for others who might not.

Valid points on the connections; however, a big-time coach can overcome connections. Tubby is the kind of coach that can't currently overcome these types of recruiting barriers, so we are going to be stuck at 10-8, 9-9 for the rest of his tenure.

Valid points on the connections; however, a big-time coach can overcome connections. Tubby is the kind of coach that can't currently overcome these types of recruiting barriers, so we are going to be stuck at 10-8, 9-9 for the rest of his tenure.

I think the 2011 (and beyond) Big Ten results are yet to be determined.

The Gophers have a talented roster. Certainly 12 W or 13 W are possible.

Even when Gopher Lady asked Paul about other schools he would like to be offered by, he said Virginia. GH: What schools would you like offers from besides Minnesota?
PJ: Virginia would be a good school to get an offer from.

Then I think it was UWOle mentioned that instead of attending a camp in Wisconsin he went to the camp at UofV. That's when I first heard about his contacts with the Bennetts. Would have been a nice catch but... When does Oglesby plan to make his decision? Anyone know?

Top Bottom