Jedd Fisch

Yes he did, and he beat Kevin Smith, who said the Lions were going to "definitely" make the playoffs this past season and how they weren't far off and just a play or players or two short. Oh yeah, and that was after they had just gone 0-16.

No way Fisch's statement is more preposterous than that.

Nothing personal, you can listen to whomever you want, but I can't even begin to bring my self to listen to Dead Air Dan the Coma Man for even a moment. When I hear that grating voice even during a commercial I frantically punch buttons until I hear something else.

Say what you want about Common, but that Preposterous Statement contest is gold.

Yes he did, and he beat Kevin Smith, who said the Lions were going to "definitely" make the playoffs this past season and how they weren't far off and just a play or players or two short. Oh yeah, and that was after they had just gone 0-16.

Think what you want about Smith vs Fisch's comments and their level of preposterousness, I am glad he is no longer the OC at UMN. His body of work, er, lack of, obviously influenced the decision makers.

Which do you think will happen first? The Lions making the playoffs or the Gophers playing in the Rose Bowl?

Yes, the Lions are terrible, but they have actually been in the playoffs in the last 40 years.

Another stupid bit of KFAN, I have an idea, let's grow a culture of stupid catch phrases and pointless discussions, mix in a complete disdain for anything detailed or intelligent when it comes to sports related, and add in pompous radio personalities who think they are golden regardless of how they regard or discuss the hometown teams and the fans. Seriously can they be any more arrogant? The public trashing of anything U of M needs to end, it's getting stupid.
Thank god for the new format on 1500, Doogie, Joe Anderson, et al. I even can stand Reusse, he's miserable, pessimistic, and bitingly sarcastic but not in a "look at me, my life is a stupid bit, but I'm still way better than you" way. F KFAN.

Nothing personal, you can listen to whomever you want, but I can't even begin to bring my self to listen to Dead Air Dan the Coma Man for even a moment. When I hear that grating voice even during a commercial I frantically punch buttons until I hear something else.
First posted 02/23/10:
For sure "Dead Air" Dan "The Coma Man" is first to go.

I'm not a huge Common fan or anything, but that joke wasn't funny when you told it almost a month ago. Still isn't funny or clever now.

Another stupid bit of KFAN, I have an idea, let's grow a culture of stupid catch phrases and pointless discussions, mix in a complete disdain for anything detailed or intelligent when it comes to sports related, and add in pompous radio personalities who think they are golden regardless of how they regard or discuss the hometown teams and the fans. Seriously can they be any more arrogant? The public trashing of anything U of M needs to end, it's getting stupid.
Thank god for the new format on 1500, Doogie, Joe Anderson, et al. I even can stand Reusse, he's miserable, pessimistic, and bitingly sarcastic but not in a "look at me, my life is a stupid bit, but I'm still way better than you" way. F KFAN.

Wow. Because sports are something that should be taken that seriously, all the time.

:rolleyes:

Wow. Because sports are something that should be taken that seriously, all the time.

:rolleyes:

Or I suppose sports should never be taken seriously, ever, which is pretty much KFAN's programming right now.
Sports and those who enjoy detailed, thoughtful, and intelligent coverage of sports are only to be mocked, downplayed, ignored, and even insulted, because it's much better to cover the host's weekend plans, or some political issue, or some bit. Riiiiight.

An off the cuff, smile as you say it comment gets taken seriously? Yep, good bit.

First posted 02/23/10:

I'm not a huge Common fan or anything, but that joke wasn't funny when you told it almost a month ago. Still isn't funny or clever now.

Good lord you are thin skinned.

Or I suppose sports should never be taken seriously, ever, which is pretty much KFAN's programming right now.
Sports and those who enjoy detailed, thoughtful, and intelligent coverage of sports are only to be mocked, downplayed, ignored, and even insulted, because it's much better to cover the host's weekend plans, or some political issue, or some bit. Riiiiight.

+1 - I emailed this comment to KFAN as a comment on their station. btw, how do they call themselves a "FAN" when common talks mostly gibberish and Barreiro talks mostly politics?

Interesting reactions to comments made by the local media.

Any reactions to the national media's comments about the Gophers, specifically Stewart Mandel of SI?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/stewart_mandel/03/15/big-ten-spring/index.html

Brewster's stock, meanwhile, seemed to plummet seemingly overnight. After earning raves for bringing a rare top 20 recruiting class to Minnesota in 2008 and following it with a six-win improvement, the third-year coach garnered heavy criticism for the Gophers' return to mediocrity (6-7), especially on offense, where quarterback Adam Weber struggled mightily down the stretch. (Losing star receiver Eric Decker to injury certainly didn't help.) There's still talent there, but now Brewster faces the challenge of replacing nearly his entire starting defense. And he has to win over an athletic director, Joel Maturi, with whom his relationship reportedly soured long ago.

Wow, that is a preposterous statement.

USC wasn't even close to making the Rose Bowl.

Interesting reactions to comments made by the local media.

Any reactions to the national media's comments about the Gophers, specifically Stewart Mandel of SI?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/stewart_mandel/03/15/big-ten-spring/index.html

Brewster's stock, meanwhile, seemed to plummet seemingly overnight. After earning raves for bringing a rare top 20 recruiting class to Minnesota in 2008 and following it with a six-win improvement, the third-year coach garnered heavy criticism for the Gophers' return to mediocrity (6-7), especially on offense, where quarterback Adam Weber struggled mightily down the stretch. (Losing star receiver Eric Decker to injury certainly didn't help.) There's still talent there, but now Brewster faces the challenge of replacing nearly his entire starting defense. And he has to win over an athletic director, Joel Maturi, with whom his relationship reportedly soured long ago.

