JD Spielman. RTB?

We all know that there is a plan in place. We just don't know what it is. I personally think Fleck knows what that plan is. It may include us or it may not. He is a great player that I believe will fit in well here and be a leader if he decides to come here. We just need to be patient and allow the process to play out.

The countdown to game 1 thread is down to 74 days. Nick Connelly, RIP. Official practices start in July. It’s beginning to feel more and more as though JD will sit out the year, unless a welcome surprise is forthcoming from the NCAA very soon.

Sorry if this is the wrong place for this post, but I don’t think Spielman is coming. I predict that he sits out the year, and it’s a good year to sit out, to prepare for the 2021 draft.
I guess I don't know why he'd do that vs. signing an agent and going supplemental draft. Even if he doesn't get drafted (I think he would), he'd be able to be signed as a free agent after. I don't see the advantage of waiting until next year. If you sit out a year, people forget about you, have time to pick apart your game more, you give more players opportunities to look better than you, etc.

Only reason I can think of would be if he still needs help dealing with his mental health. Then I could see where that strategy would make sense.

Sorry if this is the wrong place for this post, but I don’t think Spielman is coming. I predict that he sits out the year, and it’s a good year to sit out, to prepare for the 2021 draft.
Is this your gut feeling or based on rumors from those closer to being "in the know"?

If the season goes to hell, then yeah, it would've been the right call. But at this point I'm not convinced that the full season won't be played, in which case he could've played the year, built up his draft stock higher, and learned a thing or two from Simon/Fleck.

You're never guaranteed anything beyond your rookie contract, in the NFL. So getting that as high as you can, is the best investment you can make.

And yes, that is 100% a selfish argument. At the end of the day, he needs to do whatever is in his own best interest, and I fully believe he will.

I guess I don't know why he'd do that vs. signing an agent and going supplemental draft. Even if he doesn't get drafted (I think he would), he'd be able to be signed as a free agent after. I don't see the advantage of waiting until next year. If you sit out a year, people forget about you, have time to pick apart your game more, you give more players opportunities to look better than you, etc.

Only reason I can think of would be if he still needs help dealing with his mental health. Then I could see where that strategy would make sense.
Somehow, I think his mental health has been "healed" being at home near family. Wild guess

We all know that there is a plan in place. We just don't know what it is. I personally think Fleck knows what that plan is. It may include us or it may not. He is a great player that I believe will fit in well here and be a leader if he decides to come here. We just need to be patient and allow the process to play out.
I think the bolded is a fair assumption.

I have heard, whether it is reliable or not, that he is looking to head outside of the Big 10.

Even if PJ Fleck knows, he'll keep the secret close to his chest.

I have heard, whether it is reliable or not, that he is looking to head outside of the Big 10.
Unless it's Iowa State, then he has no chance at a waiver. Zero.

Wonder if the Big Ten is telling him they will not allow him to transfer within the conference, without sitting out for a year?

Wild speculation.

Wonder if the Big Ten is telling him they will not allow him to transfer within the conference, without sitting out for a year?

I don't think the Big Ten can tell him that. The Big Ten allows such transfers.

A tenth-hand rumor I heard from someone who has some connections to the Vikings is the Spielmans told Nebraska that JD would not transfer to a Big Ten school as a courtesy to the Huskers. With everything as quiet as it is on the Gopher side of things, that seems to fit. Again, this is a total rumor, no idea if it has legs, nothing close to being "inside." So take it for what it is worth.

This guy seems to think it will be Oregon State or NDSU for JD. Oregon State would seem a difficult waiver situation. NDSU of course would be the simplest, as no waiver is required from an eligibility standpoint. Might still need an academic waiver to happen, which is likely needed no matter where he goes.

I don't think the Big Ten can tell him that. The Big Ten allows such transfers.

A tenth-hand rumor I heard from someone who has some connections to the Vikings is the Spielmans told Nebraska that JD would not transfer to a Big Ten school as a courtesy to the Huskers. With everything as quiet as it is on the Gopher side of things, that seems to fit. Again, this is a total rumor, no idea if it has legs, nothing close to being "inside." So take it for what it is worth.

This guy seems to think it will be Oregon State or NDSU for JD. Oregon State would seem a difficult waiver situation. NDSU of course would be the simplest, as no waiver is required from an eligibility standpoint. Might still need an academic waiver to happen, which is likely needed no matter where he goes.
But then, that’s just silly.

Unless things were toxic in Lincoln ... why leave then?? I don’t get it.

The goal is to be best prepared for NFL draft 2021. Why would staying in Lincoln do that less well than going to Oregon St or Fargo??

Coming to Mpls would do it at least as well, plus the benefit of being on a winning team.

Did they say on KFAN on 330ish that JD ISNT going to Minnesota? (they were talking about gophers odds etc)

as far as NDSU goes, NDSU has 2 great WRS already with Christian Watson & Pheonix Sproles.

However with QB Trey Lance & OT Dillon Radunz getting 1st Round NFL grades right now, JD would have plenty of NFL scouts at each game

Did they say on KFAN on 330ish that JD ISNT going to Minnesota? (they were talking about gophers odds etc)

as far as NDSU goes, NDSU has 2 great WRS already with Christian Watson & Pheonix Sproles.

However with QB Trey Lance & OT Dillon Radunz getting 1st Round NFL grades right now, JD would have plenty of NFL scouts at each game
Pretty sure spielman is better then any WR NDSU has, also your name is terrible and no one cares about jv championships

NDSU runs the ball. That’s their identity. Their QB had a bunch of rushing yards (good passer also, though).

Makes no sense. He would’ve been way better off staying in Lincoln, then.

Maybe Iowa St?

so no 1 else heard KFAN at 330? about JD ?

HMMMM

ps. relax big Gopher. we can look at the wrs in 2 years. I will continue to cheer for Minnesota Gophers & I touched the AXE on the field at Camp Randall it was awesome t

Pretty sure spielman is better then any WR NDSU has, also your name is terrible and no one cares about jv championships

OMG ND is going to be amazing...scouts at every game just shows how good the fighting Sioux are going to be. I'm so excited I have to pee.

so is JD gonna be a gopher?
If he plays college football in 2020, it will be as a Gopher. That is his only option. He's not going to step down from Nebraska football to FCS, please. And he's not going to get a waiver anywhere else, save perhaps Iowa St.

The bigger question it seems, is if he will play college football at all this year. Apparently, some people don't think so. Which just makes no sense to me, at all. But if he really does have something going on upstairs, then sure, he needs to get that taken care of.

If he plays college football in 2020, it will be as a Gopher. That is his only option. He's not going to step down from Nebraska football to FCS, please. And he's not going to get a waiver anywhere else, save perhaps Iowa St.

The bigger question it seems, is if he will play college football at all this year. Apparently, some people don't think so. Which just makes no sense to me, at all. But if he really does have something going on upstairs, then sure, he needs to get that taken care of.

I haven't been reading/posting on Gopherhole as much lately (too little football and too much political COVID discussion for my tastes), but I seemed to have missed something about JD's mental health? Is this a known issue that he's talked about or are people just speculating?

I haven't been reading/posting on Gopherhole as much lately (too little football and too much political COVID discussion for my tastes), but I seemed to have missed something about JD's mental health? Is this a known issue that he's talked about or are people just speculating?
Yeah it was known he left Lincoln this spring because of mental health reasons. I don’t think he enrolled in the semester or maybe didn’t finish it.

Top Bottom