JD Spielman. RTB?

He was anticipated to be the starting QB in 2017 had the coaching change not occurred. I have no doubt he would have been great in that type of offense. It will forever be a mystery to me why Fleck did not go with him in 2017 as QB...it would have added another serious run threat to that very basic, vanilla offense they decided to run.
It was baffling to everyone. Fleck wanted Croft. But we know how that worked out.

Hence my guess that, for whatever reason, Fleck was so unimpressed with Green that he wouldn’t even give him a chance at QB.

For all we know, maybe it was KC’s call.

It was baffling to everyone. Fleck wanted Croft. But we know how that worked out.

Hence my guess that, for whatever reason, Fleck was so unimpressed with Green that he wouldn’t even give him a chance at QB.

I think the better possibility is that they didn't actually explore it to know what they had in Green.

I think the better possibility is that they didn't actually explore it to know what they had in Green.
Could be. But then again, if Green was running the scout team the whole fall ... Fleck could watch that, and/or get the opinion of the defensive coaches about how he was performing against the starting D.

I had heard that Green was all over the place throwing the ball when Claeys was there, 2016. I don't really know specifics other than I was told by a buddy who was a former walk on that he would make some great throws/plays in practice and then would completely miss throws other times. I do agree that putting Green in an O like Leidner was in, could have had some success though.

Rhoda was the #1 Croft was #2 in Fall so I don't think that was the case. (responding to #273)

I had heard that Green was all over the place throwing the ball when Claeys was there, 2016. I don't really know specifics other than I was told by a buddy who was a former walk on that he would make some great throws/plays in practice and then would completely miss throws other times. I do agree that putting Green in an O like Leidner was in, could have had some success though.
I was at a spring practice during flecks first year and green did not throw the ball well against the gophers D. I was only at one practice but croft looked the best of the group that day

From what I recall it just became quickly clear in the coaches' minds that he was the third best QB, but was so athletically talented that they didn't want him just sitting on the bench so changed his position.

I'm also not sure he would have started w/o the coaching change. I don't think Claeys signed McLaurin just to hold a clipboard. I think that was a sign he was at least unsure about Green.

Rhoda was the #1 Croft was #2 in Fall so I don't think that was the case. (responding to #273)
Why would what you say here mean that wasn’t the case (that Green was running the scout team)?

I suspect he 'wanted Croft' ... out of what he had for options.

Don’t get me wrong, Croft looked like a Heisman candidate vs Nebraska.

But we’ll ... you all know the rest.

I was at a spring practice during flecks first year and green did not throw the ball well against the gophers D. I was only at one practice but croft looked the best of the group that day
Which is scary because Croft has a career 41% completion rate. Absolutely brutal as a passer.

Just think it is more likely the backup QB did.
I thought usually the top 2 are practicing the offense plays each week to prepare for the game, and the 3rd (or lower) run the scout team.

Could be wrong!

Just think it is more likely the backup QB did.

I thought usually the top 2 are practicing the offense plays each week to prepare for the game, and the 3rd (or lower) run the scout team.

Could be wrong!

The No. 2 QB does not run the scout team. It is usually the No. 3 or No. 4.

I actually think Tanner Morgan was the scout team QB for most of 2017.

Last edited:

He was anticipated to be the starting QB in 2017 had the coaching change not occurred. I have no doubt he would have been great in that type of offense. It will forever be a mystery to me why Fleck did not go with him in 2017 as QB...it would have added another serious run threat to that very basic, vanilla offense they decided to run.
Fleck didn't put in Green at QB in 2017 as he was determined to implement his office starting right then and Green didn't fit it. He quite literally sacrificed wins to get a jump start on implementing his offense. I didn't have an issue with that particular sacrifice - it was the other decisions he made that year at the clear expense of trying to win a game (not the same as trying to lose) that bugged me to no end.

It will forever be a mystery to me why Fleck did not go with him in 2017 as QB...it would have added another serious run threat to that very basic, vanilla offense they decided to run.

Obviously it was because Croft was a great leader of men and fully bought in to Fleck's culture/system.

This is JD's thread, but what the heck the conversation is good in this recruiting doldrums.

IRC, Seth Green was first offered at Oregon as QB but they changed their mind and offered him TE instead. Also, I think his star ratings got downgraded.

The knock against him at the time was his throwing mechanics. There was something they didn't like.

Some players are born/meant to be QB. Tanner Morgan is that kind of player. His dad was his coach early in life. He coached and guided him until high school. He had the drive then, and people saw early on he had all the attributes to be a successful college QB.

It is not a knock on Seth, but I don't think Seth had the same kind of developmental trajectory to be a starter at QB as Tanner. My hunch is he didn't have as many boxes checked compared to him. This is just my speculation. When he was a senior, I think he got beaten out as a starter by a Junior in Allen HS.

You don't keep Seth on the bench. He is too athletic to do that. He can make a difference in many ways. He got his team first attitude right. Having many selfless guys on the team will get you a victory against an Auburn or other teams who may be more talented to a man. But, when you have a team loaded with people like Seth and Bryce Witham you win more often. They know how to play team football with an attitude.

Last edited:

Where is JD Spielman going?
When there's actually something to report on that front, trust me we'll be talking about that.

There hasn't been anything, for some time.

So I'll continue with the tangent, as I please. Thanks

Fleck didn't put in Green at QB in 2017 as he was determined to implement his office starting right then and Green didn't fit it.

Why did Croft fit it, but Green didn't? Honest question.

The answer could be as simple as: Green just really wasn't that good at throwing the ball/making good decisions, in actual live plays/scenarios.

But that to me is just a basic football skills thing, not anything to do with our particular offense.

Last edited:

Yeah. And to me that says that consistency is the number one thing they look for in a QB

Why did Croft fit it, but Green didn't? Honest question.

The answer could be as simple as: Green just really wasn't that good at throwing the ball/making good decisions, in actual live plays/scenarios.

But that to me is just a basic football skills thing, not anything to do with our particular offense.
Green wasn’t a long term option at QB but could be a long term option at another place = move him right away and get him playing the other spot and getting better at it

Croft wasn’t an option at wideout or H back = leave him at QB

Green wasn’t a long term option at QB but could be a long term option at another place = move him right away and get him playing the other spot and getting better at it

Croft wasn’t an option at wideout or H back = leave him at QB
Well, that didn't really work out. Don't get me wrong, we all appreciate what Green does for us, but it is extremely limited in scope.

Top Bottom