While I don't want to hijack a thread, especially one that highlights KFAN's ridiculousness, I'll give a national media opinion. BTW I'd use the term "media" very loosely when describing KFAN, more like local cesspool of radio personalities that sometimes refer to sports as subject matter.

Mandel's take is ok, the 08 turnaround was much overhyped nationally. We all knew the team was better than 1-11 in 07. We all knew it was worse than 7-5 in 08. There is still talent here as he correcty points out.
It's a fair analysis, though I think the large amount of young contributors on D last year softens the blow of losing senior defenders. the offense and specifically the running offense is still the #1 concern going forward.

You mean he still has a show? Duluth dropped KFAN a while back which was no loss.

Good lord you are thin skinned.

"Thin skinned"? I think you're mixing up your adjectives. How can I be "thin skinned" for bringing up something that doesn't personally affect me in any way whatsoever?

Silly me, I just think that if someone is going to take the time to make a post that was purposely intended to be humorous, it should actually be, you know, funny. The only thing that was offensive to was any normal person's sense of humor.

Ole, I'm gonna go ahead and assume that you have an awesome sense of humor.

"Thin skinned"? I think you're mixing up your adjectives. How can I be "thin skinned" for bringing up something that doesn't personally affect me in any way whatsoever?

Silly me, I just think that if someone is going to take the time to make a post that was purposely intended to be humorous, it should actually be, you know, funny. The only thing that was offensive to was any normal person's sense of humor.

Since it appears that you took the time to look through old posts to find a similar reference would infer that you took that personally, or personally have something against me/my post.

From now on I will have you vet all my posts, since you have deemed yourself the arbiter of all things humorous.

Since it appears that you took the time to look through old posts to find a similar reference would infer that you took that personally, or personally have something against me/my post.

From now on I will have you vet all my posts, since you have deemed yourself the arbiter of all things humorous.

Rather, I remember you making that lame joke previously. I only looked through your old posts to confirm the exact date that the assault against humor took place.

And, as I've said, the only way it offended me personally was as a person who enjoys things that are funny. I have no problem with you whatsoever. Please try to differentiate yourself and your (lack of) comedic abilities.

Another KFAN thread spins out of orbit. Anybody else notice that Pmack moved to 1500? He'll be teamed up with Reusse.

Another KFAN thread spins out of orbit. Anybody else notice that Pmack moved to 1500? He'll be teamed up with Reusse.

I heard him the other day. I fugured he was a free agent and would be on both. If 1500 has him exclusively, that is great for them.

Ole, I'm gonna go ahead and assume that you have an awesome sense of humor.

Actually I really do; I just don't think a sports station should focus on comedy routines and bits more than the nuts and bolts news and inner workings of sports teams that matter to it's listening audience. I frickin love joking around and having a great time, but I also love talking serious sports and bouncing around sports topics of discussion.
They don't identify themselves as KFAN the comedy station, it's KFAN the sports station.

I literally can't listen to KFAN anymore because they've become so arrogant, especially when it comes to Gopher sports. If anyone were to challenge them with an intelligent call in, they rip it, discount it, or laugh at it until it's no longer valid. Call in sometime and ask an informed Gopher football question with any opinion other than " Brewster sucks, the program's a joke, the university's a joke, the fans' are jokes." They'll either ignore it or blast it.

but go ahead and listen to Dan Cole if you want, don't turn off the radio when it goes to dead air for 15 seconds though, that's just comedy gold in progress.

Which do you think will happen first? The Lions making the playoffs or the Gophers playing in the Rose Bowl?

Yes, the Lions are terrible, but they have actually been in the playoffs in the last 40 years.

Haha, I know what you mean. But I just can't get over someone who just went 0-16 saying they were a play or player away from making the playoffs. That is just beyond ridiculous. But then again, so is talking about a Rose Bowl when you haven't been there in 40 years. I'll give it to ya on that one. I really can't argue either statement winning, they were both quality.

Common is one of the few shows I listen to occasionally cause the guy isn't there for true, in depth sports talk, he's just entertainment. I laugh during his show, and I thought this preposterous statement tournament was genius lol. I mean some of the ones they've collected already for 2010...wow. I guess I don't find his lack of depth in sports talk annoying because I know that's not his schtick. My pet peeve is more when a host tries to act like they know something about a topic, but really don't have a clue, and they'll criticize and critique it as though they're an expert.

Since this thread is supposed to be about Fisch, did anyone see the Fox Sports article talking about how "Jedd Fisch revitalized an anemic Gophers offense"? I couldn't help but laugh at that. I'm glad the reporter did his homework on that one.

Since this thread is supposed to be about Fisch, did anyone see the Fox Sports article talking about how "Jedd Fisch revitalized an anemic Gophers offense"? I couldn't help but laugh at that. I'm glad the reporter did his homework on that one.

The full article is here - Fisch revitalized Gopher Offense???

Then there’s Jedd Fisch, the Matt Damon of this crew. Also just 33, Fisch worked under Shanahan in Denver and was the offensive coordinator at the University of Minnesota in ’09. With the Gophers, Fisch revitalized a once-anemic offense and got the most out of an offense based around Eric Decker, one of the finest receivers in the college game. Fisch will be coaching the quarterbacks in Seattle.

That's top notch reporting there by Fox Sports.

It reminds me of the days when Sports Illustrated would send you a "Season in Review" of your favorite NFL team for renewing your subscription. They would make any team sound like they were so close to the Super Bowl that upcoming year.

"Even though the Bengals dropped their next 13 games in a row by double digits, the building blocks are in place for a Super Bowl run with the emergence of deadly WR duo Carl Pickens & Darnay Scott. With Jeff Blake at the helm, Cincinnati is definitely an AFC contender coming into the 1996 season."

Funny stuff.

Top Bottom